Rookie camp discussion

49erurtaza

54 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Anyone out there got any insight into Moore? Not a whole lot out there that I"ve found about him. I did find a nice ariticle that said he had the kind of speed and ball skills that might allow him to be a Earl Thomas type center fielder. That got me excited!  Except I see we're trying him out at CB.Anyone know if he played any CB in  college, or got an idea if this is just an early experiment or are serious about playing him there?

He played corner in highschool then moved over to safety in highschool.

4 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Any thoughts on Julian Taylor vs Jones? When we picked Jones last year I thought that might have turned into a great late round pick. But it seems like the enthusiasm for him went downhill throughout the season. Now I'm liking  what I've seen and what I'm reading about Taylor.

Different positions in my opinion. Jones is a 1 tech NT, Taylor I view as a 3 tech UT in our defense. They shouldn't have any bearing on one another

15 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Anyone out there got any insight into Moore? Not a whole lot out there that I"ve found about him. I did find a nice ariticle that said he had the kind of speed and ball skills that might allow him to be a Earl Thomas type center fielder. That got me excited!  Except I see we're trying him out at CB.Anyone know if he played any CB in  college, or got an idea if this is just an early experiment or are serious about playing him there?

I don't have any more information that you do, but my impression is that the team is dead serious about trying to convert Moore (back) to corner. CBs in this scheme play a bit like safeties, anyway, and Richard Sherman seems like the best possible teacher of technique at the position. It's a swing for the fences based on crazy athleticism, excellent scheme fit, and having a great mentor on the roster.

It also seems to be a law of the universe that the 49ers win every trade of draft picks with the Patriots. This bodes well for Tarvarius, of house Niner.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Different positions in my opinion. Jones is a 1 tech NT, Taylor I view as a 3 tech UT in our defense. They shouldn't have any bearing on one another

Ah I just went back and looked this up again. I must have been confusing him with someone else. I thought he was shorter and muich heavier. You're right. At that size and with his reported skillset he could make a nice UT, especially if he's a good penetrator and get some inside pressure on the QB. We're going to need all the inside pressure we can get since our outside guys are, ummmm,. not very good.

46 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Ah I just went back and looked this up again. I must have been confusing him with someone else. I thought he was shorter and muich heavier. You're right. At that size and with his reported skillset he could make a nice UT, especially if he's a good penetrator and get some inside pressure on the QB. We're going to need all the inside pressure we can get since our outside guys are, ummmm,. not very good.

I'll be interested to see if he beats out Sheldon Day. Day was generally viewed positively from what I understand, and Jacksonville fans were sad to see him go. I don't remember having an issues with Day when he played for us in his very limited time. Given Taylor's injury history, I'd probably put my money on Day making the roster and Taylor being ir'd, or we will take a shot putting him on the practice squad

Once again, i think Ronald Blair is sort of the wildcard on the line. I know we all like him quite a bit, I liked him to the point where I thought between him and Armstead, we shouldn't have taken Thomas for the "big end" position. But if the staff is sour on him and aren't sure about Armstead, I could see why they picked Street in the fourth...sort of...

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

Once again, i think Ronald Blair is sort of the wildcard on the line. I know we all like him quite a bit, I liked him to the point where I thought between him and Armstead, we shouldn't have taken Thomas for the "big end" position. But if the staff is sour on him and aren't sure about Armstead, I could see why they picked Street in the fourth...sort of...

I do feel like the staff isn't all that high on Blair. Or at least not as high as some people in here are on him. Not sure why, but that's the feeling I have. Personally I've thought he has looked pretty solid in his limited playing time. Didn't love they pick at the time because he wasn't a fit for the defense, but he's a very good for for this one. I feel like he's flashed a bit here and there to warrant more consideration at the very least. Street actually reminded me a lot of Blair to be honest, albeit Street is a little more athletic. 

20 hours ago, John232 said:

The FO seems to want to clean house from teh Baalke era.  A few guys like Staley for example are just too good and too much part of what the team strives to be that they won't get cut until they can't perform any more. I doubt that Blair falls into that category. I know they would say they are looking purely at talent, but somewhere deep down under the surface there's still this bias that guys they've brought on board are better than the guys they inherited.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived