Timmy Jernigan out 4-6 months after back surgery

Phire

The injury easily could have ended Jernigan's time in Philadelphia, with the Eagles releasing him and declining to pay him being that he suffered the injury during an off-season workout in March. But in a generous gesture, the Eagles reworked his contract and now will pay him $3 million guaranteed this season, but no longer will be liable for the $11 million guaranteed that was due next season, as part of the four-year $48M extension he signed after being acquired in a trade with Baltimore.

Jernigan underwent the back surgery last week with Dr. Robert Watkins, per a source.

Under terms of the new contract, the final three years of Jernigan's deal are now option years, with Jernigan scheduled to make $11M in 2019, $12M in 2020 and $12M in 2021, as was the case under the previous terms, however none of that money is now guaranteed.

Not sure if this is something he dealt with during the season or if something came up recently... he had surgery last week, months after the Super Bowl. I wonder if he aggravated it during a workout or something, I'm not sure.

Just now, Jroc04 said:

wth man. This just happen? Why didn't he get the surgery months ago? Big man, back problems never good. 

Exactly this. I don't understand why you wait until three months after the Super Bowl took place in order to start this procedure. Hopefully more details come out and explain this because if he did have it done in mid February, then this is not really a huge factor going into the season.

I mean we only got a half a season of good play out of him last time. At least now it'll be the second half :ph34r:

Yeah....this isn't great. Wentz, Alshon, Big Tim, Peters, Hicks all battling back from injury. Start of the season is gonna be roooooough

Here:

The injury easily could have ended Jernigan's time in Philadelphia, with the Eagles releasing him and declining to pay him being that he suffered the injury during an off-season workout in March. But in a generous gesture, the Eagles reworked his contract and now will pay him $3 million guaranteed this season, but no longer will be liable for the $11 million guaranteed that was due next season, as part of the four-year $48M extension he signed after being acquired in a trade with Baltimore.

Jernigan underwent the back surgery last week with Dr. Robert Watkins, per a source.

Under terms of the new contract, the final three years of Jernigan's deal are now option years, with Jernigan scheduled to make $11M in 2019, $12M in 2020 and $12M in 2021, as was the case under the previous terms, however none of that money is now guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Exactly this. I don't understand why you wait until three months after the Super Bowl took place in order to start this procedure. Hopefully more details come out and explain this because if he did have it done in mid February, then this is not really a huge factor going into the season.

I gotta imagine that it was aggravated or he was hurt during the offseason recently. I mean, I'd hope so if he'd wait this long. 

Jonathan Hankins is somehow still available. Although I'd imagine the reason he's available is because his price tag is too steep. 

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

Here:

That's actually awesome work out of Howie. Cover our rears. I wonder why they weren't aggressive with DT in the draft if they knew this. Unless they really like Destiny and Qualls. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

That's actually awesome work out of Howie. Cover our rears. I wonder why they weren't aggressive with DT in the draft if they knew this. Unless they really like Destiny and Qualls. 

So does this free up cap room this season that we could use to add someone in his place while he misses time? It was suffered in March so it wasn't known while he was in the process of playing, but still that's a long time to wait for the procedure none the less.

Just now, Danger said:

It was suffered in March so it wasn't known while he was in the process of playing, but still that's a long time to wait for the procedure none the less.

When I tore my ACL I had to wait a month before the procedure. For some procedures, it's better to wait for the inflammation/swelling to die down before you perform surgery. I'm assuming Jernigan didn't herniate a disc and walk around putting it off for a month. I'm assuming there was a valid medical reason for having surgery on the date he did.

I don't think he's here after next season.

That contract would have been ugly if the player he was in the 2nd half is what we get going forward.

His contract and Rodney McLeod's contract are my two least favorite contracts on the Eagles

Archived