Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There aren't 31 teams with a true #1 CB. 

So I would argue my point stands.  I think Adams is a better target than any NE WR to make up for the difference between Gronk and Graham.  I don’t think you can realistically point to their receiving targets and say they out class us in any real way.

1 minute ago, Blink said:

So I would argue my point stands.  I think Adams is a better target than any NE WR to make up for the difference between Gronk and Graham.  I don’t think you can realistically point to their receiving targets and say they out class us in any real way.

1. We shouldn't be trying to emulate the weakest unit on a weak team.

2. While I agree our targets are better than theirs all the way down the line, there's a lot to be said for having a genuine superstar to make the rest of the group look better. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. We shouldn't be trying to emulate the weakest unit on a weak team.

2. While I agree our targets are better than theirs all the way down the line, there's a lot to be said for having a genuine superstar to make the rest of the group look better. 

I guess I’m just trying to make the point that while we might not go as deep as we would like depth wise, the Finley era for example, but league wise we have a pretty good unit.

That being said I would agree that we are one bonafide starter away from what I would deem comfortable. As much as I thought Jordy had slowed down I have no confidence at all in Geronimo, and while I have high hopes for the rookies they are as of yet unknowns.

I'm gonna speak heresy.

I'm done with the Jordy stuff. He's gone. Not coming back and I'm not projecting him into the GBPs 2018 season with more "what if this / what if that" stuff. The what ifs are over. He's gone.

I'm glad we have Allison. A veteran presence and still a "growing" player IMO. Perhaps its the "dont kill off the underdog" in me. 

Speed kills in the NFL - but not entirely - not always. There are PLENTY of WRs getting meaninful snaps who arent tearing a$$ off the LOS or leaving DBs in their wake. Are they ProBowl players? No. They're contributors. How do they get there? How do they stay there? They refine there overall WRs skills: route running ; hand checking ; body positioning etc. All the "nuances" of pass catching that many WRs with superior innate talents dont pay attention to.

Allison could have a good career in the NFL. He has alot of good "receiving" skills. But - he has to find his niche and fight off speed. Enhance his overall and complete game to keep faster WRs - with similar (or better) receiving skills - from literally overtaking him.

I'm interested to see if he's evolved further as a player and what he brings to the mix of our WR competition.

"Joining a draft class of three total wide receivers and a 90-man roster that currently has 11 wide receivers, Moore will enter training camp this summer among a large group of receivers hoping to lock a spot on the team in 2018. 

While not posting a stellar 40-yard time at the combine, Moore shows great quickness with his three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle times being among the highest of all of the wide receivers at the NFL Combine.  His 21 reps on the bench press impressed as well and should translate well to handling press coverage on the line at the NFL level.

Through his college years, Moore showed great route running ability and this will definitely help him in earning the trust of Aaron Rodgers when he’s spinning spirals Moore’s way.  His downfall upon entering the draft was dropping the football at the college level.  During his junior season, Moore earned a spot on the bench during a game because of his drops

The skills and talent are definitely there for J’Mon Moore to succeed on this team.  Now it is up to him and the coaching staff to make it work"

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-profile-jmon-moore-150

17 hours ago, SSG said:

Realistically, how may late round picks develop into starters in their first year?  From the bottom of their class in regards to talent to NFL starter?  No one is writing them off but realistically speaking their chances of bombing out of the NFL  is monumentally higher than developing into a starter much less a starter as a rookie.  We made a similar investment last year into the same caliber of prospects and neither made the roster much less developed into a starter year 1.

Actually this is a apple/oranges comparison.  The two WRs from 2017 were not that talented. They were classic TT draft picks. This year's 3rd day WR picks were all bigger and more explosive. Moore and ESB dropped because of character question marks.  Those two are definitely more talented than last years picks.  I'm not mentioning MVS because I'm just not that familiar with him.  So, it is NOT a similar investment.  Gute is rolling the dice on higher risk/more talented options.  Throwing three picks at more talent increases the odds that one or two will turn out.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Speed kills in the NFL - but not entirely - not always.

Too true. Some players routinely get open with great craft, some get open vertically with great height, some with speed, some with power. There is more than one way to win.

"Since 2010, the Packers have kept only five receivers on the opening 53-man roster six times. The California product (Trevor Davis) has not grown as a skill position player as hoped over the course of his first two seasons, struggling to perfect the route-running and ball-tracking skills needed to compliment his ability to separate downfield. Though he has contributed in the return game, Davis is too often overshadowed by the slow progress he’s made in the passing game.  Although Davis’s calling card has been special teams play, it has been wildly inconsistent at times. Special teams alone might not be enough for Davis to earn a final roster spot in 2018, due in part to a pair of roster additions. While Davis is a relatively inexpensive piece on the Packers’ roster with two years left on his rookie contract, time may be running out for his potential to be realized in a green and gold uniform. The Packers waited out the development of Janis for four seasons in hopes that his receiving acumen would catch up to that of his special teams prowess. Although Janis made an impact as a gunner and filled in as a kickoff returner as needed during his tenure, he never became the all-around package in Green Bay. With other positions on the roster needing extra depth, especially on the defensive side of the ball, can the Packers afford to wait out another project in Davis?"

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/5/15/17354356/where-does-the-packers-sudden-influx-of-receivers-leave-trevor-davis

17 hours ago, Leader said:

I do? I didnt think I was that persuasive, but must be especially since I've hardly talked about Graham at all.

Clearly I need to step up appreciation of my own opinion :)

Not you specifically rather the overwhelming opinion around here. Some posters think we're getting a  90+ catch, 1200 yard and 16 TD Jimmy Graham and I just don't see it given how awful he looked last year. 

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Not you specifically rather the overwhelming opinion around here. Some posters think we're getting a  90+ catch, 1200 yard and 16 TD Jimmy Graham and I just don't see it given how awful he looked last year. 

Put the past behind you my friend. Relieve yourself the burden carrying that forward into the future. As they say: past performance isnt indicative of or guarantee future results.

Btw - does this mean that I'm actually not that persuasive? Hmmmmm......gonnna have to work on that :)

3 hours ago, SSG said:

I think those that think he's going to put up Jimmy Graham in NO-like numbers are few and far between.  I think most would be thrilled with something in between that and his production in Seattle.  Say 75/900/8 would be pretty darn good in my book.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
3 hours ago, SSG said:

I think those that think he's going to put up Jimmy Graham in NO-like numbers are few and far between.  I think most would be thrilled with something in between that and his production in Seattle.  Say 75/900/8 would be pretty darn good in my book.

It is less about the numbers Graham puts up but what his presence can mean for the offense as a whole.  If he is drawing coverage away from Adams, Cobb, Allison, RB's, etc that is as meaningful as him catching 80+ passes.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

It is less about the numbers Graham puts up but what his presence can mean for the offense as a whole.  If he is drawing coverage away from Adams, Cobb, Allison, RB's, etc that is as meaningful as him catching 80+ passes.

Agreed. Cutting Nelson and signing Graham was the best move of the off-season, in my opinion.  I just hope Aaron Rodgers can develop half the chemistry with Graham that he had with Nelson. 

Archived