Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

See, you're not counting Graham because he was going to be on the field regardless of what happens at WR.

Yes but generally TE and WRs are interchangeable. If you add a TE you subtract a WR. For the purpose of who is going to get snaps its very relevant that we have a TE that is always going to be on the field during passing downs. That means that #4 and #5 WR probably are not going to see the field often if at all unless injuries occur. 

14 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Yes but generally TE and WRs are interchangeable. If you add a TE you subtract a WR. For the purpose of who is going to get snaps its very relevant that we have a TE that is always going to be on the field during passing downs. That means that #4 and #5 WR probably are not going to see the field often if at all unless injuries occur. 

That's pretty common in McCarthy's recent endeavors into offense. There's always been such a fuss about our WR4 over the last few years, but by the start of the season, Adams/Nelson/Cobb dominated the snaps. Back in the Philbin days the Packers utilized lots of "Big 5" and five WR sets. It is possible they'll hearken back to that a bit now moving forward, but that'll likely be determined by how well the rookies perform.  

11 minutes ago, Ham Sammich said:

That's pretty common in McCarthy's recent endeavors into offense. There's always been such a fuss about our WR4 over the last few years, but by the start of the season, Adams/Nelson/Cobb dominated the snaps. Back in the Philbin days the Packers utilized lots of "Big 5" and five WR sets. It is possible they'll hearken back to that a bit now moving forward, but that'll likely be determined by how well the rookies perform.  

Exactly why no one should get bent out of shape about our #4 #5 WRs. 

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd hardly say I'm offended by the statement, it just appears that you're focusing on a handful of positions and projecting them onto the franchise as a whole.  If you wanna argue that WR and OL are worse than they were in previous years, that's fine.  But you better be willing to argue other positions (namely DL and LB) as a whole look better than previous years.  We've got our issues, mostly depth at EDGE and youth in our defensive backfield.  But this isn't a team that's suddenly going to fail to be competitive.

Okay, so I've stated all of that.  DL is significantly better.  I believe I phrased it as "up the middle is much better".  Professed my love of Martinez.

Even stated that I thought the past rosters were Super Bowl quality.  It just isn't that way this year.

Never said the roster wouldn't be competitive.  Not at all.

Simply saying that at this point and time, I'm not as optimistic about this team as I"ve been about our past teams.

But..I am cautiously optimistic about that young secondary.  That's going to be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Exactly why no one should get bent out of shape about our #4 #5 WRs. 

Not bent out of shape, but I hope that two of our rookies progress rapidly so they can be meaningful guys next year.

We have a void at WR right now in that developmental phase.  We usually have a guy or two that is ascending.  Maybe that is Davis, I think Allison is what he is, Clark is a project.  We just haven't hit on a WR for a while, Adams.  Which is too bad, I had high hopes for Abby and Janis from that class as well.  Was thinking two of them would stick.

Now, I'm hoping that two of those rookies can stick and progress through the system.  Hard not to be excited about the size/speed combos that they all have.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not bent out of shape, but I hope that two of our rookies progress rapidly so they can be meaningful guys next year.

We have a void at WR right now in that developmental phase.  We usually have a guy or two that is ascending.  Maybe that is Davis, I think Allison is what he is, Clark is a project.  We just haven't hit on a WR for a while, Adams.  Which is too bad, I had high hopes for Abby and Janis from that class as well.  Was thinking two of them would stick.

Now, I'm hoping that two of those rookies can stick and progress through the system.  Hard not to be excited about the size/speed combos that they all have.

It's the nature of fans. 

The Rams add Suh, Peters, and Talib, and their fans are scared and worried about their edge and linebackers. 

The Eagles have probably the best roster in the NFL and now theyre worried about LBers because Kendricks and Worrilow are gone. 

It's impossible to be set at every position now and for the future. I'm not terrible worried because our issues (at least on the surface level) are depth issues. EDGE, WR, IOL depth. The starters are average or above average. 

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

It's the nature of fans. 

The Rams add Suh, Peters, and Talib, and their fans are scared and worried about their edge and linebackers. 

The Eagles have probably the best roster in the NFL and now theyre worried about LBers because Kendricks and Worrilow are gone. 

It's impossible to be set at every position now and for the future. I'm not terrible worried because our issues (at least on the surface level) are depth issues. EDGE, WR, IOL depth. The starters are average or above average. 

Very good points.

I"m not terribly worried either, just pointing out that the roster this year isn't as good as it has been in past years.

I can take that a step farther, too.  You state it is impossible to be set at every position..I agree.  You also need to be set a QB, clearly GB is...and they will win games because of it.  But, if they want to be great, well, they need some young kids to seriously step it up, because the 2015 draft class isn't going to cut it.  Puts more pressure on guys like King/Jones/Williams/Jones and to some extent Alexander and Jackson.

I very much liked the move of getting quality vets at corner in case the young kids aren't up to the challenge.  Seeing as how GB didn't really address the o-line, they must have confidence in McCray (whom I like), Spriggs, Murphy, Patrick (whom I like) and they must feel pretty good about Bulaga's health.  Still, I wouldn't hate a veteran tackle brought in for insurance purposes.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Very good points.

