Raiders sign former Chiefs MLB Derrick Johnson

RaidersAreOne

I like it.

• Pisses Chief fans off.
  • Is a respected veteran who has immense experience.
  • Is still good in coverage.
  • Will be cheap and a good short-term fix.

We needed a veteran (preferably Bowman but this will suffice) to show the young guys in Lee, Victor, James, etc how to be a true LB. 

LOL @ the checks all the boxes take.   Too funny.

All kidding aside, he's still got a little juice left in the tank - but coming off multiple Achilles' injuries, you have to wonder how long he can play effectively.    He's already starting to slide, when the decline phase hits, it's often not pretty.   Still, the cost is probably so low, there's little risk - other than bad play, of course.

The draft pick of Kolton Miller is really going to be scrutinized - because staying at 15 and going Tremaine Edmunds or LVE was the alternative most discussed.    That's probably the bigger issue when it's all said & done.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

LOL @ the checks all the boxes take.   Too funny.

All kidding aside, he's still got a little juice left in the tank - but coming off multiple Achilles' injuries, you have to wonder how long he can play effectively.    He's already starting to slide, when the decline phase hits, it's often not pretty.

The draft pick of Kolton Miller is really going to be scrutinized - because staying at 15 and going Tremaine Edmunds or LVE was the alternative most discussed.   

It already wasn't last year.

2 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It already wasn't last year.

Yeah, the question is, can he even play at 2017 level?  As bad as that sounds, as he wasn't the old D-Johnson, even 2017 DJ would upgrade that LB corps.   If it's more decline though....ugly.   So little risk price-wise, I get that - but if Miller doesn't work out, and Edmunds/LVE do, man, that's going to haunt that D for at least 3+ years (Rd1 whiffs / missed opps having 3+ year ripple effects).

I thought of the Cleveland QB Jersey picture when I saw this posted on another forum. Look at what we have had at MLB over the years...

2012: Rolando McClain
2013: Nick Roach
2014: Miles Burris
2015: Curtis Lofton
2016: Perry Riley
2017: Navorro Bowman
2018: Derrick Johnson

The jokes are cute, but he can still cover from everything I've seen. No one is expecting prime DJ, but even an average nickel LB would be a good add for us and I'm certain he can be at least that.

The Raiders have quietly built a very respectable defense.

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

yes, I’m sure online internet fans have more knowledge then the raiders management... thanks for the insider info 

You can have more knowledge and still be wrong, ya know.

Fans look smarter than FOs all the time, without hindsight.

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

You can have more knowledge and still be wrong, ya know.

Fans look smarter than FOs all the time, without hindsight.

Sure, but I'm a fan of what this one has done. What's the harm in adding veteran players at/near vet minimum? The core of this team is young.

Archived