Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

In case you're wondering, I'm perfectly fine having Dez Bryant for 2018 and having to cut a 6th or 7th round rookie who likely has a 5% chance to ever do anything in the NFL. Sometimes you have to gamble to win. That's my 2 cents on that. 

Personally, I'd keep 6 WRs and go Adams, Dez, Cobb, Moore, ESB, 6th man (probably Davis b/c ST but battle with MVS). Clark is a dud IMO and Allison is the odd man out because he offers nothing on ST and has a low ceiling at WR. He'll probably be available midway through the season if Adams or Dez gets hurt. Conversely, if ESB looks like **** in TC you could keep Allison over him. Last year we cut Yancey and Dupre after everyone was raving about them and ESB/MVS right now are no different, they just have better Youtube highlight reels and look better in shorts. 

They haven't even made it to TC and you're already writing them off....wow, just wow...

5 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I don't think they view it like that tbh. Right or wrong.

Fundamentally I think win now doesn't work anyways. Though I understand the logic. I get you because you truly just want to win. We all do. I'm just not sure it's as simple as signing everyone and you win. Because when you don't, well... It can hurt

It worked for Denver recently, It worked for GB in the mid-90s under Wolf. You don't have to get reckless, but these aren't reckless moves we are talking about. We are talking about signing a WR who is a free agent who isn't in high demand. We aren't talking about trading two 1st round picks for Odell Beckham. 

Just now, Joe said:

They haven't even made it to TC and you're already writing them off....wow, just wow...

Not writing them off, just playing the law of averages. Day 3 WRs (especially late round ones) rarely work out. It's not rocket science. 

9 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Assumed that he told them I'll make him happy, I know how to coach him.  I can get the best from him.

It's different and you know it

I have friends that are insane drunks I can control. I can't control every insane drunk

My point is simply that Dez would have no reason not to be engaged during a full year with Rodgers. It can only profit him, immensely. Presumably he cares about money above all else. Best way to fulfill that dream is play with Rodgers and act like a model citizen. Wilkerson has the same goal in the end. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My point is simply that Dez would have no reason not to be engaged during a full year with Rodgers. It can only profit him, immensely. Presumably he cares about money above all else. Best way to fulfill that dream is play with Rodgers and act like a model citizen. Wilkerson has the same goal in the end. 

Tru dat - but in a one year "rebuild the reputation" scenario so he can cash in again.....is he gonna become a prima donna when the passes arent heading his way? When Adams / Cobb / Graham are "stealing" food off his future table? With Dez - thats something you have to wonder about.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Tru dat - but in a one year "rebuild the reputation" scenario so he can cash in again.....is he gonna become a prima donna when the passes arent heading his way? When Adams / Cobb / Graham are "stealing" food off his future table? With Dez - thats something you have to wonder about.

Always a possibility. Guy isn't perfect, otherwise he would have had 10 teams fighting over him at $10+ per year. I think winning solves most of that though. Same reason why Martellus Bennett would still likely be our TE1 today had Rodgers never gotten hurt. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Always a possibility. Guy isn't perfect, otherwise he would have had 10 teams fighting over him at $10+ per year. I think winning solves most of that though. Same reason why Martellus Bennett would still likely be our TE1 today had Rodgers never gotten hurt. 

Good points. I'm at a stage now where I'm questioning if signing Dez speaks to my personal comfort zone - or truly enhances the team. I've not reached the end of that road yet.....

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Realistically, how may late round picks develop into starters in their first year?  From the bottom of their class in regards to talent to NFL starter?  No one is writing them off but realistically speaking their chances of bombing out of the NFL  is monumentally higher than developing into a starter much less a starter as a rookie.  We made a similar investment last year into the same caliber of prospects and neither made the roster much less developed into a starter year 1.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Nelson wasnt getting any separation either

Nelson has surely lost a little but you are fooling yourself if you believe he didn't get any separation last year.  He lead the league in TD catches prior to the AR12 injury (and would have added another had AR12 not missed him in the endzone against Dallas where he'd torched his guy).  There were also a ton of occasions where Hundley missed him running free in the secondary.  He was also fresh off a 1250 catch, 14 TD season less than 12 months removed from an ACL injury.  

The idea that he lost all of his athletic ability overnight is crazy.  His issues last year weren't any worse than Graham's and you've got people thinking we're getting a 1200 yard, 10+ TD TE.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Moreover, if Bryant is suddenly a nobody because of his last few seasons (which frankly are still pretty solid statistically), why are the same people so fired up about Wilkerson? He's literally the exact same story

Can we get Dez for 5 mil?

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good points. I'm at a stage now where I'm questioning if signing Dez speaks to my personal comfort zone - or truly enhances the team. I've not reached the end of that road yet.....

I mean, I'd be a huge advocate for the signing as I have made abundantly clear, but I'm also a realist who has watched GB football my whole life including the last 10 years. I'd fall down dead of shock if we signed Dez Bryant. I've already told myself it won't happen but I'll complain about it anyways because there's nothing else to do in May. 

4 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Can we get Dez for 5 mil?

Who knows. I'm guessing he ends up signing from something around that neighborhood, maybe with some incentives built in. He going to eventually end up playing for some amount of money and might end up becoming a beggar versus a chooser. 

*Adding to this, my guess is right now....the answer to your question is "no". Dez is probably holding out because why not when it's May. Now if one team caves and gives him a deal closer to $10 million, he probably goes there, but the longer this drags out his price will have to come down and then it becomes about more than just money on a one year deal...it becomes about going to the right place so I can get a better contract next year. 

3 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I think you’re getting a bit hung up on position. Graham isn’t going to be positioned on the line, and asked to block not nearly as much as Bennett ( there’s no way Mac is dumb like Sea), Graham is going to be used like a WR a good majority of snaps, a lot more that Bennett.

Do you watch football games and just completely miss formational alignments?

Bennett, Cook, Rodgers, Finley, Quarles, etc. have all played a **** ton of snaps outside, some seasons more than half their snaps.

You're talking about this like it's going to be some new thing. 2x2 and 3x1 are extremely common alignments. This isn't even a Packers thing, this is an NFL thing. It's not 2005 anymore. 

8 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Talking about Jordy, I think our offense is gonna be very different to where his loss isn’t significant. 

I think we’re going to move to a more more systematic offensive approach, and less of a big play offense. I think our running game is going to be featured more, Cobb/Monty/Graham short to intermediate routes and Davante as our deep guy. Idt it’s gonna be exactly like NE, but it wouldn’t shock me if it looked to be more like them.

You typed the word, "think". What you meant to type was "hope without any sort of basis".

Archived