Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't mind keeping a fullback, I'm just not so sure I'm crazy about Ripkowski.  It's like... If you're a passing team, I think if you're going to have a fullback, that fullback should be more about power than finesse.  I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if you're a passing team like we are, you're typically going to struggle on third/fourth and short just like we do.  It would make sense to have a power type fullback who can get that one yard.  Ripkowski can't.  I don't think that's just bad perception on my part either, I think there are numbers to back that up.  We have absolutely sucked on 3rd/4th and short for a very long time, and if our running backs can't get it done, maybe a better run blocking fullback could help us get there.  Ripkowski had one impressive pass catch and run in his rookie year that made me think he had a little beast mode in him, but I haven't really seen much at all from him in that department since that one catch in his rookie year. 

I'm not sure what games you're watching to lead you to the assumption that Rip is a finesse fullback. He's fine for what we ask him to do, and he absolutely is capable of picking up a yard if the play all isn't a telegraphed FB dive where the OL gets no push and Rip has no head of steam.

I think the idea of Rips value comes from special teams. He is a core special teams player. When you are discussing backend of the 53 roster that is what it comes down to really. Everyone wants more value... is keeping a Byrd at TE or a young WR or an extra OT really that much more valuable then a FB? Sure when injuries just destroy depth... but you can’t let fear of injury make you pick a less talent.

I mean it comes down to special teams value and if they have any hopes of developing into anything at their position.

I mean are Pankey, meadows, light, and Alsadek really worth Rip’s spot? Byrd, Rader, Tonyan? 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't mind keeping a fullback, I'm just not so sure I'm crazy about Ripkowski.  It's like... If you're a passing team, I think if you're going to have a fullback, that fullback should be more about power than finesse.  I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if you're a passing team like we are, you're typically going to struggle on third/fourth and short just like we do.  It would make sense to have a power type fullback who can get that one yard.  Ripkowski can't.  I don't think that's just bad perception on my part either, I think there are numbers to back that up.  We have absolutely sucked on 3rd/4th and short for a very long time, and if our running backs can't get it done, maybe a better run blocking fullback could help us get there.  Ripkowski had one impressive pass catch and run in his rookie year that made me think he had a little beast mode in him, but I haven't really seen much at all from him in that department since that one catch in his rookie year. 

As a runner I don't disagree, I think he's super scared of fumbling the ball anymore. As a lead though he generally beats his man, he might not always blow it up but he creates enough lane. A RB with a bit more pop behind the pads would be nice. Jamaal has good drive but I don't think he really carries lead behind the pads.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I'm not sure what games you're watching to lead you to the assumption that Rip is a finesse fullback. He's fine for what we ask him to do, and he absolutely is capable of picking up a yard if the play all isn't a telegraphed FB dive where the OL gets no push and Rip has no head of steam.

Do you have numbers to prove this?  Not doubting, I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.  And @HighCalebR, I think with our backs and our o-line, we need someone who CAN blow it up. 

2 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Do you have numbers to prove this?  Not doubting, I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.  And @HighCalebR, I think with our backs and our o-line, we need someone who CAN blow it up. 

Come on man, what numbers prove a player is finesse or isn't? Somethings are told by your eyes.

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You're just not going to get that anymore. They aren't being produced at the collegiate level. With most offenses the FB still has to carry some threat on rollouts or swings. Be athletic enough to run down on all the specials. The Quinn Johnsons of the world are the extinct sort of FB.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Come on man, what numbers prove a player is finesse or isn't? Somethings are told by your eyes.

I was asking for numbers on succesful first down conversions on third/fourth and short. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I was asking for numbers on succesful first down conversions on third/fourth and short. 

We're going off of really one year of him carrying the ball. Sample size shouldn't be used one way or another to prove a point. Like I said that, Mac has some real stinkers of calls that will go against him.

Rip didn't have a third or fourth down carry to convert last season. He really didn't rush much at all, 5 carries, 13 yards and a 2.6 average.  He caught 7 passes for 39 yards and a 5.6 average.  I think he's a solid lead blocker and he's probably the best pass blocking back we have.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/02/08/packers-lay-foundation-future-running-game/319941002/

9 minutes ago, Apex said:

Rip didn't have a third or fourth down carry to convert last season.

Rip needs more reps cause his vision is crappy.

I've seen him run into the OL's ample *** too many times. Kuhn developed a knack for finding the crease

That was my point though, Rip doesn't offer any threat other than blocking on offense. Lewis could fill that role and is more capable of catching a pass. Just a heads up, I really hate giving a handoff to a fullback.

My point is I don't think we have anyone capable of getting that one yard.  I have literally felt more comfortable with a 3rd and 10 than a 3rd and one for the past 3-4 years.  I feel like The Great Sorrow put some bad Voodoo on our ability to convert that third or fourth and short. 

21 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

My point is I don't think we have anyone capable of getting that one yard.  I have literally felt more comfortable with a 3rd and 10 than a 3rd and one for the past 3-4 years.  I feel like The Great Sorrow put some bad Voodoo on our ability to convert that third or fourth and short. 

Getting that one yard is partly on the OL as well though and we dont have a great run blocking OL. Great pass blocking OL but on 3rd and 1 our OL gets pushed back more times than it gets a push forward. 

Archived