Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

Honestly, we should've considered Bowman going into camp regardless of depth at the position. On the other hand, we're not entirely sure how the ILB's will be used. CMIII moving back inside would be a lot more comfortable if Elvis Dumervil had been signed; a move I still champion. I'm glancing through the rest of the roster right now and I'm not so sure why we need 11 WR's on the roster when the most we keep is going to be 6, 7 if Monty were to move back for whatever reason. We could've sacrificed one or two in order to address depth elsewhere, mainly at Safety. Regardless of ST's value, we have to question why Goodson was brought back to camp.

As for the suspects at Safety, I'm sure Eric Reid has been blackballed as well, but Vaccaro was played more as a CB last year and had a horrible PFF score of 35.4 before suffering a groin injury. After that, it's Mike Mitchell and Tyvon Branch along with TJ Ward and a bevy of JAG's and other older players who have seen better days. Aside from Bowman at ILB, you're looking at Brian Cushing, Gerald Hodges, an older Karlos Dansby, and a troubled Lawrence Timmons. 

21 hours ago, Cheech said:

Jarrett Boykin is a lazy comparison.  I'd say he's more of a wide receiver version of Richard Rodgers.  

I'd love to see a rookie step up and take some snaps at Z.  This offense desperately needs speed at that position to take the lid off of the top and Allison isn't a guy that fills that role.  

He isn't a complete bum, though.  

He's probably the 2nd best route runner after Adams.  (I haven't see the rookies, obviously, but their highlights leave much to be desired.)  Allison isn't going to win a bunch of 1 on 1 matchups in the ISO route offense of 2015, but he can get open when you ask him to run a route within a designed play.  He's a nice red zone target and possession receiver.  He has reliable hands.  I'd be completely fine with him as a #4 or #5.  

How so?  Athletically and skill wise their damn near mirror images.  Boykin was every bit the route runner that Allison is.  I'd argue that at this point in their careers Boykin was the better player.  The ONLY difference  between the 2 prospects is one is a current Packer and the other is a former thus the severely inflated value for Allison.  The last time this offense went into a season with an athlete the caliber of Allison slotted to start was in 2014 when Boykin beat out Davante Adams.  

On 7/29/2018 at 8:51 PM, Packerraymond said:

When Geronimo plays 60% of a games snaps with Aaron Rodgers as QB he's averaged 5 catches and 67 yards a game. That's 80 catches and 1075 yards for a season. 

His biggest knocks are that he isn't some household name, he's a UDFA and he got clocked at 4.65. 

All I can tell you guys is I've seen a lot of football, and there were a lot of guys out on that field that have seen 1000x more football than I have. There's a reason Rodgers, Mac, Philbin and Gute aren't picking up the phone and calling a vet right now and that's because Allison looks like a player.

Its been much more than just a bad 40 and being undrafted. He had 3 pre draft measurables that were in the bottom 10% of all tested WRs in the last 10 years.  His 3 cone was in the bottom 2%.  Even if you were to ignore that he's a historically bad athlete for his position he's played slow and has struggled terribly at getting separation.  By relying on a horrid athlete to play major snaps you are forcing your QB into making impossible throws as his window is extremely small.  

Allison played in over 30% of offensive snaps last year.  He's got substantially more experience than the 4 or 5 games you are focusing on.  With that sort of logic, one could argue that Jeff Janis would have been an all pro given a certain amount of offensive snaps.  That 60% snap count is a pretty convenient number given some of his horrid performances when he has slightly fewer snaps (58% or 40%).  Matter of fact, he played in 58% of the offensive snaps in the 2016 playoff run.  During that run he gave the offense less than 2 catches and 21 yards a game.  Maybe his production would have more than tripled if we'd gotten him those 6 extra offensive snaps xD (jk)

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Its been much more than just a bad 40 and being undrafted. He had 3 pre draft measurables that were in the bottom 10% of all tested WRs in the last 10 years.  His 3 cone was in the bottom 2%.  Even if you were to ignore that he's a historically bad athlete for his position he's played slow and has struggled terribly at getting separation.  By relying on a horrid athlete to play major snaps you are forcing your QB into making impossible throws as his window is extremely small.  

Allison played in over 30% of offensive snaps last year.  He's got substantially more experience than the 4 or 5 games you are focusing on.  With that sort of logic, one could argue that Jeff Janis would have been an all pro given a certain amount of offensive snaps.  That 60% snap count is a pretty convenient number given some of his horrid performances when he has slightly fewer snaps (58% or 40%).  Matter of fact, he played in 58% of the offensive snaps in the 2016 playoff run.  During that run he gave the offense less than 2 catches and 21 yards a game.  Maybe his production would have more than tripled if we'd gotten him those 6 extra offensive snaps xD (jk)

Do you like any of our receivers? Arent you the same one I had to argue that Davante was a legit #1 with?

We aren't signing a vet because Allison looks good, that's all I've got for you. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from it.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Do you like any of our receivers? Arent you the same one I had to argue that Davante was a legit #1 with?

We aren't signing a vet because Allison looks good, that's all I've got for you. You can draw whatever conclusion you want from it.

I like Adams, I  just don't believe he's the top 5 WR some believe him to be!  Just because I don't want to put him in the same category as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones or OBJ  doesn't mean I don't like him.  He's yet to show he's a high volume, high production receiver.  In the last full season with AR12 he wasn't even our best WR (I  know you disagree with that opinion despite the difference in production between Jordy and Adams).

We'll have to agree to disagree about Allison.  Obviously if there was interest in Allen Robinson this offseason, there was interest in bringing in vet.  IMO, the way Allison looks minutes into training camp has absolutely nothing to do with why we didn't address WR with an aging vet this offseason.  We're starting Allison for EXACTLY the same reason we started Boykin in 2014.  Aaron Rodgers is going to perform regardless of the talent we have at WR and just like that offseason we invested 3 picks into rookie WRs.  IMO, it looks like youth at WR is more important than its been in year's past.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

I like Adams, I  just don't believe he's the top 5 WR some believe him to be!  Just because I don't want to put him in the same category as Antonio Brown, Julio Jones or OBJ  doesn't mean I don't like him.  He's yet to show he's a high volume, high production receiver.  In the last full season with AR12 he wasn't even our best WR (I  know you disagree with that opinion despite the difference in production between Jordy and Adams).

We'll have to agree to disagree about Allison.  Obviously if there was interest in Allen Robinson this offseason, there was interest in bringing in vet.  IMO, the way Allison looks minutes into training camp has absolutely nothing to do with why we didn't address WR with an aging vet this offseason.  We're starting Allison for EXACTLY the same reason we started Boykin in 2014.  Aaron Rodgers is going to perform regardless of the talent we have at WR and just like that offseason we invested 3 picks into rookie WRs.  IMO, it looks like youth at WR is more important than its been in year's past.

I've never heard anyone suggest Adams is a top 5 WR... here, in general, in real life. First time I have ever heard that take. Most fans outside of Green Bay never considered Jordy a top 5 WR, that doesn't mean he wasn't capable of being a bonafide #1. I'm not thrilled about Allison but I think we will see the offense slow it down a bit this season and take time getting different guys on the field. 

5 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

starting an injury update thread would defo 100% guarantee a curse right? like even brining it up just consigned another UDFA to IR just now? because otherwise it would seem like a useful thing to have.

A thread just for injuries? What? You expecting a massive and ongoing massacre or something?

Archived