Raiders sign former Chiefs MLB Derrick Johnson

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The jokes are cute, but he can still cover from everything I've seen. No one is expecting prime DJ, but even an average nickel LB would be a good add for us and I'm certain he can be at least that.

The Raiders have quietly built a very respectable defense.

You sure about that?

4 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Respectable as in wisdom 

lol

Seriously though, respectable to me means around league average. I don't think the Raiders did that even with all of their moves. They remind me of the Chargers in 2014 and 2015, where they really lacked difference makers outside of 1-2 players (with the Chargers it is Weddle, and the Raiders it is Mack). Crazier stuff has happened, but I would be surprised if the Raiders defense is among the bottom half of the league this year. 

8 minutes ago, game3525 said:

You sure about that?

Look at their defense at the end of last year under Pagano.

On paper, we haven't lost any significant contributors aside from Autry as a rotational pass rusher.

The defensive line has gotten better and the secondary has gotten better (no more Nelson starting, Melvin>>> whatever we had last year).

" The Raiders are allowing 287 yards a game under Pagano compared with 367.1 in Weeks 1-11. They have 16 sacks the past five games compared with an NFL-low 14 before that. A pass defense that allowed opponents to compile a 113.3 quarterback rating through 10 games, according to the AP, has allowed a 72.1 rating since then — albeit against a series of teams at less than full strength." 

I'd say Guenther is on par with Pagano, and the personnel has improved from last year. I don't think a 16th ranked defense is so out of the question considering we were 20th in ppg last year.

would have preferred to bring back Bowman, but we needed a vet in the middle, I guess this will do. Stop gap coming off a decent year. Any move that improves your roster without sacrificing cap space in the future is a positive.

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Look at their defense at the end of last year under Pagano.

On paper, we haven't lost any significant contributors aside from Autry as a rotational pass rusher.

The defensive line has gotten better and the secondary has gotten better (no more Nelson starting, Melvin>>> whatever we had last year).

" The Raiders are allowing 287 yards a game under Pagano compared with 367.1 in Weeks 1-11. They have 16 sacks the past five games compared with an NFL-low 14 before that. A pass defense that allowed opponents to compile a 113.3 quarterback rating through 10 games, according to the AP, has allowed a 72.1 rating since then — albeit against a series of teams at less than full strength." 

I'd say Guenther is on par with Pagano, and the personnel has improved from last year. I don't think a 16th ranked defense is so out of the question considering we were 20th in ppg last year.

Pagano does this every year. His defenses always play better at the end of the year. It is a major reason why he kept his job for so long in San Diego. Also look at the teams they faced during that stretch when he took over as DC (Broncos, Giants, Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers). The three good offensive teams they faced were the Chiefs, Eagles, and Chargers. They did a decent job against KC, they did well against Philly (although Wentz didn't play), and they were torched by the Chargers. So this is a mixed bag at best IMO. 

Guenther is likely better then Pagano, but I am not a fan of their personnel. IMO, I think they are going to have problems matching up with the teams in the division, especially KC, who has speed at every level on offense. 

22 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Pagano does this every year. His defenses always play better at the end of the year. It is a major reason why he kept his job for so long in San Diego. Also look at the teams they faced during that stretch when he took over as DC (Broncos, Giants, Chiefs, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers). The three good offensive teams they faced were the Chiefs, Eagles, and Chargers. They did a decent job against KC, they did well against Philly (although Wentz didn't play), and they were torched by the Chargers. So this is a mixed bag at best IMO. 

Guenther is likely better then Pagano, but I am not a fan of their personnel. IMO, I think they are going to have problems matching up with the teams in the divisions, especially KC, who has speed at every level on offense. 

Pagano wasn't the defensive coordinator in Oakland until those last 6 games either. It's not like he had the reins the whole year. Ken Norton Jr. was a garbage coordinator for the first 10. That's why I put those numbers up there. Look at the difference in those two defenses under a horrible versus at least average defensive coordinator.

49 minutes ago, game3525 said:

You sure about that?

• Mack - Hurst/Hall - Ellis - Irvin
  • Whitehead - Johnson - Morrow
  • Conley - Melifonwu - Joseph - Melvin

With Edwards Jr, Carradine, Key, Vanderdoes as depth along the Dline, Worley and Nelson as depth at CB, as well as Gilcrhist and Luani as Safety depth. That is not a bad defense at all. Add in the fact we are going from KNJ to Guenther, and it will be MUCH improved.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

yes, I’m sure online internet fans have more knowledge then the raiders management... thanks for the insider info 

The trouble with this logic is that the Chiefs let him walk, and every team allowed him to get through the early stages of free agency unsigned. So you're citing the authority/knowledge of the Raiders FO, but someone criticizing the signing can just do the same with the Chiefs or the rest of the NFL

8 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The trouble with this logic is that the Chiefs let him walk, and every team allowed him to get through the early stages of free agency unsigned. So you're citing the authority/knowledge of the Raiders FO, but someone criticizing the signing can just do the same with the Chiefs or the rest of the NFL

Not that I agree with him, but in general teams will tend to make mistakes as well, i.e. Crabtree getting 1 year 3 million from us in 2015 when there was barely any interest in him.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not that I agree with him, but in general teams will tend to make mistakes as well, i.e. Crabtree getting 1 year 3 million from us in 2015 when there was barely any interest in him.

Yes. And that mistake could be on either side. So citing the Raiders's (or any team's) authority as logic for it being a good move is a poor argument.

21 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

One year deal, likely extremely cheap. Literally no risk, lots of reward. Good signing. 

I don't see what all the fuss is about. At best DJ is our starting MLB and helps us in coverage where we have lacked in the middle since Nick Roach was here, at worst he doesn't make it our of camp and doesn't cost us against the cap.

Archived