Raiders sign Derrick Johnson

BackinBlack

I like it.

• Pisses Chief fans off.
  • Is a respected veteran who has immense experience.
  • Is still good in coverage.
  • Will be cheap and a good short-term fix.

We needed a veteran (preferably Bowman but this will suffice) to show the young guys in Lee, Victor, James, etc how to be a true LB.

Better than Bowman. Both equal in run defense, but Johnson is by far better in coverage and you don’t have to take him off the field on third down. With the Raiders running a true 43 now I don’t see how they bring Bowman back. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

So... what's the average age of our presumptive starters now? It's gotta be over 30 now right?

Only "old starters" we have signed thus far is Jordy Nelson, maybe Derrick Johnson and potentially Giacomini if Miller doesn't beat him out. The rest of the older guys are depth or won't make it to the 53. 

I think the Raiders wanted a coverage/nickel LB and Johnson can be that guy. Whitehead will bring the hammer and Johnson will clean up on 3rd down. His burst and coverage ability/awareness are very much still there and hopefully our defensive line will clean things up for him.

32 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

So... what's the average age of our presumptive starters now? It's gotta be over 30 now right?

Carr 27, Lynch 32, Cooper 23, Nelson 32, Bryant 26, Cook 31, Penn 35, KO 28, Hudson 28, Gabe 26, Miller 22. (Avg: 28)

Mack 27, Ellis 27, Hurst 22, MEJ 24, Whitehead 28, DJ 35, James 24, Conley 22, Melvin 28, Joseph 24, Gilchrist 29. (Avg: 26)

Archived