Packerraymond

Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

We all saw what happened to the Packers offence when Nelson got injured for the season. Adams was nowhere near ready to step up and the entire offence suffered for it. It didn't help we had no TE and a fat Lacy running against stacked boxes. The play action didnt work either. It was bad, really bad.

Now we face the very real scenario that if Adams get injured we won't have a no.2 ready to step up. The difference between this scenario and Nelson injury is that we now have a excellent TE and a better RB but the same issues will happen again with stacked boxes and the struggle to get the ball moving.

It sure would help to bring in Bryant for just 1 year. We would have a player with vast experience as a no.1 who can step up when needed if Adams suffer another injury. 1 year will give the rookies time to adjust to the NFL and learn the playbook and we may also get a compensatory pick by letting Bryant go. What not to like about that? The rookies will just simply face the same development path as Nelson and Jennings so we're not harming their development by bringing Bryant in.

If Adams gets injured a rookie will become the no.1, if Adams is injured and we have Bryant then a rookie becomes a no.2. Lets not overthink it just bring him in and then that's one less thing to worry about.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Chili said:

We all saw what happened to the Packers offence when Nelson got injured for the season. Adams was nowhere near ready to step up and the entire offence suffered for it. It didn't help we had no TE and a fat Lacy running against stacked boxes. The play action didnt work either. It was bad, really bad.

Now we face the very real scenario that if Adams get injured we won't have a no.2 ready to step up. The difference between this scenario and Nelson injury is that we now have a excellent TE and a better RB but the same issues will happen again with stacked boxes and the struggle to get the ball moving.

It sure would help to bring in Bryant for just 1 year. We would have a player with vast experience as a no.1 who can step up when needed if Adams suffer another injury. 1 year will give the rookies time to adjust to the NFL and learn the playbook and we may also get a compensatory pick by letting Bryant go. What not to like about that? The rookies will just simply face the same development path as Nelson and Jennings so we're not harming their development by bringing Bryant in.

If Adams gets injured a rookie will become the no.1, if Adams is injured and we have Bryant then a rookie becomes a no.2. Lets not overthink it just bring him in and then that's one less thing to worry about.

Lacy was two years ago. Adams has come a long way since then. 

58 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Lacy was two years ago. Adams has come a long way since then. 

You completely misunderstood the point I was trying to make xD

I agree with Chili. Adams has been concussion prone and could be lost to another concussion for who knows how long. Obtaining a veteran #2 WR is an imperative. But just not Dez. The discussion is focussed on Dez right now only because he happens to be without a team at the moment. After teams have had some OTAs and minicamps, and consequently have had a chance to evaluate their rosters, more veteran WRs will become available, either as cap casualties or through trades. Gute knows this and is waiting in the weeds. Patience, grasshopper. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Adams has been concussion prone and could be lost to another concussion for who knows how long.

Adams has had two concussions to my knowledge.  Both on illegal hits that got the players who hit him suspended.  Everybody in the NFL would be concussion prone if they were on the receiving end of those two (illegal) hits. 

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Adams has had two concussions to my knowledge.  Both on illegal hits that got the players who hit him suspended.  Everybody in the NFL would be concussion prone if they were on the receiving end of those two (illegal) hits. 

Yeah this is like saying that if on two freak occasions, a car veered off the road and slammed into you while walking your dog, you were suddenly getting-hit-by-a-car prone. 

6 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah this is like saying that if on two freak occasions, a car veered off the road and slammed into you while walking your dog, you were suddenly getting-hit-by-a-car prone. 

The thing about that is, freak accident or not, every concussion makes you more susceptible to the next. Regardless of how it happened, each one is a metaphorical crack in the armor.

18 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

The thing about that is, freak accident or not, every concussion makes you more susceptible to the next. Regardless of how it happened, each one is a metaphorical crack in the armor.

In essence this is what happened with Sam Shields.  

Just now, Apex said:

In essence this is what happened with Sam Shields.  

Please don't remind me of how football beat the essence out of Shields' brain so bad that he has to rely on marijuana to live without a constant headache.

9 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Please don't remind me of how football beat the essence out of Shields' brain so bad that he has to rely on marijuana to live without a constant headache.

I don't know about that or what the best treatment options are but it should be a concern of all involved that D.A. has an increased risk of getting concussed.

Frank Bauer, told ESPN the Packers receiver was cleared by multiple neurologists when it came to the second concussion and he even talked to Adams just to be sure there wasn't any long-term concern with his health.

"He called me after the first one and said, 'Frank, I'm fine,'" Bauer said per Rob Demovsky of ESPN. "There's no long-term concern. I've talked to Davante quite a bit, and we've had everything checked out."

Great points by Chili. Well done.

I would also point out that we have a much deeper backfield now and a different approach to our running game compared to the Lacy years. When Lacy's weight was in check, he was very effective, but we couldn't find a back-up that could carry the load when he was injured and James Starks was banged up all during that time. We were hoping Jonathan Franklin would be that guy and he appeared to be the answer until....well....sad...

Anyway, I think our offense is now much more complex, multi-faceted, and developed than in previous years whereas if Adams were to go down, we'd have the luxury of exploring other options. We'd still have Cobb, Allison is another year older, Monty could flip back out to WR and perhaps one of these rookies could step up; who knows.

Does anyone know if Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday's OTAs will be public? (Which ones specifically, if any?)

Debating on driving over from Madison.

*DISREGARD*

Here's the link for anyone who wants to know the dates & times. http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Packers-begin-training-camp-July-26/750b9c82-5de7-4767-94a2-acc8a263bac1

Edited by Csraverage