Matt Ryan and Falcons agree to contract extension first 30 million a year QB

49erurtaza

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

What??

So throughout the 2018 season, where he will put his body on the line, he'll making 12% of what he earned just overnight by signing paper? (Even more ridiculous if you work it out game by game). Any other job they'd pocket the 47m and bye bye, laters, I'm not doing any work for 12% of what I last earned. I know it's the NFL and clearly there's more to it than money, but this structure seems a little strange to me.

You have this backwards. The 47 million is for putting his body on the line for the life of the contract. 

Part of the signing bonus language stipulates that if you 'retire' or say 'bye bye laters' as you say, then you have to refund the prorated signing bonus. If they cut you, then obviously you keep the signing bonus. SO a big signing bonus actually incentivizes the player to play the life of the contract, not the other way around. 

Just now, N4L said:

You have this backwards. The 47 million is for putting his body on the line for the life of the contract. 

Part of the signing bonus language stipulates that if you 'retire' or say 'bye bye laters' as you say, then you have to refund the prorated signing bonus. If they cut you, then obviously you keep the signing bonus. SO a big signing bonus actually incentivizes the player to play the life of the contract, not the other way around. 

Oh ok. Didn't know that. Makes sense.

Archived