I"m not terribly worried either, just pointing out that the roster this year isn't as good as it has been in past years.

I can take that a step farther, too.  You state it is impossible to be set at every position..I agree.  You also need to be set a QB, clearly GB is...and they will win games because of it.  But, if they want to be great, well, they need some young kids to seriously step it up, because the 2015 draft class isn't going to cut it.  Puts more pressure on guys like King/Jones/Williams/Jones and to some extent Alexander and Jackson.

I very much liked the move of getting quality vets at corner in case the young kids aren't up to the challenge.  Seeing as how GB didn't really address the o-line, they must have confidence in McCray (whom I like), Spriggs, Murphy, Patrick (whom I like) and they must feel pretty good about Bulaga's health.  Still, I wouldn't hate a veteran tackle brought in for insurance purposes.

I have no issue with Bulaga for 2018. I think he'll be fine, and good. Lane, Linsley, and [RG starter} individually aren't great, but I trust Campen and trust the tackles who never get help, which makes the interior's job easier as more of a unit. 

I think the roster we have right now is better than last year at this point. 

3 hours ago, Ham Sammich said:

It is possible they'll hearken back to that a bit now moving forward, but that'll likely be determined by how well the rookies perform.  

It's been years since we have done any hearkening in Green Bay. I'm getting excited.

From local radio about who really stood out at OA yesterday. Biegel looked to be in incredible shape with a great first step.

Yet Clay thinks we needed more depth, so there you go.

3 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

It's been years since we have done any hearkening in Green Bay. I'm getting excited.

From local radio about who really stood out at OA yesterday. Biegel looked to be in incredible shape with a great first step.

Yet Clay thinks we needed more depth, so there you go.

CM saw Biegel's "incredible shape" and thought it time to throw some shade his way...........

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

It's the nature of fans. 

I think it comes down to health and development.  For a D&D organization we haven't had enough development recently.

From our 2015-2017 drafts these are left:

Quinten Rollins

DB

Miami (OH)

Ty Montgomery

WR

Stanford

Jake Ryan

LB

Michigan

Brett Hundley

QB

UCLA

Aaron Ripkowski

FB

Oklahoma

Out of the five picks remaining I don't see one of them that isn't in danger of being cut if the don't UP their game. Ryan, Monty and Rip are just a little safer than the other two, but Monty has to stay healthy or what's the use in keeping him around?  Is there a chance he would move back to WR?

Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA

Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah State

Blake Martinez, ILB, Stanford

Dean Lowry, DE, Northwestern

Trevor Davis, WR, California

Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford

Clark seems to be on the verge of something special. Martinez is the best ILB on the team.  The rest need to step up in the crucial third year arc. Spriggs, Fack, Davis and Murphy are facing dire consequences if they don't step up NOW.  If they do? Then our depth questions are answered and the roster looks better.  Davis (WR6) and Fack (ER5) won't be starters, but they could play important roles on STs

CB Kevin King, Washington

S Josh Jones, NC State

DT Montravius Adams, Auburn

OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin

RB Jamaal Williams, BYU

WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue

RB Aaron Jones, UTEP

OL Kofi Amichia, USF

Adams and Biegel are key for the pass rush. One or both need to contribute now. Yancey needs to surprise, but I think he's gone.  Amichia was horrible last year, but his SPARQ numbers were awesome.  Can he compete at IOL?

These are all TTs picks and don't have his roster protection going for them anymore.  If even half of these 20 guys take a step up things look better.  Sometimes it seems like we expect other teams picks to always improve while we spend our time deciding that our picks suck.  Sorry, but I think Campen, Philbin and Pettine will have a positive effect with what they have to work with and along with a little luck??

Out of that list you posted @Dubz41, We really should throw out 2015 at this point. I think it's safe to say that Ryan and Rip have solidified their roles on the team, both Rollins and Hundley are early cuts so they get a chance to latch onto another team, and Monty will almost HAVE to move back to WR at this point if he's to remain on the team. Perhaps he could be a RS? As for 2016, Trevor Davis is done and there's no question about that IMHO. The rest of the guys, as you said, have a year to prove it essentially. As I stated in other threads a couple weeks ago, I'm convinced this year is an evaluation of our talent at EDGE and both Fackrell and Biegel are on notice. They didn't exactly go out and make an investment in the draft, they didn't make a play at any EDGE FA's as well, and the guy they DID draft to play EDGE is a project player who will be on the practice squad. Amichia is a project and I suspect Yancey will be as well, but not with the same depth of investment that has been invested in Amichia. I think it's best to give him time.

On 5/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, Joe said:

...and Monty will almost HAVE to move back to WR at this point if he's to remain on the team. ....

Disagree.  Monty has an obvious and relatively easy roster spot as one of the three backs.  And it's entirely possible that he'll get a lot of snaps, perhaps 2nd-most and possibly even first.  It's also possible that he'll start.  And, that he'll be good.  Good line, good QB, good health, he might be pretty good.  

If only he could block better.....

Archived