2018 Season BOLD PREDICTIONS thread

MWil23

* Chubb by week 5 takes control of the running game and we regulate Hyde to a short yardage/goalline back for the whole year.

* Tyrod is benched for Mayfield at the bye week after a 3-7 start to the season.

* Josh Gordon goes back to being his 2013 self.

* Our CBs still look extremely suspect as the year goes on.

* Njoku explodes onto the scene as a healthy version of Jordan Reed.

* The O-Line looks like a top 5 unit in the NFL by years end.

* Mayfield shows his talent after finishing the season 4-2 and gets everybody all hot and bothered going into next season.

* Pass rusher becomes biggest need heading into next offseason after Ogbah looks average.

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

* Chubb by week 5 takes control of the running game and we regulate Hyde to a short yardage/goalline back for the whole year.

* Tyrod is benched for Mayfield at the bye week after a 3-7 start to the season.

* Josh Gordon goes back to being his 2013 self.

* Our CBs still look extremely suspect as the year goes on.

* Njoku explodes onto the scene as a healthy version of Jordan Reed.

* The O-Line looks like a top 5 unit in the NFL by years end.

* Mayfield shows his talent after finishing the season 4-2 and gets everybody all hot and bothered going into next season.

* Pass rusher becomes biggest need heading into next offseason after Ogbah looks average.

I find it hard to believe/dont want to believe that CB is still an issue. They put a lot of resources into that position. They need to have gotten that right. Out of Ward, Gaines, Carrie, and  Boddy-Calhoun I think we should see some quality play.

2 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

I find it hard to believe/dont want to believe that CB is still an issue. They put a lot of resources into that position. They need to have gotten that right. Out of Ward, Gaines, Carrie, and  Boddy-Calhoun I think we should see some quality play.

Average play. I have seen Carrie play many times watching Raiders games and he is 'okay' at best. He was the best CB on the leagues worst  pass defense so I guess that's.....good?. My friend who is a die hard raiders fan even said "he will look like a AllPro for 4 games a year and look like he belongs nowhere near a football field the other 12" He's a former 7th round pick on his second team so it's not like Carrie has a bunch of untapped potential that didn't work out in Oakland. He is who he is at this point. Not saying he can't improve a little with being consistent but we'll see. Personally I don't think he will give you anything Jamar Taylor wasn't.

Gaines is a former 6th round pick who is on his 3rd team in 4 years after having 1 solid season on a defense that managed to make Jordan Poyer and Michah Hyde look like the beat safety tandem in the NFL. Not saying he's bad, but Gaines is on a 1 year deal with a new team again for a reason. 

Everybody knows my opinion about Ward. I think he will be a good solid CB but I see his pro career being more like a good #2 such as Bradley Roby and not a elite #1 like Marshon Lattimore. I will gladly eat crown if he turns out to be a all-world player but I just don't see it in his rookie year.

I think the CBs will obviously be improved from last year, but I'm just less optimistic than others that it will automatically turning a good unit that doesn't need to add another great top tier piece.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Average play. I have seen Carrie play many times watching Raiders games and he is 'okay' at best. He was the best CB on the leagues worst  pass defense so I guess that's.....good?. My friend who is a die hard raiders fan even said "he will look like a AllPro for 4 games a year and look like he belongs nowhere near a football field the other 12" He's a former 7th round pick on his second team so it's not like Carrie has a bunch of untapped potential that didn't work out in Oakland. He is who he is at this point. Not saying he can't improve a little with being consistent but we'll see. Personally I don't think he will give you anything Jamar Taylor wasn't.

Gaines is a former 6th round pick who is on his 3rd team in 4 years after having 1 solid season on a defense that managed to make Jordan Poyer and Michah Hyde look like the beat safety tandem in the NFL. Not saying he's bad, but Gaines is on a 1 year deal with a new team again for a reason. 

Everybody knows my opinion about Ward. I think he will be a good solid CB but I see his pro career being more like a good #2 such as Bradley Roby and not a elite #1 like Marshon Lattimore. I will gladly eat crown if he turns out to be a all-world player but I just don't see it in his rookie year.

I think the CBs will obviously be improved from last year, but I'm just less optimistic than others that it will automatically turning a good unit that doesn't need to add another great top tier piece.

I read that Carrie was one of the best nickle backs in the league but struggled big time on the outside.  Hopefully we have him at nickle, Ward as our number one, bbc as dime, and someone steps up at 2.

6 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

I read that Carrie was one of the best nickle backs in the league but struggled big time on the outside.  Hopefully we have him at nickle, Ward as our number one, bbc as dime, and someone steps up at 2.

