2019 Mock Drafts

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Ehhh...when you're drafting a guy like Mailato or whatever his name was, i think you have even less flexibility than normal in terms of trying them out in different roles to see what works.  You've not only gotta install the position-specific technical stuff they've completely missed in not playing high level football for their prime "learning years"...you've got all the layers of just general "football knowledge" and "football technique" in general to install on top of that.  They can be an interesting ball of clay as an athlete i guess, but the more you try to remold that ball of clay into some totally different things, the more time it's going to take and the more it's going to either run out the clock on your rookie contract timeline, or just result in a project that never really gets anywhere in any one particular direction.  I think you pick a spot, say...try to develop him as an OT...and if that isn't looking good by the end of their rookie deal, you're cutting bait.  You're going to end up with them stashed on the PS at some point anyway.  I wouldn't flip anything to them for that.

I could dig this too.  Haskins at 9 and Harry in round 2 look unlikely to me...but getting a top QB and a top WR would be a pretty ideal scenario in general imo.  I could get behind some other scenarios too, but if i were making a wishlist...a QB and a top-end big body receiving target would be at the top of it.

ive tried with 2 different big boards and ive gotten the same results in that simulator. 

i would teach him how to block but you could also flip him into a jumbo package TE with the  x number is reporting eligible and im sure as a rugby guy he has some solid hands. 

15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

ive tried with 2 different big boards and ive gotten the same results in that simulator. 

i would teach him how to block but you could also flip him into a jumbo package TE with the  x number is reporting eligible and im sure as a rugby guy he has some solid hands. 

Perhaps it is not a terrific "simulator" after all?

As for teaching a guy like Mailota...i think that's probably how you'd have to approach it.  But there's a lot more to playing TE than just being able to block, and having natural hands.  And i wouldn't even necessarily assume the natural hands either, just because Rugby.  It's not even really the same thing anyway, so there's going to be adjustment no matter what.  Far more valuable as even remotely serviceable LT depth anyway.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Perhaps it is not a terrific "simulator" after all?

As for teaching a guy like Mailota...i think that's probably how you'd have to approach it.  But there's a lot more to playing TE than just being able to block, and having natural hands.  And i wouldn't even necessarily assume the natural hands either, just because Rugby.  It's not even really the same thing anyway, so there's going to be adjustment no matter what.  Far more valuable as even remotely serviceable LT depth anyway.

pretty sure it took Villanueva like 2 years to learn LT. before that he was a TE and originally was signed to be DL as an UDFA. 

heres a mock i did on first pick.  the comp offered 2 1st and a 2nd to move to 7. haskins was gone so was i. 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25 (OAK): Metcalf, DK, WR, Mississippi (B) Starting WR
Round 1 Pick 27 (OAK): Jones, Daniel, QB, Duke (B) Starting QB
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): Fant, Noah, TE, Iowa (A) Starting TE
Round 2 Pick 7: Ford, Cody, OG, Oklahoma (A-) Starting rt/RG
Round 3 Pick 6: Jackson, Joe, DE, Miami (FL) (A+) Backup edge rusher
Round 3 Pick 29: Deiter, Michael, OG/OT, Wisconsin (A+) Potential starting RT/RG. 
Round 4 Pick 7: Gaskin, Myles, RB, Washington (A+) RB depth
Round 6 Pick 7: Williams, Preston, WR, Colorado State (A+)a high upside wr gamble. has some red flags for an injury and an arrest. also might be more of a body catcher but u can gamble with a 6th. 
Round 7 Pick 24: Wright, Charles, OLB, Vanderbilt (A+) potential Sam/backup edge. 

12 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

heres a mock i did on first pick.  the comp offered 2 1st and a 2nd to move to 7. haskins was gone so was i. 

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 25 (OAK): Metcalf, DK, WR, Mississippi (B) Starting WR
Round 1 Pick 27 (OAK): Jones, Daniel, QB, Duke (B) Starting QB
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): Fant, Noah, TE, Iowa (A) Starting TE
Round 2 Pick 7: Ford, Cody, OG, Oklahoma (A-) Starting rt/RG
Round 3 Pick 6: Jackson, Joe, DE, Miami (FL) (A+) Backup edge rusher
Round 3 Pick 29: Deiter, Michael, OG/OT, Wisconsin (A+) Potential starting RT/RG. 
Round 4 Pick 7: Gaskin, Myles, RB, Washington (A+) RB depth
Round 6 Pick 7: Williams, Preston, WR, Colorado State (A+)a high upside wr gamble. has some red flags for an injury and an arrest. also might be more of a body catcher but u can gamble with a 6th. 
Round 7 Pick 24: Wright, Charles, OLB, Vanderbilt (A+) potential Sam/backup edge. 

lol.  This doesn't seem altogether realistic...but it does kinda highlight how moving down if say...Haskins isn't there, could work out for us (and you can somehow find a trade partner for anyone other than a QB on the board).  Two potentially "elite" receiving options, and a late 1st caliber QB prospect wouldn't be a bad haul at all...with a quality OLine prospect on top of it.  You're basically getting 4 "1st round picks" at that point.  That's not bad at all.

So this mock was fanspeak with the nfl mock board(haskins was 22nd on their board and highest ranked). Tge giants passed for an ot(could be a likely scenario with their ol problems) 7: R1P7

QB DWAYNE HASKINS
OHIO STATE
38: R2P6

RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA STATE
69: R3P5

WR MARQUISE BROWN
OKLAHOMA
93: R3P29

C DALTON RISNER
KANSAS STATE
109: R4P7

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA
180: R6P5

S NASIR ADDERLEY
DELAWARE
240: R7P24

LB ULYSEES GILBERT III
AKRON

53 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I just cant believe the Giants dont take a QB in round 1

I'd be surprised as well. Think they take Haskins or Jones, or maybe Lock for sure.

Will be interesting to see how the QB's stocks rise and fall over the next few months.

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I just cant believe the Giants dont take a QB in round 1

to be fair how they gonna protect him and i doubt the giants are getting rid of eli.  yes eli is old and such but u saw last year they are trying to make life easier for eli.   fwiw they went qb in round 2. 

33 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

to be fair how they gonna protect him and i doubt the giants are getting rid of eli.  yes eli is old and such but u saw last year they are trying to make life easier for eli.   fwiw they went qb in round 2. 

You say that but Arizona and Buffalo had pretty bad lines and yet drafted their QBs when they did. I hope they don’t take one but i just feel like they probably be picking in a worse spot for a QB next year.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

You say that but Arizona and Buffalo had pretty bad lines and yet drafted their QBs when they did. I hope they don’t take one but i just feel like they probably be picking in a worse spot for a QB next year.

They'll take a QB.

They can run a vet/Eli out for a while next year if they are worried about their OL. Who knows if they pick top 5-6 like this again next year where they'd need to be for another chance at a QB.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

They'll take a QB.

They can run a vet/Eli out for a while next year if they are worried about their OL. Who knows if they pick top 5-6 like this again next year where they'd need to be for another chance at a QB.

well if u wanna play the hypothetical game whos to say Jones, lock dont fall to round 2, or a dark horse guy doesnt move up the boards from late round to a 2nd-3rd round guy. they could take a guy then but have a good OL to help protect them and help Barkley.  

Archived