Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I fear it will be Hundley and we're back to square one. My hope is Kizer makes this an easy decision, in a good way.

Hundley does kinda rule the ps where nobody plays more than white bread defense...

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Who is Patrick Swain?

Did you mean Brett?

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Who is Patrick Swain?

Did you mean Brett?

He made a hype thread about him. But he called him Patrick instead of Brett lol

11 hours ago, Lodestar said:

I get the feeling Goodson practices really well and that's why he's hung around. He's also decent on special teams. Obviously don't expect him to make the team this year, but crazier things have happened.

Yeah for a little while there, Goodson might of been the best gunner on STs. I expect someone good at gunner to make it, though they got a couple of options including SS Evans, who has been playing well there... also could be someone completely different if they go with coverage ability.

7 hours ago, Stevein2012 said:

If Goodson earns a spot on the team so be it.  The guy has to have worked his *** off just to get to this point after that nasty injury he had.

I agree with that... if he earns a spot then he deserves it. But he's also looked horrible in coverage to me before and after that injury, but he was extremely good on STs and who knows, he could improve on coverage, after all even Jarrett Bush did after a while.

3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Does Good play any Safety?

I think physically he could, but I'm not sure mentally you want him at Safety. I mean no disrespect by his mental state, just last couple of times I saw him out there, it looked like he was doing alright, then he'd start guessing where the WR would go and would guess wrong and the WR would get wide open based on that wrong guess. Basically he'd take a huge chance and get burned by it... that's not Safe and as the last line of defense, a Safety needs to play smart and some what safe.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Yeah for a little while there, Goodson might of been the best gunner on STs. I expect someone good at gunner to make it, though they got a couple of options including SS Evans, who has been playing well there... also could be someone completely different if they go with coverage ability.

Evans not taking a big step forward last year surprised me. He was a beast in preseason. I still have hopes for him.

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Evans not taking a big step forward last year surprised me. He was a beast in preseason. I still have hopes for him.

Yeah Evans struggles in coverage (and that's why Whitehead passed him towards the end of last season)... Evan's good in the run game and has great form tackling which is partly why he makes a really good ST gunner which is what I meant by he has been playing well there (at gunner). But both Evans and Jones need to improve their coverage, they got the physical ability, I think it's the mental adjustment to the NFL and getting used to it.

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yeah Evans struggles in coverage (and that's why Whitehead passed him towards the end of last season)... Evan's good in the run game and has great form tackling which is partly why he makes a really good ST gunner which is what I meant by he has been playing well there (at gunner). But both Evans and Jones need to improve their coverage, they got the physical ability, I think it's the mental adjustment to the NFL and getting used to it.

That makes a lot of sense. Between Evans and Brice, I was sure it would be Evans who would end up with playing time on defense. You're right that I can't remember him making any great plays in coverage. He is a beast chasing guys down and wrapping up though.

From Packers Wire:

OLB Reggie Gilbert

Gilbert stated his case as the Packers’ third-best edge rusher. He beat blocks, got into the backfield and caused disruption, both as a rusher and against the run. On one impressive play, Gilbert shed the block of a much-bigger guard and stuffed a run down in the red zone. A play later, he chased Blaine Gabbert to the sideline and forced a throwaway. He also should have tallied a sack when he beat the right tackle clean to the inside but failed to finish at the quarterback. Still, the end result was a hurried throw and an incompletion. Overall, it was an impressive preseason debut for Gilbert.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From Packers Wire:

OLB Reggie Gilbert

Gilbert stated his case as the Packers’ third-best edge rusher. He beat blocks, got into the backfield and caused disruption, both as a rusher and against the run. On one impressive play, Gilbert shed the block of a much-bigger guard and stuffed a run down in the red zone. A play later, he chased Blaine Gabbert to the sideline and forced a throwaway. He also should have tallied a sack when he beat the right tackle clean to the inside but failed to finish at the quarterback. Still, the end result was a hurried throw and an incompletion. Overall, it was an impressive preseason debut for Gilbert.

Yeah it's great that he's stepping up... but also sorta shows the depth isn't the best. Though Pettine's upfront scheme works on gimmicks and tricks to get one on one match-ups and physical play... and that DL might do great with one on one match-ups and physical play.

Archived