Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Hopefully this is one of those psychological, motivational demotions to light a fire under Spriggs because if he truly lost his spot to Bell, a guy who has no business even playing a snap at tackle, then we are in deep **** in terms of our OT depth.

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Ah, you're one of those Packers fans huh. You'll fit in very well in this forum. 

Yeah, we do need more knowledgeable fans around here so he’s definitely welcome. Give it a shot sometime and you too can fit in. Less hot takes, more using the brain. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Hopefully this is one of those psychological, motivational demotions to light a fire under Spriggs because if he truly lost his spot to Bell, a guy who has no business even playing a snap at tackle, then we are in deep **** in terms of our OT depth.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. 

• I'd assumed it was for disciplinary reasons. 
  • Obviously not for health, given that he played.  
  • Possible that they just figured he's worse than Bell? 
  • Maybe more about wanting to see Bell against unfamiliar 2nd-string rather than 3rd string guys? 
  • Maybe thought Spriggs would be less likely to get embarrassed facing 2nd-half 3rd-string rushers? 
  • Maybe didn't want him to try to do too much on the knee against a guy like Landry?  
  • The note says he was caught off guard, not for disciplinary reasons.  I wonder if coaches explain the reasoning, or if players are left wondering?  Would think in a healthy workplace, a guy probably ought to know what the thinking is.  (Maybe he did, and just didn't share it with Silverstein.)  

Just now, craig said:

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. 

• I'd assumed it was for disciplinary reasons. 
  • Obviously not for health, given that he played.  
  • Possible that they just figured he's worse than Bell? 
  • Maybe more about wanting to see Bell against unfamiliar 2nd-string rather than 3rd string guys? 
  • Maybe thought Spriggs would be less likely to get embarrassed facing 2nd-half 3rd-string rushers? 
  • Maybe didn't want him to try to do too much on the knee against a guy like Landry?  
  • The note says he was caught off guard, not for disciplinary reasons.  I wonder if coaches explain the reasoning, or if players are left wondering?  Would think in a healthy workplace, a guy probably ought to know what the thinking is.  (Maybe he did, and just didn't share it with Silverstein.)  

McCarthy said in his presser after the game that "something happened" that made them start Bell over Spriggs. Didn't go into detail obviously, but kind of weird.

14 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

McCarthy said in his presser after the game that "something happened" that made them start Bell over Spriggs. Didn't go into detail obviously, but kind of weird.

Yeah, that's very weird.  I still wonder if "discipline" semantics is involved.  Spriggs says it wasn't discipline, maybe as in skipping a meeting or breaking curfew.  But maybe for MM it was discipline in terms of effort or pad-level or deviation from Campen's hand-placement instructions, or something?  Whatever, something kinda weird.  Will be interesting to see how it plays out the next couple of games, and whether Spriggs plays at a level sufficiently anti-awful to merit the #2 assignment.  

Am sure hoping so, both with hopes that Spriggs will turn into a somewhat useful player still, and also in that I'd like to be able to release Bell and use a roster spot on somebody with more long-term potential than Bell.  

10 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Ah, you're one of those Packers fans huh. You'll fit in very well in this forum. 

Yep, I don't make stuff up to bellyache about- I'm definitely "one of those".

Sadly, no, I really don't fit in this forum anymore. True analysis  isn't the main vibe anymore. It's much more about power whining and making things up to bellyache about... Perfect  for you.

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Conducting a Vulcan mind meld....my hand on the computer screen as I divine Donzo's message................and coming up empty.
I shudda known that "Become a Vulcan in ten easy lessons" thing was a con :)

:D

Archived