Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

32 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I have no problems with him practicing it. You're again missing my overarching point. If he doesn't nail it down, I don't want to see it in games. With Dom, you'd see it, because that's what the scheme required. I want the end to that mentality and the start to us evaluating our players strengths and weaknesses and putting them in situations to succeed in games.

I agree with everything you’re saying. The point I’m making is everyone hasn’t “nailed” if he can or can’t yet. And part of nailing that down is playing him in live games... in those spots.

Can’t say a guy can’t until he proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Just like if we drafted Oliver or Davis, my thought is they are purely boundary corners, that’s it. But if I see them lining up as slot guys it’s likely because the coaches need to see if they can do it if injuries hit and to give the scheme flexibility. Not inherently because they are idiots and don’t know those players’ strengths.

I agree, coaches need to play these guys in the right spots. Fit is probably the most important thing for any player. All I was advocating is to let Pettine figure out what that fit is... don’t just go off one year starting in college. Which why I reacted so strongly to some local reporter “reporting” Jackson got beat in man. It’s a lazy comment that will take people to the simple conclusion he can’t man cover, press cover, whatever. Because that what a bunch of “unnamed scouts said about him”

Heck the amazing cover corner GB drafted, Alexander, got beat deep by Moore. Then Alexander said he was out of shape. That doesn’t spur conversations on coaches playing him in the right spot. Or even any worries that the top pick is by his own admission “out of shape”. Why? Because it’s a rookie orientation practice... it’s not a big deal. Same with Jackson, it’s not a big deal. Let them put him through all the different situations. Hopefully by his second year the coaches have a solid understanding of his strengths and no injuries occur that force him into spots where it limits his strengths.

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty sure him and Seisay failed their physicals.

He failed a physical on his shoulder that he hurt but never got surgery on. I heard he had some other bumps and bruises that had been bothering him that he is also going to address this off season. 

11 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Framework: A seven year veteran - age: 29 - had a drop off in production last year on a playoff team that should have gone to the NFCCG.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14900/coby-fleener

My questions would be:

1. Why the drop off?

2. Are we talking about bringing him in for 3rd string (?) and would he even be interested? I highly doubt that.

3. Are we talking about replacing Kendricks?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14007/lance-kendricks

When I first heard of Nagler I kind of enjoyed his content, he’s now one of my least favorite packer writers.  Dude has a god complex and gets personal when anyone disagrees with him.

Honestly now that I think of it I’m not particularly a fan of any of the bigger writers for the team.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Framework: A seven year veteran - age: 29 - had a drop off in production last year on a playoff team that should have gone to the NFCCG.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14900/coby-fleener

My questions would be:

1. Why the drop off?

2. Are we talking about bringing him in for 3rd string (?) and would he even be interested? I highly doubt that.

3. Are we talking about replacing Kendricks?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14007/lance-kendricks

He’s still recovering from a concussion. He won’t play for us based on med, and I kinda wonder if he plays for anybody if the concussion talk is still true. Just my 2c

18 minutes ago, spilltray said:

He's going to be on the roster. The young guys are going to get every chance to take those reps though if they can.

I'm pretty confident that Tramon will start all 16 games this season unless he's injured. Only guy that could threaten would be Jackson and I'm not counting on that in year 1. Packers would be smart to bring Jackson along in a back-up role, we have enough young guys in our secondary already. 

Alexander will start in the slot so I'm not counting him. 

Archived