Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Really sounds like he has a shot. Figured he was toast.

IF Davis makes it....it might be because when you set the 46 actives, it looks a little different than when you set the 53 roster. The deep reserves at WR will have a minimal contribution relative to the # 1 punt returner and being one of the top gunners. Not sure who is handling KRs, but maybe he does that too

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

IF Davis makes it....it might be because when you set the 46 actives, it looks a little different than when you set the 53 roster. The deep reserves at WR will have a minimal contribution relative to the # 1 punt returner and being one of the top gunners. Not sure who is handling KRs, but maybe he does that too

Very true. We've gotten real caught up in losing a wr obviously and I get that. It's not an easy decision. You don't want to lose a guy who you think can play down the road on offense. You don't want to lose a game because you muffed a punt either. 

11 minutes ago, Norm said:

Really sounds like he has a shot. Figured he was toast.

It could go either way IMO - but I wouldnt have a problem if Davis is retained. I'd hoped he'd show growth as a WR this TC - but that hasnt happened. I just dont want Alexander exposed to injury handling the return job. His greatest value (and need) is as that slot CB. He'll affect / change more games from there than he would as a returner.

43 minutes ago, Leader said:

It could go either way IMO - but I wouldnt have a problem if Davis is retained. I'd hoped he'd show growth as a WR this TC - but that hasnt happened. I just dont want Alexander exposed to injury handling the return job. His greatest value (and need) is as that slot CB. He'll affect / change more games from there than he would as a returner.

Yeah I'm not trying to make it sound like he's in. I'd love to move on from him. I'm just scared of the ramifications. I'm probably a little smallest snake bitten by the punter issues we had for a while that drove me batty

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm probably a little snake bitten by the punter issues we had for a while that drove me batty

When you put a new guy back there returning punts - there's a learning curve for all of them, even if they did it in college. Davis is pre-disastered. And hopefully we're on the other side of that hump with him. GB can start all over with Alexander or others, but they are likely to make similar rookie mistakes along the way. Even a vet like Rollins struggled when given the chance to return punts under live fire

Krauser is one of the more astute posters at FF....  but he's surely hoping that Wilkerson sucks given his purple proclivities
Wilkerson has to step up and show that he's still got it  - and if taking criticism from Krauser and others helps with that effort, then its a win for Packer Nation.

Another snippet from Cohen at The Athletic

"Spriggs is rebounding from a dislocated left knee cap suffered last December, and his performance in camp has fluctuated between uneven and unsightly. His mobility appears compromised by a bulky brace on his left knee, and gaining 20 pounds in the offseason has dulled his quickness.

“Let me put it this way: I don’t have as much explosiveness,” Spriggs said earlier in camp. “I guess I’m starting even now [to get it back]. So my right leg was always a lot stronger than my left because I played left tackle for four years in college. So I was trying to strengthen my left leg to start with, and then this happened."

44 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Odd, I was told by @Krauser Wilkerson sucked based off on play so does this one play mean he’s good now? ;)

Wilkerson, outside of really the one play versus Pitt when he was driven off the LOS on the TD run, has played well against the run in the preseason. Hopefully, his pass rush ramps up once the real action starts because I didn't see much of that in the preseason from him in limited snaps. We're going to need that during the season. 

58 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah I'm not trying to make it sound like he's in. I'd love to move on from him. I'm just scared of the ramifications. I'm probably a little smallest snake bitten by the punter issues we had for a while that drove me batty

Personally, I think Alexander would handle the PR duties no problem after what I saw against Oakland. That being said, I don't love the idea of having him back there because he'll be critical to the defense. It's tough because I think Kumerow really has the ability to contribute to this team, this year, as a WR and the same probably cannot be said about Davis, however, Davis has the much greater impact on STs. Tough call either way but you probably won't see both on the roster. 

Archived