Seahawks cut Cliff Avril

49erurtaza

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Anyone signed to a 1-year / 1.5M contract shouldn't prevent drafting an OL early, though.   If anything, given the fact draft picks usually don't have a great impact until Year 2 (especially if the Rd1 pick was at 1.27), 1-year stopgaps should never alter draft plans.      I'd be surprised if that really made a ripple into their reasoning.   When you are 31st in DVOA, you're not just 1-2 guys away on OL, outside of Brown or Britt, no one should have been considered a lock.  

Not trying to shoot the messenger, I get you're presenting the SEA FO potential perspective, but even that doesn't hold up water, given the minimal investment applied (vet min for a guy with his service time is just under 800K so this is not a huge outlay of cash - he'd be a potential starter for sure, but being a backup guy that's still a bargain as long as he's not a turnstile, which is a risk esp. coming off injury).

If thats the case then Id imagine the team would turn to Ifedi and Odhiambo (1st Round pick, 3rd Round). Both were varying levels of not good at their tackle positions in their second year, but they still carry high investments (And possible value at guard ala James Carpenter). Again with no 2nd-3rd (until the trade back) it makes sense to focus on positions with less depth and see if your new scheme and players entering their 3rd year can pay off. 

The offensive line was was painful to watch, and I dont have super high expectation this year either. But there are some potential things to hope for. Last years unit was thrown into chaos when LT George Fant shredded his knee, Mark Glowinski was a complete dud, and Luke Joeckle couldnt stay in the lineup. This forced Ethan Pocic and Rees Odhiambo into the lineup about a year before they should have been. I think going into the seasons with a consistent 5 (or at least consistent 4) should help settle things down enough for offense to become much more balanced. 

Seattle has tried to chase after big FA on the OL. They went hard on TJ Lang two years ago, and Andrew Whitworth last year. Just hasn't worked out. But this team won a Superbowl with Paul McQuiston, JR Sweezy and Breno Giacomini playing prominent roles. With so much cap (in previous years) tied up on QB, TE, Secondary and LB, the philosophy has been nickle and dime at positions they believe they can. Not ideal, and certainly has NOT worked out as expected. Within a soft roster refresh, why not roll the dice with your current investments, and work on filling needs elsewhere?

1 minute ago, animaltested said:

If thats the case then Id imagine the team would turn to Ifedi and Odhiambo (1st Round pick, 3rd Round). Both were varying levels of not good at their tackle positions in their second year, but they still carry high investments (And possible value at guard ala James Carpenter). Again with no 2nd-3rd (until the trade back) it makes sense to focus on positions with less depth and see if your new scheme and players entering their 3rd year can pay off. 

The offensive line was was painful to watch, and I dont have super high expectation this year either. But there are some potential things to hope for. Last years unit was thrown into chaos when LT George Fant shredded his knee, Mark Glowinski was a complete dud, and Luke Joeckle couldnt stay in the lineup. This forced Ethan Pocic and Rees Odhiambo into the lineup about a year before they should have been. I think going into the seasons with a consistent 5 (or at least consistent 4) should help settle things down enough for offense to become much more balanced. 

Seattle has tried to chase after big FA on the OL. They went hard on TJ Lang two years ago, and Andrew Whitworth last year. Just hasn't worked out. But this team won a Superbowl with Paul McQuiston, JR Sweezy and Breno Giacomini playing prominent roles. With so much cap (in previous years) tied up on QB, TE, Secondary and LB, the philosophy has been nickle and dime at positions they believe they can. Not ideal, and certainly has NOT worked out as expected. Within a soft roster refresh, why not roll the dice with your current investments, and work on filling needs elsewhere?

Because as you said, the OL has been their worst part of their team - and it's the one thing that will get  your cornerstone player killed.   

If anything, if they have limited resources, attacking via the draft early should be how they invest.   I mean, I get that FA is hard to make an immediate impact - but this is going to get Russell Wilson on the sidelines.  And then upgrading the team elsewhere will look like an afterthought priority-wise.   And the kicker?   SEA saw this in 2016 with Wilson's knee/ankle injury.  That should have been a DEFCON1 type alarm going off to address OL.   And yet they piecemealed it until Duane Brown became available.   

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

When you are 31st in DVOA, you're not just 1-2 guys away on OL

Not to get into you're guys' disagreement here but this is the second time now in this thread that I have seen you misusing these DVOA numbers. The numbers and rankings that you're using is ONLY for run-blocking(which are flawed even by Scott's own admission), not as a whole unit in the way you're representing them to be.

In 2014, Seattle's had a sack rate % of 8.7%, 24th in the league. In 2015, a sack rate of 9%, 30th in the league. In 2016, 7.3%, 26th in the league. In 2017, 8.1%, 26th in the league. 

That is all. Feel free to continue.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not to get into you're guys' disagreement here but this is the second time now in this thread that I have seen you misusing these DVOA numbers. The numbers and rankings that you're using is ONLY for run-blocking(which are flawed even by Scott's own admission), not as a whole unit in the way you're representing them to be.

In 2014, Seattle's had a sack rate % of 8.7%, 24th in the league. In 2015, a sack rate of 9%, 30th in the league. In 2016, 7.3%, 26th in the league. In 2017, 8.1%, 26th in the league. 

That is all. Feel free to continue.

Yeah, my bad, thx for picking that up - the splits are there, hazards of posting off phone & grabbing the #'s too quickly without doing the splits.   Either way, though, it only reinforces the point that SEA's OL has been awful - they were more of a split unit performance wise in 2014-15 (still effective in run game as a top 5 unit), but they've been horrid across the board in 2016-17.   They have to change their MO.   Whatever the reasoning they are using to keep devaluing the OL as an offseason priority, it's clearly not working.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:47 PM, Heinz D. said:

Tom Cable teaches linemen a specific technique that's so unbelievably stupid that every defense can bust through a Cable line's protection?  

I could spin all sorts of fun side stories off that single assertion, but I think I'll go straight to the inevitable, far more logical conclusion--the Seahawks haven't picked up players that have done a good job protecting the quarterback. (I do think Brown will work out, though). The situation is kind of like what we saw with the Giants, up 'til this year. 

Just to reinforce how much of a hazard to QBs' heaths Tom Cable is:

The long and short of this story would be that this actually is projecting the Raiders' starting tackles to be Kolton Miller and Breno Giacomini.  Just let that sink in.  Cable has an innate way of ingratiating himself to the head coaches he works under and planting himself like a tick, and then he uses that influence to steer the personnel acquisitions.  Make no mistake, Cable had a heavy hand in those OL that Seattle drafted (there's about 1-2 of them max that actually fit what had been the Ted Thompson mold/preference that most would have generally ascribed to Schneider as well).  Those SPARQ-happy DL they seemed to habitually select with fantasies of turning them into outstanding OL... Cable and his arrogance that was fairly unfounded since it worked all of what?  Once... sort of with J.R. Sweezy (not like Tampa hadn't been trying to improve upon him this offseason after shelling out $6M+ AAV to him on the free agent market.

Archived