Where does Calvin Johnson rank all-time?

Cheesehawk

47 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Calvin Johnson rank all-time?

• Top 3
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20

Top 5. I'd put him behind Rice, Moss and Owens. I know a lot of people around here would put him behind Fitzgerald as well. Should still be primarily getting top 5 votes though.

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

top 3 (Randy, Calvin, Julio) prospect all,  time with great production. 

All time he is behind, Jerry, Randy, Owens, Fitz and Don imo. 

Forgive my ignorance, but who is "Don"?

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Don hutson who played during WW2 and put up insane stats but probably wouldn't start for most D1 Texas Highschool teams in 2018.

This is a whole nother can of worms. It's like saying someone in Baseball, before the live ball era, is one of the greatest all time. He wouldn't even make a team in the modern day.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Don hutson who played during WW2 and put up insane stats but probably wouldn't start for most D1 Texas Highschool teams in 2018.

He is old as hell now though. It wouldn't be fair on him. 

6 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Nah i meant in his prime as a 28 year old.

Even so, he is an NFL great, he out did his competition by double I think.

Also you don't know how good he would be now anyway. todays athletes sit on the shoulders of the guys who went before them in the 2000's, 1990's, 1980's, all the players, coaches, fans, nutritionist etc that  make the game what it is.

In the NFL today he might be a 6'1" guy that runs a 4.3 that can catch and move and he might be a pro bowl WR or HOFer. Or he might just be a good high school player. 

all of this is conjecture is the point. 

the 1 truth is Don was an all time NFL great WR who was a trail blazer and record setter. 

Heck he also had 30 ints, the guy could play. 

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Brutal, who apparently still reads this site from The Home, furiously got ahold of me and ranted for several minutes how "Dangerous Don" Hutson (oh, those nicknames!) could by golly run rings around these young flippertygibbets nowadays and in fact ran an 11.79 hundred yard dash in college. Additionally, he would ike @NormSizedMidget to pay him a visit.

2 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

Top 3, I'd say; and, had he stayed around a few more years, he might have eventually ranked up there with Stefon Diggs-!! O.o

Image result for stefon diggs

2 minutes ago, bzane said:

Brutal, who apparently still reads this site from The Home, furiously got ahold of me and ranted for several minutes how "Dangerous Don" Hutson (oh, those nicknames!) could by golly run rings around these young flippertygibbets nowadays and in fact ran an 11.79 hundred yard dash in college. Additionally, he would ike @NormSizedMidget to pay him a visit.

How much film of Hutson is even out there? To have watched Hutson as a 10 year old, you would have had to have been born in 1925, and would be in your mid 90s now. If you watched him play as a 20 year old you are now 103 years old.

And did they even televise all the games nationally back then?

Chances are extremely high that most people who talk about Don hutson as being so great never even saw the guy play or saw highlights of him.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

How much film of Hutson is even out there? To have watched Hutson as a 10 year old, you would have had to have been born in 1925, and would be in your mid 90s now. If you watched him play as a 20 year old you are now 103 years old.

And did they even televise all the games nationally back then?

Chances are extremely high that most people who talk about Don hutson as being so great never even saw the guy play or saw highlights of him.

We-e-e-ellllll, that's our boy, Brutal. His backstory changes with his whims. Norm knows him better than I do. Not sure how old he is, and whom he has actually seen. He has, by his own admission, a huge library of old football books and photographs; so addled is he at times that he may think he got an autograph from Red Grange in 1925. The opinions on Don Hutson are Brutal's, not mine.

Brutal did mention that Don Hutson was known in his playing days as "The Rampaging Raccoon":

Image result for don hutson

Archived