Here is from a list of the top slot defenders in the NFL for the 2017 season from Bleacher Report. Take it for what you will.

34. T.J. Carrie, Oakland Raiders

Coverage: 13/20
Reaction: 16/30
Recovery: 14/25
Tackling: 8/15
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 59/100

"The Oakland Raiders had a cornerback crisis this season with injuries and disappointing play, and T.J. Carrie's struggles in the slot contributed. Carrie's inexperience inside showed; in 15 starts he rarely displayed any playmaking ability. Carrie's a competitor and gives great effort against the run, but his discipline and run fits are average. There's not much upside to show for the 27-year-old."

22 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here is from a list of the top slot defenders in the NFL for the 2017 season from Bleacher Report. Take it for what you will.

The Oakland Raiders had a cornerback crisis this season with injuries and disappointing play, and T.J. Carrie's struggles in the slot contributed. Carrie's inexperience inside showed; in 15 starts he rarely displayed any playmaking ability. Carrie's a competitor and gives great effort against the run, but his discipline and run fits are average. There's not much upside to show for the 27-year-old.

This is disappointing. 

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

This is disappointing. 

Precisely. Which is why Im not nearly as high on the mish mash of #3 CBs we just inherited as other are. Its like we went out and signed a bunch of Jamar Taylor clones with Carrie/Mitchell/Gaines though at least Gaines came off a solid season. Either way all 3 are complete dart tosses.  

The Rams went out and got Talib/Peters for some mid round picks and cash and Im over here trying to convince myself that TJ Carrie and EJ Gaines are good lol

47 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Precisely. Which is why Im not nearly as high on the mish mash of #3 CBs we just inherited as other are. Its like we went out and signed a bunch of Jamar Taylor clones with Carrie/Mitchell/Gaines though at least Gaines came off a solid season. Either way all 3 are complete dart tosses.  

The Rams went out and got Talib/Peters for some mid round picks and cash and Im over here trying to convince myself that TJ Carrie and EJ Gaines are good lol

If Denzel is good and Gaines is above average with good play from our safetys we will be fine

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

"The Oakland Raiders had a cornerback crisis this season with injuries and disappointing play, and T.J. Carrie's struggles in the slot contributed. Carrie's inexperience inside showed; in 15 starts he rarely displayed any playmaking ability. Carrie's a competitor and gives great effort against the run, but his discipline and run fits are average. There's not much upside to show for the 27-year-old."

Wasn’t he playing outside a lot last year due to those before mentioned injuries?

11 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Wasn’t he playing outside a lot last year due to those before mentioned injuries?

Couldnt tell you the percentages but I know (because everyone knows I also follow Denver) that he lines up sort of everywhere in the same way Chris Harris does. But hes just the really bad version of him. From watching them play twice a season for the past 3-4 years Carrie has been on the team the only time I ever even noticed he was on the field was when he made some good plays against the run to the outside. 

Coverage wise? I never watched a game and said 'man that Carrie guy is locking up Demaryius' Hes just....there. Average. I remember he will have a nice pass deflection but then give up a 15 yard post route on the next play.

Hes Jamar Taylor level of average. He will make a nice tackle in run support, maybe a good pass breakup and then you look at his WRs statline at the end of the game and it will be 5 catches for 65 yards and a TD.

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wouldn't freak out, we have plenty of guys and competition, the cream will rise to the top. We also have guys like Mike Jordan, Howard Wilson, who could be wildcards.

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I wouldn't freak out, we have plenty of guys and competition, the cream will rise to the top. We also have guys like Mike Jordan, Howard Wilson, who could be wildcards.

I forgot about Wilson, it will be interesting to see if he gets a shot.

To me its like they created a log jam at WR/CB for competitions sake. Mitchell/Gaines/Carrie/Ward/BBC/Taylor/Wilson. 2 of them will have to go and Im assuming it will be Wilson/Mitchell. I would really like if they actually gave BBC consistent playing time because I have more faith in him in the slot than anybody on that list not names Ward

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I forgot about Wilson, it will be interesting to see if he gets a shot.

To me its like they created a log jam at WR/CB for competitions sake. Mitchell/Gaines/Carrie/Ward/BBC/Taylor/Wilson. 2 of them will have to go and Im assuming it will be Wilson/Mitchell. I would really like if they actually gave BBC consistent playing time because I have more faith in him in the slot than anybody on that list not names Ward

I think this is a situation where at least in our CB room, someone who gets cut will end up playing for someone else

Our DB's will be fine this year.

Oh, and I am not holding out a lot of hope for Wilson, a guy that hasn't played in well over a year, but if you liked Josh Jackson, you're going to also love Howard Wilson. He's a big rangy zone corner that makes splash plays.

Archived