Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Raiders sign former Chiefs MLB Derrick Johnson

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

yes, I’m sure online internet fans have more knowledge then the raiders management... thanks for the insider info 

Because we haven't seen teams do things that every fan knew was a terrible decision......

That aside, this is a good pick up by the Raiders.  Minimal risk, solid reward.  But Gruden is definitely attempting to bring in good character vets to create a professional vibe in the locker room.  Which I think meshes well with some of his draft picks.  A guy like Arden Key would really benefit from just following Derrick around like a puppy all year.

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't get Gruden and McKenzie signing these older players that won't be around that long. Why do you want your roster to be on the older side?

Unless I've missed a guy, they are all guys with great reputations in terms of character and work ethic.  And the deals aren't going to hurt the team long term.

Not a bad way to create the culture you want.

25 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't get Gruden and McKenzie signing these older players that won't be around that long. Why do you want your roster to be on the older side?

Didn’t Chucky do the same thing his first go around?

The only thing that matters is Carr and Mack being young.

25 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Unless I've missed a guy, they are all guys with great reputations in terms of character and work ethic.  And the deals aren't going to hurt the team long term.

Exactly. For everyone saying we are getting so old, the only new starters who are on the older side are WR Jordy Nelson, MLB Derrick Johnson and potentially OT Breno Giacomini (Miller should beat him out for RT though). All the other guys are depth at best or won't make the final 53. 

As said above, there were locker room problems last year and some of those players have been shipped out (Crabtree, King, etc). We need to rebuild the place from the inside out and that is why we are bringing in all these savvy vets (Nelson, Johnson, Hall, Gilchrist, Whitehead, etc). Especially after we bring in rookies Key and Victor. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

57 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Typical stop gap signing. Best case scenario he starts and fills a gap. Worst case scenario he gets cut or has limited production with no impact on the 2019 cap. You bring in good locker room guys and make them compete for a spot. At the very least you get camp competition. I’ve always loved Johnson. He is on the back side of his career but maybe he has one year left. You don’t know until a fighter takes that one fight too many that it’s his last. Either way, Raiders have nothing to lose here.

Required joke. Gruden doesn’t want anyone in the building making him feel old. 

Reality take: Raiders need Carr to regress from last year. Throw out 2017. Go back to 2016 Carr and they will be just fine.

Edited by Boltstrikes

Pagano wasn't the defensive coordinator in Oakland until those last 6 games either. It's not like he had the reins the whole year. Ken Norton Jr. was a garbage coordinator for the first 10. That's why I put those numbers up there. Look at the difference in those two defenses under a horrible versus at least average defensive coordinator.

I know.

My point is Pags defenses have historically done pretty well at the end of the season.

8 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Raiders keep building that 2009 Pro Bowl team

vince-young-eagles-e1312131299624.jpg

14 minutes ago, daineraider said:

vince-young-eagles-e1312131299624.jpg

He's still available if you need someone to mispronounce some draft pick's names 

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The trouble with this logic is that the Chiefs let him walk, and every team allowed him to get through the early stages of free agency unsigned. So you're citing the authority/knowledge of the Raiders FO, but someone criticizing the signing can just do the same with the Chiefs or the rest of the NFL

Yeah, I hate that argument.  Lots of fans would make better picks in the draft and yet we are supposed to just trust the FO.  How has that worked out for 15+ NFL teams every year that struggle to fine good players in the draft or FA.

I am happy with the DJ signing only because we don’t have anything better right now.  Bowman would have been the preferred option, but sounds like he is hoping for more $$.  It will be nice to have some experience/leadership in the middle of our D.

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

He couldnt even cover old man Gates last year.

Won't be long until the Raiders sign Antonio Gates too.

20 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Trying to establish culture and teach younger players. Seems a theme last year was things got to relaxed and the players drafted the last few drafts have underwhelmed. So get professionals in here who are hard workers. Know the systems to teach them faster and provide competition. 

It's fun to make jokes, but most these guys will get a shot in camp and if they are done, can be cut loose. Where it's an issue is if some of these guys are hanging around on the 53 man roster. 

End of the day FA is always a 50/50 game. Half the signings will be a bust and half will fill a need.

Most of the old players on the roster won't be on the 53 man roster. Is that so hard to understand? We won't have any starters older than 30 this year aside from potentially Johnson.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Most of the old players on the roster won't be on the 53 man roster. Is that so hard to understand? We won't have any starters older than 30 this year aside from potentially Johnson.

?  Lynch, Penn, Cook

23 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

He's still available if you need someone to mispronounce some draft pick's names 

I don't think we've talked about this enough.