Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

We all saw what happened to the Packers offence when Nelson got injured for the season. Adams was nowhere near ready to step up and the entire offence suffered for it. It didn't help we had no TE and a fat Lacy running against stacked boxes. The play action didnt work either. It was bad, really bad.

Now we face the very real scenario that if Adams get injured we won't have a no.2 ready to step up. The difference between this scenario and Nelson injury is that we now have a excellent TE and a better RB but the same issues will happen again with stacked boxes and the struggle to get the ball moving.

It sure would help to bring in Bryant for just 1 year. We would have a player with vast experience as a no.1 who can step up when needed if Adams suffer another injury. 1 year will give the rookies time to adjust to the NFL and learn the playbook and we may also get a compensatory pick by letting Bryant go. What not to like about that? The rookies will just simply face the same development path as Nelson and Jennings so we're not harming their development by bringing Bryant in.

If Adams gets injured a rookie will become the no.1, if Adams is injured and we have Bryant then a rookie becomes a no.2. Lets not overthink it just bring him in and then that's one less thing to worry about.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

We all saw what happened to the Packers offence when Nelson got injured for the season. Adams was nowhere near ready to step up and the entire offence suffered for it. It didn't help we had no TE and a fat Lacy running against stacked boxes. The play action didnt work either. It was bad, really bad.

Now we face the very real scenario that if Adams get injured we won't have a no.2 ready to step up. The difference between this scenario and Nelson injury is that we now have a excellent TE and a better RB but the same issues will happen again with stacked boxes and the struggle to get the ball moving.

It sure would help to bring in Bryant for just 1 year. We would have a player with vast experience as a no.1 who can step up when needed if Adams suffer another injury. 1 year will give the rookies time to adjust to the NFL and learn the playbook and we may also get a compensatory pick by letting Bryant go. What not to like about that? The rookies will just simply face the same development path as Nelson and Jennings so we're not harming their development by bringing Bryant in.

If Adams gets injured a rookie will become the no.1, if Adams is injured and we have Bryant then a rookie becomes a no.2. Lets not overthink it just bring him in and then that's one less thing to worry about.

Lacy was two years ago. Adams has come a long way since then. 

I agree with Chili. Adams has been concussion prone and could be lost to another concussion for who knows how long. Obtaining a veteran #2 WR is an imperative. But just not Dez. The discussion is focussed on Dez right now only because he happens to be without a team at the moment. After teams have had some OTAs and minicamps, and consequently have had a chance to evaluate their rosters, more veteran WRs will become available, either as cap casualties or through trades. Gute knows this and is waiting in the weeds. Patience, grasshopper. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Adams has been concussion prone and could be lost to another concussion for who knows how long.

Adams has had two concussions to my knowledge.  Both on illegal hits that got the players who hit him suspended.  Everybody in the NFL would be concussion prone if they were on the receiving end of those two (illegal) hits. 

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Adams has had two concussions to my knowledge.  Both on illegal hits that got the players who hit him suspended.  Everybody in the NFL would be concussion prone if they were on the receiving end of those two (illegal) hits. 

Yeah this is like saying that if on two freak occasions, a car veered off the road and slammed into you while walking your dog, you were suddenly getting-hit-by-a-car prone. 

6 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah this is like saying that if on two freak occasions, a car veered off the road and slammed into you while walking your dog, you were suddenly getting-hit-by-a-car prone. 

The thing about that is, freak accident or not, every concussion makes you more susceptible to the next. Regardless of how it happened, each one is a metaphorical crack in the armor.

18 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The thing about that is, freak accident or not, every concussion makes you more susceptible to the next. Regardless of how it happened, each one is a metaphorical crack in the armor.

In essence this is what happened with Sam Shields.  

Just now, Apex said:

In essence this is what happened with Sam Shields.  

Please don't remind me of how football beat the essence out of Shields' brain so bad that he has to rely on marijuana to live without a constant headache.

9 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Please don't remind me of how football beat the essence out of Shields' brain so bad that he has to rely on marijuana to live without a constant headache.

I don't know about that or what the best treatment options are but it should be a concern of all involved that D.A. has an increased risk of getting concussed.

Frank Bauer, told ESPN the Packers receiver was cleared by multiple neurologists when it came to the second concussion and he even talked to Adams just to be sure there wasn't any long-term concern with his health.

"He called me after the first one and said, 'Frank, I'm fine,'" Bauer said per Rob Demovsky of ESPN. "There's no long-term concern. I've talked to Davante quite a bit, and we've had everything checked out."

Great points by Chili. Well done.

I would also point out that we have a much deeper backfield now and a different approach to our running game compared to the Lacy years. When Lacy's weight was in check, he was very effective, but we couldn't find a back-up that could carry the load when he was injured and James Starks was banged up all during that time. We were hoping Jonathan Franklin would be that guy and he appeared to be the answer until....well....sad...

Anyway, I think our offense is now much more complex, multi-faceted, and developed than in previous years whereas if Adams were to go down, we'd have the luxury of exploring other options. We'd still have Cobb, Allison is another year older, Monty could flip back out to WR and perhaps one of these rookies could step up; who knows.

