Matt Ryan and Falcons agree to contract extension first 30 million a year QB

49erurtaza

32 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

Aaron Rodgers is up next right? Fully expect him to get a fully guaranteed contract and to top Ryan's salary. 

QB contracts are getting to the point where it's going to have to be limited by the next CBA before we hit the 50 million (per season) mark in 5 years.

I say let the market bubble pop; no need to get bureaucracy involved.

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Aaron going to get 32 million a year with 110 grt 160 mil total lol

Honestly, if I'm him, I'd shoot for a fully guaranteed 4/120 type deal. That would carry him through age 38. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

I wonder what they could’ve got in a trade for him? There’s no way I’d give this contract to Matt Ryan. Good player but not even close to elite. 

Just the way it goes with quarterbacks. 

At what point do you say I can't guarantee 20% of the cap to ONE player? I'd almost rather just ride Rodgers contract through 2019 and tag him twice and let him walk as he's nearing 40. Would be a damn slap in the face though.

2 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

At what point do you say I can't guarantee 20% of the cap to ONE player? I'd almost rather just ride Rodgers contract through 2019 and tag him twice and let him walk as he's nearing 40. Would be a damn slap in the face though.

I think we may get to a point where any quarterback and agent worth anything is going to have a mandatory "no franchise" clause in their contract. I'm actually surprised that it isn't more prevalent already. 

The good thing is, we have seen quarterbacks be very effective into their twilight years out of this generation. I have no fear that a guy like Rodgers would still be playing at a high level for all four years of a 4/120 fully guaranteed deal. 

18 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

If the QB percentage of the cap keeps going up the players may want to put a qb cap on it 

QB percentage of cap is still way less than their impact on the game. 

30M per is going to be like 16% of the cap. But of course, people are going to overreact because they don't adjust properly for inflation when looking at these numbers. 

Archived