Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Zach Kruze:

An interesting potential benefit of Jimmy Graham/Marcedes Lewis: Packers can be in 2 TE sets and 3 WR sets at the same exact time. Could provide diversity while remaining traditional.

McCarthy has already committed to moving Graham around. Anticipate he'll get plenty of snaps in traditional WR positions. Lewis then operates as the traditional inline TE. So the 2 TE set transforms into the 3 WR set, just like that. Interchangeable.

I think there was a hint of that possibility with Bennett/Kendricks last season, but Graham/Lewis should be a better fit in terms of moving in and out of 2 TE and 3 WR looks.

23 minutes ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruze:

An interesting potential benefit of Jimmy Graham/Marcedes Lewis: Packers can be in 2 TE sets and 3 WR sets at the same exact time. Could provide diversity while remaining traditional.

McCarthy has already committed to moving Graham around. Anticipate he'll get plenty of snaps in traditional WR positions. Lewis then operates as the traditional inline TE. So the 2 TE set transforms into the 3 WR set, just like that. Interchangeable.

I think there was a hint of that possibility with Bennett/Kendricks last season, but Graham/Lewis should be a better fit in terms of moving in and out of 2 TE and 3 WR looks.

and with Lewis giving us a physical receiving option, we can run several plays out of that set where Lewis can chip the DE and release over the middle on a slant route with a favorable match-up. Low hanging fruit my friend...

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Zach Kruze:

Combine that with Montgomery's ability to go from the backfield to WR, we have the flexibility to run a two TE set up to a 5 receiver pattern out of the same personnel. 

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Combine that with Montgomery's ability to go from the backfield to WR, we have the flexibility to run a two set up to a 5 receiver pattern out of the same personnel. 

That too crossed my mind. Both McCarthy and Monty have said that Monty will be used in many roles this season.

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

For the 7-8 games Monty is available.

Packers just need to be smart about his use.

Looking at the list of leading running backs last year leads me to believe that teams just can't count on backs being available- Le'Veon Bell has one complete season in 5 years, Todd Gurley one in three years, LeSean McCoy 3 in the last 9, Mark Ingram 3 out of 7,  Melvin gordon 1 out of 3.  

That is why I like the running back by committee- by not counting on one guy injuries have less affect on the offense.  I would use Montgomery in situations where the ability to displace him causes the defense problems, and let Williams and Jones work when a more standard back is called for.

With the inability to count on a top back to be available, I have to wonder if that is yet another reason the NFL has become a quarterback driven passing league.

Speaking of Packer RBs:

Here's RB Aaron Jones sharing a story via Packers Wire

"In a recent interview, Aaron Jones recalled what Aaron Rodgers told him as he entered the huddle for the first time in a regular season game last season.

“My first game in against Chicago, Jamaal (Williams) and Ty (Montgomery) went down, and I run into the huddle, and he’s like, ‘I want you to know, I’m probably one of your biggest fans in this organization, so if you want to make a statement, now is your time,'”

On 6/5/2018 at 4:47 PM, Spartacus said:

Frankly I don't really care till training camp. All I care about without pads is health of the players. 

Yes, but isn't it during these OTA's and mini-camps when the offenses and defenses the coaches want to implement are being taught to the players, especially on the defensive side of the ball with a new DC?  I'm sure Philbin is installing new offensive wrinkles too.  Most of the offensive players on the team today were not around when Joe was here before.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Yes, but isn't it during these OTA's and mini-camps when the offenses and defenses the coaches want to implement are being taught to the players, especially on the defensive side of the ball with a new DC?  I'm sure Philbin is installing new offensive wrinkles too.  Most of the offensive players on the team today were not around when Joe was here before.

No doubt. I think he's just being cautious about when you hear guys being hyped around now.

23 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Combine that with Montgomery's ability to go from the backfield to WR, we have the flexibility to run a two TE set up to a 5 receiver pattern out of the same personnel. 

At this point, I'll believe it when I see it. Other than 6 screen plays a season, MM and or Rodgers have been content with playing things straight up and have the RB block. MM and Philbin need to catch up to the rest of the NFL with regard to this

21 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Packers just need to be smart about his use.

Looking at the list of leading running backs last year leads me to believe that teams just can't count on backs being available- Le'Veon Bell has one complete season in 5 years, Todd Gurley one in three years, LeSean McCoy 3 in the last 9, Mark Ingram 3 out of 7,  Melvin gordon 1 out of 3.  

That is why I like the running back by committee- by not counting on one guy injuries have less affect on the offense.  I would use Montgomery in situations where the ability to displace him causes the defense problems, and let Williams and Jones work when a more standard back is called for.

With the inability to count on a top back to be available, I have to wonder if that is yet another reason the NFL has become a quarterback driven passing league.

I like Monty,  but the guy was hurt when he played WR too. I think he's just injury prone.

Archived