Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Cheech said:

CB 1 - Jackson - a month ago, I thought he would be 4th on this list, too.  I didn't think his man coverage was up to snuff yet.

I absolutely had questions.  I clearly stated that I did.  I never thought he'd be able to play in the slot either.

What hasn't he done in the last 3 PS games to answer the doubters?

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Ok...let's back it up.  What games did you watch where you thought, yeah he could handle a man-based scheme?

I hate to jump in to this.

I watch a lot of Iowa football.  I brought this issue up before camp ever started.  

I feel Iowa corners like Jackson get punished for Ferentz's zone based scheme- Desmond King last year was another.  Too slow, needs to play safety, drops to the fifth round- but goes on to be a very productive rookie as the slot defender for the Chargers.

Jackson did occasionally have to play man at times as well.  It wasn't often though, but he did at times in every game.  When he did, he did reasonably well, though I thought he was a bit grabby.  As an example, while it is always hard to know for sure what the defensive call is,  he sure looked to be in man coverage on Ohio State's opening play where Barrett throws the pick six, and Jackson did a good job of obstructing the route of the receiver.  Obviously, he didn't get the pick, but he may have helped by altering the route.

As a result of having watched Iowa a lot, I posted that he might be better in man than many thought- he just wasn't given the opportunity to show it as much due to scheme.

I don't say that to brag, just to show that this isn't some wild statement now that he is showing some positive traits.  

That being said, I don't agree that he is our number one corner.  King may have the label of slow coming out of his breaks, but he is fast enough to catch up and deny Julio on the drag route in week two last year.  King played a scheme in Washington that pushed the in breaking routes to Budda Baker or Ahkeem Victor in the middle, and I believe it was an adjustment to follow those in the NFL.  King is still developing, and has his shoulder issues, but I believe he may develop into a top perimeter corner.  Between King, Alexander, and Jackson I believe the future is very bright for the Packers, and it is way to early to try and rank them as they all have a lot to learn.

Lastly, as a non-sequiter, Iowa has a safety that made the single best tackle I have ever seen, coming down from the deep safety position and dropping Saquon Barkley in the open field.  He is a junior this year and worth watching for next year's draft.

8 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

King may have the label of slow coming out of his breaks, but he is fast enough to catch up and deny Julio on the drag route in week two last year.  

I appreciate thoughtful dialogue.  Thank you.  And I know that some may think I'm premature in throwing Jackson out there.  But I see a kid out there playing that position as well as it has been played in what seems like an eternity.  (I know it hasn't been that long since we had 37, 21, 38, 33 and 29 on the field at the same time.)

King absolutely made plays last year to get excited about.  That particular play stands out in many people's minds when they think of his rookie season.  He can come down the field and tackle like a safety, too.  I love it.  

I just see fewer holes in Jackson's coverage game and the kid is only going to get better once he's had more time to study the defense and opposing players.  The route that he takes to the ball is better than most CB's in the NFL.  He's going to score points just as he did last season at Iowa.  

And the Iowa safety is Amani Hooker.   He's as good as advertised.  

32 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I have, you must be new.

Any further discussion with you about CBs would be a futile effort based on what you've typed thus far. 

Right.  Then don't take offense when I @ you for every time Jackson scores 6.

The list below is from Packers.com.

Green Bays roster

BY AGE (as of Aug. 16)

• 21-24: 49 players
  • 25-28: 29 players
  • 29-32: 8 players
  • 33-plus: 4 players

BY EXPERIENCE

• Rookie-1: 36 players
  • 2-3rd yr    30 players
  • 4-5:            8 players
  • 6-9:          11 players
  • 10-plus:     5 players

BY DRAFT ROUND

1st:             9 players
2nd/3rd:    14 players
4th/5th:     16 players
6th/7th:     10 players
Undrafted: 41 players

I'll be interested to see what the figures are, after cutdown. Virtually all the cuts will be the younger players, mostly the first age bracket, some in the second one.

QB watch from PackersNews

DeShone Kizer has shown in camp he can deliver the deep ball and did again twice Monday. Early in practice, fourth-round pick J’Mon Moore got behind Donatello Brown, and Kizer put the long throw on the money for a touchdown. A little later, Davante Adams got behind Hawkins, and Kizer’s long throw was catchable but just went off Adams’ fingers. With Aaron Rodgers missing practice because of an illness, Kizer clearly had the best day among the quarterbacks. He threw several darts over the middle, though he also was intercepted when he threw behind Randall Cobb. Cobb got a hand on the pass, but defensive back Quinten Rollins made a diving catch of the carom.

On 8/26/2018 at 7:53 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I hate to jump in to this.

I watch a lot of Iowa football.  I brought this issue up before camp ever started.  

I feel Iowa corners like Jackson get punished for Ferentz's zone based scheme- Desmond King last year was another.  Too slow, needs to play safety, drops to the fifth round- but goes on to be a very productive rookie as the slot defender for the Chargers.

Jackson did occasionally have to play man at times as well.  It wasn't often though, but he did at times in every game.  When he did, he did reasonably well, though I thought he was a bit grabby.  As an example, while it is always hard to know for sure what the defensive call is,  he sure looked to be in man coverage on Ohio State's opening play where Barrett throws the pick six, and Jackson did a good job of obstructing the route of the receiver.  Obviously, he didn't get the pick, but he may have helped by altering the route.

As a result of having watched Iowa a lot, I posted that he might be better in man than many thought- he just wasn't given the opportunity to show it as much due to scheme.

I don't say that to brag, just to show that this isn't some wild statement now that he is showing some positive traits.  

That being said, I don't agree that he is our number one corner.  King may have the label of slow coming out of his breaks, but he is fast enough to catch up and deny Julio on the drag route in week two last year.  King played a scheme in Washington that pushed the in breaking routes to Budda Baker or Ahkeem Victor in the middle, and I believe it was an adjustment to follow those in the NFL.  King is still developing, and has his shoulder issues, but I believe he may develop into a top perimeter corner.  Between King, Alexander, and Jackson I believe the future is very bright for the Packers, and it is way to early to try and rank them as they all have a lot to learn.

Lastly, as a non-sequiter, Iowa has a safety that made the single best tackle I have ever seen, coming down from the deep safety position and dropping Saquon Barkley in the open field.  He is a junior this year and worth watching for next year's draft.

Ragnar, you are awesome.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

DeShone Kizer has shown in camp he can deliver the deep ball and did again twice Monday. Early in practice, fourth-round pick J’Mon Moore got behind Donatello Brown, and Kizer put the long throw on the money for a touchdown. A little later, Davante Adams got behind Hawkins, and Kizer’s long throw was catchable but just went off Adams’ fingers. With Aaron Rodgers missing practice because of an illness, Kizer clearly had the best day among the quarterbacks. He threw several darts over the middle, though he also was intercepted when he threw behind Randall Cobb. Cobb got a hand on the pass, but defensive back Quinten Rollins made a diving catch of the carom.

I wonder if MM will let Kizer start this week instead of Hundley so we can see Kizer operate with more starters?  It is hard to tell if he is really any better than Brett if he is playing with backups especially on the O line.

43 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I wonder if MM will let Kizer start this week instead of Hundley so we can see Kizer operate with more starters?  It is hard to tell if he is really any better than Brett if he is playing with backups especially on the O line.

If McCarthy plays any starters this week who aren't currently fighting for a starting spot then he sucks.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

It's going to be sweet to have Rodgers throwing to Davante Adams the Original and Davante Moore in a year or two with along with MVS and a dash of EQ. :D

Archived