Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

On 5/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, Joe said:

Out of that list you posted @Dubz41, We really should throw out 2015 at this point. I think it's safe to say that Ryan and Rip have solidified their roles on the team, both Rollins and Hundley are early cuts so they get a chance to latch onto another team, and Monty will almost HAVE to move back to WR at this point if he's to remain on the team. Perhaps he could be a RS? As for 2016, Trevor Davis is done and there's no question about that IMHO. The rest of the guys, as you said, have a year to prove it essentially. As I stated in other threads a couple weeks ago, I'm convinced this year is an evaluation of our talent at EDGE and both Fackrell and Biegel are on notice. They didn't exactly go out and make an investment in the draft, they didn't make a play at any EDGE FA's as well, and the guy they DID draft to play EDGE is a project player who will be on the practice squad. Amichia is a project and I suspect Yancey will be as well, but not with the same depth of investment that has been invested in Amichia. I think it's best to give him time.

I've not been clued in on the details of this discussion and dont like cherry picking something which I may have out of context - but the emboldened statement - are you referring to #88 needing to move to WR this year (?) or be cut? If so, I'm not seeing that.  Why would we want to cut him this year?

27 minutes ago, craig said:

Disagree.  Monty has an obvious and relatively easy roster spot as one of the three backs.  And it's entirely possible that he'll get a lot of snaps, perhaps 2nd-most and possibly even first.  It's also possible that he'll start.  And, that he'll be good.  Good line, good QB, good health, he might be pretty good.  

If only he could block better.....

Except that he is hurt all the time.  He hasn't given any reason to think he can hold up at RB.  It's too bad he bulked up so much, but with the lack of experience at WR I don't think MM can ignore thinking about Monty filling in there. 

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Except that he is hurt all the time.  He hasn't given any reason to think he can hold up at RB.  It's too bad he bulked up so much, but with the lack of experience at WR I don't think MM can ignore thinking about Monty filling in there. 

Could a slimmed down Monty become the #2 WR we so desperately need?

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Could a slimmed down Monty become the #2 WR we so desperately need?

No, and to be honest it’s not even worth having a conversation about.  He’s going to remain at RB given the two rookies haven’t proven to be able to adequately carry the load for an entire year.

Even if he gets more reps in the passing game it won’t be as a traditional boundary WR, end of conversation.

I think ideally you have someone solid filling in the RB slot and Monty bounces around the offense between RB, HB and slot. Gives you a ton of flexibility with Adams, Cobb, Graham, Lewis, Monty in a no-huddle. You can run anything from I to 2-tight to 5-wide, while keeping the defense from substituting.

For me, the writing is on the wall for Montgomery. He is in the last year of his deal and can't stay on the field. We have a bunch of talented RB's and I expect the competition at WR to be pretty strong. Monty is in no mans land and you have to wonder if he is worth a roster spot

Ty will have to earn it like everyone else, but I get the feeling both McCarthy and Rodgers really like having him on the field and see him as a valuable, versatile weapon. The only concern, and it's a valid one, is his availability. So IMO the only way he gets cut is if they feel like they can't rely on him to stay healthy.

41 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Ty will have to earn it like everyone else, but I get the feeling both McCarthy and Rodgers really like having him on the field and see him as a valuable, versatile weapon. The only concern, and it's a valid one, is his availability. So IMO the only way he gets cut is if they feel like they can't rely on him to stay healthy.

Agree with this - but I see no occasion he gets cut cause I see no upside to the roster at this point.
Is Mayes (or some other RB coming to TC) gonna come on like gang busters? Who knows - but probably not enough to cut 88.

21 hours ago, craig said:

Disagree.  Monty has an obvious and relatively easy roster spot as one of the three backs.  And it's entirely possible that he'll get a lot of snaps, perhaps 2nd-most and possibly even first.  It's also possible that he'll start.  And, that he'll be good.  Good line, good QB, good health, he might be pretty good.  

If only he could block better.....

Well, as I about to say to @Leader, Monty's issue is durability. He's been injury prone his entire time in Green Bay and has been far better as a WR than as a RB. As I've said before and I'll say it again, I think he'll be used in a variety of roles as both a RB and WR, but if they pigeon-hole him into just being a RB, the two 2nd year guys(if healthy of course) will knock him down the depth chart at best. Jamaal Williams is going to have a breakout year this year or next. Aaron Jones has proven that he can be a bellcow back IMHO. We have a logjam at WR2 and WR3. It would behoove the team to consider moving Monty back to WR; at least on paper.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

For me, the writing is on the wall for Montgomery. He is in the last year of his deal and can't stay on the field. We have a bunch of talented RB's and I expect the competition at WR to be pretty strong. Monty is in no mans land and you have to wonder if he is worth a roster spot

A creative coach/OC gets a lot of Monty. No reason to let a guy like that go and keep a turd like Devante Mays around. We need to use our backs like NE does and Monty fits that role perfectly. Keep him healthy by not giving him many carries between the tackles -- leave that to Jones and Williams. Use Monty to create matchup problems and put the ball in his hands with space, especially in the passing game. 

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well, as I about to say to @Leader, Monty's issue is durability. He's been injury prone his entire time in Green Bay and has been far better as a WR than as a RB. As I've said before and I'll say it again, I think he'll be used in a variety of roles as both a RB and WR, but if they pigeon-hole him into just being a RB, the two 2nd year guys(if healthy of course) will knock him down the depth chart at best. Jamaal Williams is going to have a breakout year this year or next. Aaron Jones has proven that he can be a bellcow back IMHO. We have a logjam at WR2 and WR3. It would behoove the team to consider moving Monty back to WR; at least on paper.

No question 88 has had problems staying on the field. No doubt - but he's not cutting material IMO - again - unless somebody comes out of left field to make him expendable - but he better make a damn good case cause I see no reason to cut 88 at this point.

How he gets used - I leave that up to the coaches. I'm not writing the playbook for them. The guys got skills we can make use of - at a number of positions. A good guy to have around IMO.

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

I cant be the only one to think that we are far from knowing if any of the young guys are “seriously talented”.

Jones looked real good but was derailed by injuries

Williams had some impressive power runs, but overall had a poor YPC and has a lot to prove.

Mays fumbled immediately and never saw the field

Monty is good when healthy and has some return experience if I remember correctly.  I really don’t understand how anyone at this point could justify keeping Mays over Ty

Archived