Matt Ryan and Falcons agree to contract extension first 30 million a year QB

49erurtaza

5 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Is he the richest QB ever? Based off all his contracts including husband monster rookie deal?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/earnings/quarterback/

Ryan is 7th thus far, he's about $70m short of Eli Manning, however keep in mind this is career earning thus far so it does not include 2018 and onward.

All the top QBs are still active so this will fluctuate annually, Eli has a decent lead though.

5 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

At what point do you say I can't guarantee 20% of the cap to ONE player? I'd almost rather just ride Rodgers contract through 2019 and tag him twice and let him walk as he's nearing 40. Would be a damn slap in the face though.

The heck are you planning to do with that extra 10% of cap that would have nearly the impact of paying a QB?

Most good players and players in general are already on dirt cheap rookie contracts. 

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

The heck are you planning to do with that extra 10% of cap that would have nearly the impact of paying a QB?

Most good players and players in general are already on dirt cheap rookie contracts. 

For reference: Only 17 players on the Atlanta squad have salaries of at least $2m

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/earnings/quarterback/

Ryan is 7th thus far, he's about $70m short of Eli Manning, however keep in mind this is career earning thus far so it does not include 2018 and onward.

All the top QBs are still active so this will fluctuate annually, Eli has a decent lead though.

It's kind of sickening that Flacco could win another Superbowl and probably be top 3-5 in total career earnings.

Matt Ryan is a franchise quarterback who still has tread left on his tires. Falcons fans would be appalled if he weren't re-signed and the team would immediately fall out of contention, so Ryan had a lot of leverage. 30 million/year is not too much money for what he gives you, which is a window to compete for championships.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

Matt Ryan is a franchise quarterback who still has tread left on his tires. Falcons fans would be appalled if he weren't re-signed and the team would immediately fall out of contention, so Ryan had a lot of leverage. 30 million/year is not too much money for what he gives you, which is a window to compete for championships.

Assuming they can draft well enough to win with that salary commitment to 1 position on the books.  IIRC Peyton Manning is the only QB to get 20M and win a SB - and 4M was in bonuses we paid out the year after for winning the AFCG and SB.  

Ryan has had 1 MVP season.  The rest of the time he’s been a top 8-12 type QB.    After 2 subpar seasons his first 2 years. He’s literally the floor of what I’d consider a franchise QB.   Good but not great QB.  Paying that range QB 30M and winning the SB is a tall order.   Diff story if Kyle Shanahan is the HC there.   But it’s Sark.   That’s like putting James Jones at WR instead of Julio OC-wise.  

Ryan should thank Shanahan the most for today’s deal.  Probably got him 3-5M more AAV wise because of that magical 2016 season. 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder when a QB not named Tom Brady is actually going to take less money to help their team.

I'm not entirely sure how you can be a competitor at this level and want to take up this much of your team's cap space and prevent them from improving the team in other areas. Especially when you're a player that has already made over 100 million in their career like Ryan has. I just don't get it. Guess I never will.

This is nonsense. NFL players should get as much money as they can, especially since teams won't hesitate to cut players who under preform on a contract or won't give a raise when a player out preforms one. 

All talk of "loyalty" or "taking one for the team" falls on the player, never the FO. It's a one way street. BTW, the amount of money he's made in the past is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Assuming they can draft well enough to win with that salary commitment to 1 position on the books.  IIRC Peyton Manning is the only QB to get 20M and win a SB - and 4M was in bonuses we paid out the year after for winning the AFCG and SB.  

Ryan has had 1 MVP season.  The rest of the time he’s been a top 8-12 type QB.   He’s literally the floor of what I’d consider a franchise QB.   Paying that range QB 30M and winning the SB is a tall order.   Diff story if Kyle Shanahan is the HC there.   

Ryan should thank Shanahan the most.   

QB/coach combination is where it's at, and if you have either one of the two, you don't let it go. Ryan, alone, may not be enough to give the Falcons a good shot at a title, but they're a perennial playoff team with him, and no sort of playoff team without him. Just in terms of revenue that he generates for the franchise, that is a huge amount of value. The Falcons would have been foolish not to re-sign him to this sort of contract. Being a good offensive coordinator away from contention is a lot closer than being a good QB away.

Winning the superbowl is always a tall order.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie's Pinky said:

QB/coach combination is where it's at, and if you have either one of the two, you don't let it go. Ryan, alone, may not be enough to give the Falcons a good shot at a title, but they're a perennial playoff team with him, and no sort of playoff team without him. Just in terms of revenue that he generates for the franchise, that is a huge amount of value. The Falcons would have been foolish not to re-sign him to this sort of contract. Being a good offensive coordinator away from contention is a lot closer than being a good QB away.

Winning the superbowl is always a tall order.

I’m not panning the decision to sign him.   Like I said he meets the floor of the franchise QB.   It’s just the job got a lot harder.  It’s just the reality of the cap and the QB market.   It’s no coincidence all those QB who win the SB most are discounted (Brady, even 2015 Peyton which was good because he wasn’t worth even 16M with his play but the savings allowed us to be a complete team elsewhere) or still in their cheap rookie deal.  

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder when a QB not named Tom Brady is actually going to take less money to help their team.

I'm not entirely sure how you can be a competitor at this level and want to take up this much of your team's cap space and prevent them from improving the team in other areas. Especially when you're a player that has already made over 100 million in their career like Ryan has. I just don't get it. Guess I never will.

It's up to your team to hit on their draft picks. This career has such a short shelf life you need to maximize your earnings.

Archived