Rookie of the Year Predictions

VanS

So before we start getting the hype that typically comes from mini-camps about who is looking good and who isn't, let's see who you think will win Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year this season.  Here are my predictions:

Offensive Rookie of the Year: QB Josh Allen (Bills)

Defensive Rookie of the Year: DB Minkah Fitzpatrick (Dolphins)

I think Josh Allen is the most likely rookie QB to start this year.  He's going to have the easiest transition given the fact he has experience in a pro-style offense and had the highest wonderlic score of all the QBs.  He also will have the least competition ahead of him given that AJ McCarron is a backup rather than a starting caliber QB.  The Bills made the playoffs last year and have some decent talent surrounding him at RB and WR.  I believe the Bills make the playoffs once again in 2018 and Josh Allen exceeds the expectations which will win him the Offensive Rookie of the Year award.  I expect Saquon Barkley (Giants), Rashaad Penny (Seahawks), and Ronald Jones II (Bucs) to have very productive seasons but ultimately a rookie QB leading his team to the playoffs and performing well will win the award over them.  For defensive rookie of the year, I'm going with Minkah Fitzpatrick.  He's a ball-hawk with a penchant for pick 6s.  He should lead the rookies in INTs and take a couple of those back for TDs.  That should be good enough to win the award over Bradley Chubb (Broncos) and Marcus Davenport (Saints).

Total homer pick, but Sony Michel has a real shot at 1000 rushing / 500 receiving for the Patriots. Although New England tends toward a committee, they've also given plenty of touches to lead backs when they have the personnel for it. Their last 1000 yard rushers: Blount had 299 carries in 2016, Ridley had 290 in 2012, BJGE had 230 in 2010, etc. To be fair, you have to go back to Dillon in 04 for a 345 carry performance, but I don't think it's out of the question that they'll feed Michel after spending a 1st on him. Maroney only had 175 his rookie year because Dillon still got 200 carries, but right now the Patriots have White (3rd down back), Gilislee, and Burkhead. I don't see any reason why 250+ carries is out of the question.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He would have to be really, really dominant to be worth all that was given up. LJ >

I just don't understand people calling him raw and questioning the level of talent in Conference USA when we all saw what the transition was like for Demarcus Ware and Kahlil Mack coming from smaller schools

Barkley for OROY - jump starts the Giant's offence and easily tops 1,000 on the ground and 500 yards receiving.

Roquan for DROY - will be top 10 in tackles in the entire league and be the heartbeat of the Bears D.

Assuming health: 

Saquon for OROY, Chubb for DPOY. I think Roquan and Derwin James have more impressive rookie seasons than Chubb, but Chubb will ultimately have the stats as a pass rusher - which are always flashier.

It's boring, but Barkley for OROY. 

For DROY, I'm tempted to say Chubb, because he's going to get a lot of PT, but I don't think sacks are his thing.    And I'd be accused of blatant homerism lol.   Which wouldn't bother me except that I think it would be partly true here.

So I'll go with Derwin James - you have to play on a D that's in the spotlight, and press (who votes on this) remembers splash plays.    So let's go with the rookie who slid too far to the D with the best chance to elevate themselves into an elite D (please, JAX, MIN fans - they're already elite, and LAR, you have no elite-talent rookies ready to help that much on D like James).

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Barkley for OROY - jump starts the Giant's offence and easily tops 1,000 on the ground and 500 yards receiving.

Roquan for DROY - will be top 10 in tackles in the entire league and be the heartbeat of the Bears D.

My choices as well

Saquon Barkley for OROY-

He’s in the biggest media market and will get the most coverage. So even if another player outperforms him, it will be hard to beat the media bias. That said, it’ll be difficult for another rookie to outperform him.

Tremaine Edmunds for DROY-

He’s big, strong, and fast. I can see him making plenty of splash plays that get him on highlights. Even though I think Bills fans might see growing pains from him, the splash plays will be enough to convince voters to go with Edmunds over candidates that had better play overall.

My runner up here would be Jaire Alexander. I can see him going off with a high interception count and get the focus being on that resurgent Packers secondary.

Archived