Peter King's New Article - 29th Time The Charm?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/03/cleveland-browns-draft-baker-mayfield

Some great stuff in here. It's genuinely exciting to get such an inside look into how things played out. Some highlights:

When the GM compared the three reports he noted not only that all three men (Dorsey, Wolf, McCloughan) rated Mayfield first, but also this: Wolf’s grade was identical to Dorsey’s 8.5 on the 1.0-to-9.0 scouting scale they’d learned with the Packers. (Dorsey retained the grading system with the Chiefs and now in Cleveland.) An 8.5 is worthy of a top 10 pick in any draft. “Keep in mind,” Wolf says, “I had no horse in the race. I was in Green Bay. We weren’t taking a quarterback in the first round. But to me, Mayfield was clearly the best guy.” McCloughan graded on a different scale, where the lower the number the better, and he gave Mayfield a 1.1. That, in Packers parlance, is roughly an 8.5.

Hue Jax on Baker:

Talent evaluators often have a confirmation bias: They hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see. “Normally I’m a guy who likes the bigger quarterbacks, with a physical presence and a big arm,” Jackson says. “Baker was the outlier for me.”

On Baker's workout w/ the Browns in Oklahoma:

Then something happened the next morning—something that showed the kind of respect Mayfield’s teammates had for him. When he walked into the Sooners’ indoor practice facility for his workout, seven teammates were there, stretching on the other end of the field, ready to catch his passes. Mayfield cupped his hands and called out a signal: “Hee-hee!

Hue on Baker's performance in that workout - That workout was the moment Dorsey knew this was their guy:

The workout went great, Jackson says. “I told him, ‘I want you to hit all your receivers in the face.’ He said O.K. And he did—through the whole workout. The arm talent is what I’ll always remember from that day. It’s NFL arm talent.”

One more quote from the Dorse:

“This is unreal,” he said, in his orange-block-lettered CLEVELAND BROWNS sweatshirt. “I love football history so much, and here I am, the general manager of the Cleveland Browns. I’m a part of the history of this great franchise now. I will do everything in my power, every day, with every bit of my God-given ability, to build this team back up to what the people who love the Browns deserve. You know what was cool about sitting with Baker Mayfield for 40 minutes [on Friday]? He is so genuinely excited to be here. He is all about, ‘What can I do today to make us better?’ And that’s how I am.”

2 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Good article. I don't know if I buy it 100% but good insight. I think after the pick they kinda gotta say he was our guy the whole time but maybe I'm wrong. 

There is no reason to doubt them.  The draft is done.  No more posturing needed.  If he were not their guy they would not have drafted him.  It’s not like some other team jumped up and took their guy before them.

7 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

@Mind Character I wanted to bring this up because you harp on Highsmith for not going with the guy he initially liked...He was in the minority. Wolf, McCloughan, and Dorsey all preferred Baker based on the eye test. This also disputes your intel that said Wolf was a Darnold guy.

LOL... you're hilarious... after the media and public comments misled you throughout the whole draft process... instead of having a skeptical eye on such things... you're now back to taking every word as fact or evidence of what really happened.

You're always @'in me to tell me how my intel was wrong somehow when the vast super-majority of the information has been confirmed to be true including all kinds of stuff that went in passing (the idea of Dorsey using stats and Depo's analytics reports to convince Jimmy that Baker was the guy via the analytics dept and personnel chiefs)...

But forget that...

1. Did Eliot Wolf ever prefer Darnold? How do you know?

---From the Highsmith and Wolf presser, you'd never have thought Highsmith was a Darnold guy at first except for the rare instance where a FO guy is candid in a setting. Therefore, what is said in pressers is not representative of truth... That type of candidness is not Eliot Wolf's style and he never had that opportunity on the record, but just like Highsmith... Eliot Wolf had Darnold by a slight margin, but gave it to Baker at the end based on the emotional "it factor" and how Baker excelled through the post-season process and based on his initial impression of Baker last year when scouting QBs... as I said before Eliot Wolf had Darnold ahead of Baker at the beginning but always liked Baker but was worried about off-field issues and I'm sure remembered his father's and Ted Thompson's scouting maxim that they're known for "you don't pass on premium talent with no red flags for a better one with red flags"... you discount that I also said in another post after the combine report that " my b.i.l. says Eliot Wolf is now in the Mayfield camp with HighSmith leaving only Andrew Berry and Kovash as personnel guys in the Darnold camp" ... that means that I also knew via the intel that Baker was Wolf's guy in the end as well...

All Wolf said was that he thought Baker was the best of the bunch and that at the Texas game he loved how his teammates instantly gravitated toward him.... that's it... if you take that as your proof... I can't help you man...the Peter King story is a classic Peter King draft story... these things never have info that surprises people in the business but it always captures the attention of the public that reads it as gospel insiderism...

What grade did he Wolf have on Darnold last year? ... it's Peter King that says Baker was at the top... based on the GB-Thompson-Wolf Method... you grade the film to get a raw score then you subtract or add points based on a football character (on-field) and football character (off-field)....the info back then from that scout that got to my b.i.l.. indicated that Darnold was slightly ahead of Baker based the full score... then when I came out and said "Wolf is now in the Baker camp..." maybe Baker's score was inflated because he had less off-field concerns when meeting him and getting additional info.

--- What is said post-draft is not always representative of reality. In fact, Hue Jackson has stated that "Baker Mayfield" was his guy after the private workout...when behind closed doors that was the story that Dorsey and Hue decided to go with so Baker could feel that they were both all in on him and aligned at the same time. People in the business after all this scouting turnover this week (the turnover will be reported to the media and public soon) know that Zampese, Haley, and Hue were all-in on Darnold...  so, is Hue lying or is he doing what every single coach and organization does after the organization decides to go in a particular direction...

We're talking about the number 1 pick in the draft.. a great collegiate player that people love... the fact that everything post-draft indicates Baker was Hue's guy, Wolf, McCloughan,Highsmith, and Dorsey's guy. Haley's guy... there are articles that he is Zampese's guy... what that's really evidence of is that the organization is truly aligned going forward... it's not proof of what transpired behind the scenes... no matter what Peter King conveys to the masses as truth...

In the end,such articles should get Browns fans excited because the organization is truly all in on a guy... and not looking back... that's good...

6 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Good article. I don't know if I buy it 100% but good insight. I think after the pick they kinda gotta say he was our guy the whole time but maybe I'm wrong. 

This guy has seen more than a few drafts and post-draft/ write-ups ...

They follow the same formula... "We always loved the guy we picked... we all are in agreement... "

After stuff goes left or people get fired... "We never wanted that guy... there wasn't consensus"

King's articles always read well...

Archived