Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Randall looks slimmer to me

Both weighed in at 196 at the combine.

Randall is 5'10-7/8

Alexander is 5'10-1/4

And I guarantee you that Randall is heavier now than he was as a rookie. We did not get bigger in the slot this year. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Randall is 5'10-7/8

Alexander is 5'10-1/4

And I guarantee you that Randall is heavier now than he was as a rookie. We did not get bigger in the slot this year. 

Could of sworn i saw he was 10 pounds heavier before, nvm. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Randall is 5'10-7/8

Alexander is 5'10-1/4

Especially not with the new line of jerseys they're wearing - which are very slimming. The lineman all love the look :)

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Where did I say anything about him not playing man?

He can't press or pedal. That's fine, let him turn and bail. I have no problem with them having him try and fail now. My point was that the past staff would have him play that way during the season too. If he doesn't get it, fine, he can perform just fine bailing.

Any chance we can teach him press well enough for the ol bump n bail?

5 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Any chance we can teach him press well enough for the ol bump n bail?

I just don't see a reason to, let him be what he is. When you press your eyes are on the WR, when you bail they're on the QB. If you didn't draft Josh Jackson to take the ball away, you're not a good scouting department.

15 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Lots of Love for Gilbert from McCarthy, hopefully he'll get a lot of snaps this year, looked great last year.

With OLB being the biggest concern on the roster for me, this is excellent news regarding Reggie.

Between a hopefully healthy and contributing Biegel, Gilbert getting a fair shot this season, no more pressure to play Fackrell, and a better DC, perhaps the position is already upgraded.

Would still love to see Gute add a veteran, however.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I just don't see a reason to, let him be what he is. When you press your eyes are on the WR, when you bail they're on the QB. If you didn't draft Josh Jackson to take the ball away, you're not a good scouting department.

IMO deciding what a rookie for sure is and isn’t for their entire career before their first training camp even begins is a terrible coaching staff.

There’s countless examples of players doing things well in the NFL that they struggled in college with.  Seems pretty silly to me to write something like that off from day one without even trying 

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Fair enough.

5 hours ago, Blink said:

IMO deciding what a rookie for sure is and isn’t for their entire career before their first training camp even begins is a terrible coaching staff.

There’s countless examples of players doing things well in the NFL that they struggled in college with.  Seems pretty silly to me to write something like that off from day one without even trying 

I'll go further than that. I believe there is a  trap many teams fall into.

When they are first drafted/picked up, coaches try using a player in different ways, and in different positions. That gives them a baseline in what the player can do well and what they struggle with. On that basis they use the individual in a certain way. So far so good. BUT, just because a player couldn't handle something well as a rookie, doesn't mean he can't when he has had 2-4 years experience. That is the part I think teams overlook - giving players another look at those things they may not have handled well when first acquired. Experience helps so much in allowing a player to add to his skillset. That might have been why they let Micah Hyde go. It didn't take him long (after leaving the Packers) to show he could play safety, and the Packers had a ton of time with him to see if he had expanded his skillset.

I would tend to agree.

Also from my understanding Jackson used to play WR and has a limited amount of time playing as a starter at CB, it should stand to reason that with no longer being in college he should have more time and a better staff to adjust his skills to the professional level.

I understand playing to your players strengths, what I don’t get is not even attempting to see if the player improve his overall skill set.

6 hours ago, Blink said:

Cover corners who press all the time generally don't take the ball away at a good clip. Your focus is more on the WR than the QB. 

If you drafted Josh Jackson to be that guy with Isaiah Oliver on the board you flat out wasted your pick. You play Jackson in bail like you would a Josh Norman or Sherman (and Jackson's a better athlete than those two). You let him read the QBs eyes and take the ball away.

Ideally King comes back stronger than ever and is ready to simply fight and scrap with the other teams #1 every week. He's our cover guy, he's built for that. Then QBs have to throw at Alexander and Jackson and that will be a risky proposition with their ball skills.

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cover corners who press all the time generally don't take the ball away at a good clip. Your focus is more on the WR than the QB. 

If you drafted Josh Jackson to be that guy with Isaiah Oliver on the board you flat out wasted your pick. You play Jackson in bail like you would a Josh Norman or Sherman (and Jackson's a better athlete than those two). You let him read the QBs eyes and take the ball away.

Ideally King comes back stronger than ever and is ready to simply fight and scrap with the other teams #1 every week. He's our cover guy, he's built for that. Then QBs have to throw at Alexander and Jackson and that will be a risky proposition with their ball skills.

Works for me.

Archived