Timmy Jernigan out 4-6 months after back surgery

Phire

Just now, Phire said:

When I tore my ACL I had to wait a month before the procedure. For some procedures, it's better to wait for the inflammation/swelling to die down before you perform surgery. I'm assuming Jernigan didn't herniate a disc and walk around putting it off for a month. I'm assuming there was a valid medical reason for having surgery on the date he did.

I see. The only procedure I've ever had done was to repair my radius bone. Much like the picture below, though mine was much more out of alignment. Swelling went down in that after a day or so for the most part.

300px-Collesfracture.jpg

That is a really big loss if he is out for 6 months. Yeah, his played dropped off in the second half of the season, but he was a big part of our stout run defense post Hicks.

We are one beat up team at the moment. I hope we don't lose a lot of momentum in the early season when we inevitably have a bunch of backups getting lots of snaps. Hopefully they can play as well as they did last year.

3 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Jernigan just lost himself a ton of money.

It's not like this happened with him doing something stupid. He hurt himself trying to be prepared for next year. That is really unfortunate. I'm glad that the Eagles protected themselves for the future but also giving him a chance to get right.

Just a crappy situation

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It's not like this happened with him doing something stupid. He hurt himself trying to be prepared for next year. That is really unfortunate. I'm glad that the Eagles protected themselves for the future but also giving him a chance to get right.

Just a crappy situation

Yeah I didn't mean it like it was his fault.

Just that he has almost no chance of seeing that money. It is really unfortunate for him.

7 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Yeah I didn't mean it like it was his fault.

Just that he has almost no chance of seeing that money. It is really unfortunate for him.

I think I subconsciously put a judgmental tone in your post haha

2 minutes ago, iverson4life said:

Johnathan Hankins is still a free agent right?

If the price is right he should be looked at. 

Considering Ngata's injury history as well our DT depth could be really thin.

If the price was right for Hankins he probably would've signed already. I could see us making a minor move - maybe bringing Thorton back or signing someone like Paea. 

1 minute ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

If the price was right for Hankins he probably would've signed already. I could see us making a minor move - maybe bringing Thorton back or signing someone like Paea. 

I'm just concerned an injury like this could be career ending. DT's need to use leverage all the time and having back issues like this... Not a good combination.

Might not be a bad idea to sign someone like Hankins who could be here for the future as well.

Well damn that sucks. Let's hope Ngata is recovered from his injury. If so that might negate some of the lost production. Not enthused in the slightest if Qualls or Destiny have to start. Not when both Allen and Vinny are gone!

Curious if this was already in the works why DT wasn't more of a priority in the draft?

I mean this is some real good news bad news sort of stuff. Bad, we need a new starter for the beginning of the season. Good, we rid ourselves of a dangerous contract for a player that became largely invisible down the stretch last year. Simply magical work by Howie once again. REPEAT

2 hours ago, Danger said:

So does this free up cap room this season that we could use to add someone in his place while he misses time? It was suffered in March so it wasn't known while he was in the process of playing, but still that's a long time to wait for the procedure none the less.

Not unless he goes on some kind of injury list I believe. PUP or IR possibly. 

Archived