Offseason trades and signings

teude

11 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Abdullah traded before opening game. Arizona would be my pick as they said they wanted him in the draft as the Lions were drafting him. A late conditional pick would work. A 7th if he's on their opening day roster, a 6th if he gets 50% of their starts or over 35% of their offensive snaps. Both teams win in those situations. If that happens : Blount, Johnson, Riddick, Bawden, Zenner.

Absolutely agree. He's frustrated with his role in the offense, the team is frustrated with his play, he's in a crowded backfield. He's not as good of a receiver as Riddick; he doesn't have the size and power of Blount; they just drafted Kerryon Johnson to be that middle ground guy and this is a pass-first offense looking for balance. I can see us getting a late 6th later on in camp.

I think the time to move Abdullah was right before the draft. No need to now. Teams that needed a RB, drafted one. Lions don't benefit from cutting him. He spent last year coming back from an injury that takes 12-18 months to come fully back from. Despite that, he was still more productive than any other runner on our team. I think this is his last year to prove it though. 

I see us carrying Kerryon, Blount, Abdullah, Bawden and Riddick. All with specific roles. Zenner, Green, Washington are all out. 

34 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

I think the time to move Abdullah was right before the draft. No need to now. Teams that needed a RB, drafted one. Lions don't benefit from cutting him. He spent last year coming back from an injury that takes 12-18 months to come fully back from. Despite that, he was still more productive than any other runner on our team. I think this is his last year to prove it though. 

I see us carrying Kerryon, Blount, Abdullah, Bawden and Riddick. All with specific roles. Zenner, Green, Washington are all out. 

If Bawden plays an H-Back role, then it's possible. The Lions could be looking to add draft capital with more of a focus on the 2019 draft. I believe we have 9 picks in that draft already.

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Training camp injuries could motivate a team to overpay.

I continue to shake my head at all of you who think the Lions are getting a draft pick for a guy with his numbers. 400 yards a season, 3.7 yd average, 6 whole rushing touchdowns in 3 years. You could trip over a guy like that walking from your house to your car. No team's giving up a pick for that.

They will carry Abdullah through camp just in case of injuries and if there aren't any, he will get cut.

• 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

What’s a realistic plan for TE? 

I expect them to roll out with Wilson and Roberts as their top two TEs. Use them more as blockers and possession/red zone targets than they used Ebron. I also think Roberts takes a pretty significant step forward this year.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:39 PM, Nnivolcm said:

I expect them to roll out with Wilson and Roberts as their top two TEs. Use them more as blockers and possession/red zone targets than they used Ebron. I also think Roberts takes a pretty significant step forward this year.

This seems the most likely scenario. Wilson gets most of the playing time, Roberts gets some work in the red zone and in two-TE sets. 

1 hour ago, teude said:

No idea who he is, but apparently this was great signing.

So for the first time since Jerry Vainisi, we've signed an actual football guy, who other teams actually wanted, to run personnel. I hope and pray he doesn't run afoul of Ford or his/her lackeys the way Vainisi did.

• 1 month later...

Archived