Apparently We Found an OG in Free Agency...

I am completely fine with this move. There is no point in bringing in another washed up guard to learn the system. Lauvao will come in and compete in camp to try and win a job. I'm sure the deal is close to vet min. Cutting him will cost us nothing if he gets hurt or his play is bad. Hopefully one of the young guys can come in and take his roster spot. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I would actually rather pick Payne over the trade down. I know that from a viewpoint, adding an additional 1st in next years draft seems to be more beneficial. But New Orleans was really good last year, will probably be really good this year and that pick will end up being a later pick. With that being said, they drop off of talent from where we picked and where New Orleans was slated to pick is significant. 

Who do you take at 27? Arguably our top two needs don't substantiate value there and our pick would have been considered a "reach." Do the Redskins draft Guice there? Do we go with Taven Bryan and reach for Settle in the second? I don't see much the Redskins could have done better in their draft strategy. 

Let's assume for a moment that the only thing that changes is players from this one trade and we do not move from either position (27th or 147th). Otherwise it is the exact same draft. Thus it could have become:

• 1st - Will Hernandez
  • 5th - (players with at least one round positive value at or after 147 per DraftTek (excluding Tim Settle who we would take with the second 5th)):
    • ILB Micah Kiser
    • OT Tyrell Crosby
    • OG Scott Quessenberry
    • DT Andrew Brown (selecting since he's a DT, and yes, a UVA kid)
    • EDGE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
    • OG Wyatt Teller
    • QB Mike White
  • 2019 1st round pick from New Orleans

vs

• 1st - Da'Ron Payne

As I've said before, I like the Payne pick. I just don't know if it was the right call when you have a 2019 1st on the table. Likewise, they could have moved back up like Green Bay did.

Just now, Marcus21 said:

I am completely fine with this move. There is no point in bringing in another washed up guard to learn the system. Lauvao will come in and compete in camp to try and win a job. I'm sure the deal is close to vet min. Cutting him will cost us nothing if he gets hurt or his play is bad. Hopefully one of the young guys can come in and take his roster spot. 

This is a short term patch job, not long term planning.

LG is still 2nd highest priority for 2019 offseason (ROLB is #1).

1 minute ago, Woz said:

This is a short term patch job, not long term planning.

LG is still 2nd highest priority for 2019 offseason (ROLB is #1).

completely agree with the patch job comment.........I'm think CB may turn out to be our biggest need next offseason along with LG

Just now, Marcus21 said:

completely agree with the patch job comment.........I'm think CB may turn out to be our biggest need next offseason along with LG

Possibly.

Looking at where the Redskins stand, they have fewer holes on the roster, but they are more acute in need.

I said before the draft it was highly unlikely they filled at the holes in one draft. I guess just based on knowledge of the system I rather Luvuao over Evans. Boone on the other hand....  maybe they’re not done bringing people in to compete for the job

2 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. Was completely predictable based on the interior line talent cliff after the second
  2. Means passing up on that potential trade with New Orleans was even worse

As much as I would have strongly considered the trade with NO, I will say that it probably looks worse now with the benefit of perfect hindsight than it did at the time we made the decision. If we had known we’d be able to pull off something like Will Hernandez at 27 and Tim Settle on Day 3, maybe we pull the trigger.

But both of those guys went much later than most expected, and I don’t think we can come down too hard on the Skins for not predicting that it would be possible to get a stud OG with #27 and still get a solid NT prospect at, say, #106. That deal could have turned to gold — and it turns out it apparently would have — but it also could have gone terribly (like if we’d missed the top guards and had to go with someone like Braden Smith or Harrison Phillips or a RB at #27). And between the two positions, if I had to choose one to have a stud and one to have a below-average player, I’d definitely go with the stud at NT and the below-average player at LG. 

Anyway, on the thread topic, it would be disappointing if Lauvao was the Week 1 starter. But it would be just as disappointing with Boone or Evans or any other washed up veteran with a name but no game. All in all, I’m fine with bringing Lauvao back — they shouldn’t be done trying to acquire an actual solution, but at least he sets a baseline/floor of “below average” instead of the “likelihood of tragedy” we were looking at before. 

Just now, e16bball said:

Anyway, on the thread topic, it would be disappointing if Lauvao was the Week 1 starter. But it would be just as disappointing with Boone or Evans or any other washed up veteran with a name but no game. All in all, I’m fine with bringing Lauvao back — they shouldn’t be done trying to acquire an actual solution, but at least he sets a baseline/floor of “below average” instead of the “likelihood of tragedy” we were looking at before. 

Unfortunately, his ceiling isn't much above "below average" either.

I remember somewhat liking him as a prospect. Probably had him as a 4th/5th rd guy back when. 

Does not appear to be much excitement for his return here, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. Wished for Alex Boone, but maybe he really is washed up at this point. I'm often hoping for the long-shots to pan out.. so maybe this UDFA Welsh can surprise us as an IOL stud.

Just so long as someone steps up.

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

Unfortunately, his ceiling isn't much above "below average" either.

Oh yes, I think his ceiling and floor are extremely close together. Much like his stomach and his toes. 

But at least we know he can probably play a remotely passable LG for us in this system. I frankly don’t know that we had anyone on the roster prior to this re-signing about whom I felt that was “probable.” Hope for upside from Nsekhe and/or the contents of the misfit toy-box we’ll dump out onto the training camp field to compete for the spot. Or for the love of God just go out and acquire a real starter in a trade. But I do feel better that they’ll have some kind of safety net in the event that all that falls through.   

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Let's assume for a moment that the only thing that changes is players from this one trade and we do not move from either position (27th or 147th). Otherwise it is the exact same draft. Thus it could have become:

• 1st - Will Hernandez
  • 5th - (players with at least one round positive value at or after 147 per DraftTek (excluding Tim Settle who we would take with the second 5th)):
    • ILB Micah Kiser
    • OT Tyrell Crosby
    • OG Scott Quessenberry
    • OG Wyatt Teller
    • QB Mike White

vs

• 1st - Da'Ron Payne

As I've said before, I like the Payne pick. I just don't know if it was the right call when you have a 2019 1st on the table. Likewise, they could have moved back up like Green Bay did.

You have no clue how the Redskins had Hernandez rated. Obviously I was beating the table for them to trade up in the second for him, but could this team afford to not address the gaping hole on the defensive line in the first? I don't think so. I absolutely believe had Vea been there, he would have been taken. (But I have no definitive proof that is the case)

Who do you trot out at RB? I repeatedly said Hernandez would upgrade our run game (almost to the point that an addition RB was unneccessary), but do you take that chance? 

I think Settle was a luxury pick. I absolutely think had the Redskins not selected Payne in the first, they would have overdrafted him in the 2nd or 4th. The need is/was there.

I like 1st round picks, but I think anytime you have a "talent vs quantity of talents" discussion, you have to weigh the pros and cons. I think they made the right decision this time.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

• 1st - Will Hernandez
    • ILB Micah Kiser
    • OT Tyrell Crosby
    • OG Scott Quessenberry
    • OG Wyatt Teller
    • QB Mike White

vs

• 1st - Da'Ron Payne

Someone mat have very well traded down in front of us to grab Hernandez knowing we needed a guard. I'm happy with the Payne pick.

Archived