Does anyone know if Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday's OTAs will be public? (Which ones specifically, if any?)

Debating on driving over from Madison.

*DISREGARD*

Here's the link for anyone who wants to know the dates & times. http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Packers-begin-training-camp-July-26/750b9c82-5de7-4767-94a2-acc8a263bac1

On 5/18/2018 at 5:03 PM, ArthurPensky said:

Is it simply Clay " not having it anymore" or a also a ancient DC/ secondary personnel who couldn't do anything to stop the pass?

How fast do you want Clay to win? But because it’s not a sack and we can’t cover.. Clay Matthews has nothing left? GTFO pic.twitter.com/rPgiOZWR1o

— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) April 13, 2018

It's obvious Perry isn't durable, but the guy ran a 4.64 40,  38.5 in vertical, and a 124 in broad jump at 271 lbs . All tops for his position at the combine. Not explosive?? C'mon man.

No one in their right mind would disagree with drafting one or multiple EDGES early in 2019 if the EDGEs are bad in 2018... Let it play out first in 2018 is what a logical mind will say. If Biegel and Gilbert somehow turned into stud you gonna spend two 1st rounders on EDGE simply because of the position? No. Is that going to happen? Probably not, but its premature to advocate 2 2019 first rounders on any position right now.

Dude.  You pull a couple of clips.  Actually you found a couple of clips that someone else pulled.

That is not telling of Clay's overall game now compared to what it was when he was young.  Not.  Even.  Close.  

Can he get by?  Yes.  Can he win?  Yes.  But not like he did when he was younger and more explosive.

If Biegle and/or Gilbert were "studs" they would have stolen snaps last year.  If they were, GB would not have signed a one year stopgap in Brooks.  And while I hold out hope for both of them, expecting them to be blue chippers on the edge, for the future, is a very iffy proposition.  And this team needs an edge threat for the future.

K.  Noted.  You are against first rounders in 2019 at EDGE.  You are now on record.  GB is set at the future there with Biegle, Gilbert and Fackrell.  

On 5/19/2018 at 11:15 AM, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get being skeptical or pessimistic about our chances but we're a year removed from consistent 10 wins seasons, and last year we won 7 games despite missing Rodgers missing most of the season.  Hell, Brett Hundley won 3 games as the starting QB.  Last year, Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams had a combined 234 rushing attempts for 1004 rushing yards and 8 rushing TD.  If those numbers were by a single back, we'd have a RB who was 13th in rushing attempts, 10th in rushing yards, and T-6th in rushing TD.  RB success is pretty safe to translate all things considered, so I don't really see RB as a need or an issue quite frankly.  As I've mentioned before, most team's #3 WR aren't very good and they certainly don't pay them very much.  Don't let the abundance of riches that we've had at WR over the years cloud your judgement.  As I've mentioned, Geronimo Allison compares similar to other teams' #3 WRs in terms of level of commitment.  OL shouldn't be a level of concern given how they played last year despite missing Bryan Bulaga at RT.

Defensively, this is probably the deepest our DL group has been since we ran a 43 defense and had several DTs who rotated in to play.  We've committed more to the ILB position than we've ever committed to under TT, and you've got some good athletes to play there now.  Our EDGE are a bit of a concern in terms of depth.  And we've thrown two high picks at CB again, players who are naturally corners not transitioning corners.  As for safety, I get the level of comfort with Burnett, but his injury concerns and his age are weighing against him.  We might have some growing pains with Josh Jones early, but I have little doubt we're better with him moving forward.

Let me ask you these questions...answer honestly.

Over the last 5 years, is this the worst group of WR's that GB has had?  (Knowing full well that Rodgers will make these guys look better than they are...and that's a huge positive...)

Over the last 5 years, is this the worst offensive line group that GB has fielded?  (This one worries me greatly, our QB is coming off a serious shoulder injury and has an extreme tendency to hold onto the ball.)

Over the last 5 years, is this the worst edge group that GB has had?  (Missing that veteran presence and the young guy with extreme upside presence.)

I've said the DL is better than it has been in a while.  (I"m not down on Mo, but I am higher on the development of Clark.)

I like the MLB's.  (Martinez is one of my favorites now. )

Secondary is a concern, including safety.  But, there is room for optimism there.  Rookies come with growing pains and given how little King played last year, our secondary will be young.

RB in the NFL doesn't matter much.  You like the 2 RB's...I'm good with them too.  I have injury concerns with Jones and Williams lacks vision.  And what he lacks in vision, he makes up for with toughness and physicality.

Better at TE.  (Alleviates concern from WR group.)

But if you look at this squad, today, compared to the last 5-7 years worth of teams, this one is weaker and with many more question marks.  And to be totally fair?  I thought that GB was knocking on the door to a Super Bowl the last 5 years or so...especially the last 2-3 years.  So, my point here isn't that the team is poor.  Far from it.  It just isn't as good, today, as it has been in past years at this time.

Archived