Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Moretti's Prediction:

- Beigel will become a reliable player, I estimate 6 sacks this year.

- Herb Waters makes the team and is the surprise corner back of the group.

- Equ St Brown proves to be the best reciever outside of Davante and Cobb.

***** My biggest hope****

Philbin commits to the run game. Honestly thought our defense played well last year but the offense kept getting three and outs and the defense was on the field 70 percent of the game. I predict a lot more shotgun run plays up the middle and a more clock oriented gameplan.

1 hour ago, moretti19 said:

Moretti's Prediction:

- Beigel will become a reliable player, I estimate 6 sacks this year.

- Herb Waters makes the team and is the surprise corner back of the group.

- Equ St Brown proves to be the best reciever outside of Davante and Cobb.

***** My biggest hope****

Philbin commits to the run game. Honestly thought our defense played well last year but the offense kept getting three and outs and the defense was on the field 70 percent of the game. I predict a lot more shotgun run plays up the middle and a more clock oriented gameplan.

I think this should read *Rodgers* commits to the run game. I definitely agree to an extent, as evidenced by Aaron Jones' game against the Cowboys but it's up to what Rodgers does at the line. 

packers.com with a piece on Jason Spriggs and his offseason of getting bigger

https://www.packers.com/news/jason-spriggs-settling-in-with-increased-size-strength

"...So he established a plan with Packers director of performance nutrition Adam Korzun and the strength and conditioning staff to add more weight to his 6-foot-6 frame. The regimen called for Spriggs to eat. A lot.

“I would wake up, have a mini-breakfast, go back to sleep, and come in here,” Spriggs explained after minicamp practice Tuesday. “Have breakfast here, lift, workout, lunch and then it’s snack and a meal before dinner, then it’s dinner and then a snack before bed. It’s just spreading things out throughout the day and keeping your body working.”

Spriggs’ motivation was two-fold – he wanted to be more of a force in the run game and stouter against bull rushes off the edge. Spriggs estimates his weight is hovering around 320 pounds (he was listed at 301 last season)."

more from packers.com

“The team reps, the ‘move the ball,’ the situational work, we want to max that out today and tomorrow,” Head Coach Mike McCarthy said prior to Wednesday’s practice. The full 11-on-11 work is also designed to work on substitution patterns, helping to get ready for games. These spring simulations also help the new coaches on staff smooth out the communication process.

“It’s built into the practice structure,” McCarthy said. “We’ll have two ‘move the ball’ periods tomorrow, so we’ll see the mechanics of the substitutions. Situational football is part of how you train.”

Love Joe Whitt pressers.  Way more impressive than Winston Moss.  Moss must have just given up or something because I don't see how another team could get excited about hiring that guy for a coordinator or head coaching job based on how he's interacting with the public, especially compared to someone like Whitt.

BTW:

Where the heck is @deltarich87     with his timely twitter updates from mini-camp ? 

"Joe Whitt Jr. on rookie CB Josh Jackson: He's constantly in that meeting room. He studies as much as any rookie we've ever had. When he makes a mistake, he doesn't make that same mistake again. I've been very pleased with him"

Whitt on the potential of his cornerbacks:

"We'll see. It really matters once we get to game day. We haven't played very well the last two years."

On Alexander:

“He’s a good kid. I think he’s doing a nice job. He’s a confident kid but he’s not a cocky kid. I was somewhat worried about, is he going to be cocky? But he’s not cocky. You want real confidence out there, and I think he’s a real tough kid.”

Anyone think this is a shot at DR? 99% sure Whitt didn't have Dam on his mind but mayyybe.

57 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

On Alexander:

“He’s a good kid. I think he’s doing a nice job. He’s a confident kid but he’s not a cocky kid. I was somewhat worried about, is he going to be cocky? But he’s not cocky. You want real confidence out there, and I think he’s a real tough kid.”

Anyone think this is a shot at DR? 99% sure Whitt didn't have Dam on his mind but mayyybe.

Highly doubt that Whitt is taking a shot at DR.  Randall is gone and traded to CLE 3+ months ago.  Time to move on.  If the coaches are still taking shots at a player that is long gone from GB, then there might be bigger issues with the coaching staff.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Highly doubt that Whitt is taking a shot at DR.  Randall is gone and traded to CLE 3+ months ago.  Time to move on.  If the coaches are still taking shots at a player that is long gone from GB, then there might be bigger issues with the coaching staff.

"Shots" may be too strong a word. More or less describing what went wrong with the previous group. Indirect fire. He goes on to say we had plenty of talent the last few years but we couldn't put it together on the field. But yeah, you're probably right. It's June and I'm bored. 

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

On Alexander:

Doesn't sound like it.  I mean, we all know that Jaire isn't afraid to run his mouth.  That can rub people the wrong way.

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

BTW:

Where the heck is @deltarich87     with his timely twitter updates from mini-camp ? 

"Joe Whitt Jr. on rookie CB Josh Jackson: He's constantly in that meeting room. He studies as much as any rookie we've ever had. When he makes a mistake, he doesn't make that same mistake again. I've been very pleased with him"

Whitt on the potential of his cornerbacks:

"We'll see. It really matters once we get to game day. We haven't played very well the last two years."

I've been around, just kind of putting football on the back burner since the draft(as far as posting).

Archived