Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Honestly, we should've considered Bowman going into camp regardless of depth at the position. On the other hand, we're not entirely sure how the ILB's will be used. CMIII moving back inside would be a lot more comfortable if Elvis Dumervil had been signed; a move I still champion. I'm glancing through the rest of the roster right now and I'm not so sure why we need 11 WR's on the roster when the most we keep is going to be 6, 7 if Monty were to move back for whatever reason. We could've sacrificed one or two in order to address depth elsewhere, mainly at Safety. Regardless of ST's value, we have to question why Goodson was brought back to camp.

As for the suspects at Safety, I'm sure Eric Reid has been blackballed as well, but Vaccaro was played more as a CB last year and had a horrible PFF score of 35.4 before suffering a groin injury. After that, it's Mike Mitchell and Tyvon Branch along with TJ Ward and a bevy of JAG's and other older players who have seen better days. Aside from Bowman at ILB, you're looking at Brian Cushing, Gerald Hodges, an older Karlos Dansby, and a troubled Lawrence Timmons. 

Did he miss any names?

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Expecting alot of injuries? Why would we expect this year be much different than others?

We've been one of the most injured teams over the last decade, contending with the Ravens and Chargers. Expecting a ton of injuries isn't a deviation from the standard.

12 hours ago, Joe said:

Honestly, we should've considered Bowman going into camp regardless of depth at the position. On the other hand, we're not entirely sure how the ILB's will be used. CMIII moving back inside would be a lot more comfortable if Elvis Dumervil had been signed; a move I still champion. I'm glancing through the rest of the roster right now and I'm not so sure why we need 11 WR's on the roster when the most we keep is going to be 6, 7 if Monty were to move back for whatever reason. We could've sacrificed one or two in order to address depth elsewhere, mainly at Safety. Regardless of ST's value, we have to question why Goodson was brought back to camp.

As for the suspects at Safety, I'm sure Eric Reid has been blackballed as well, but Vaccaro was played more as a CB last year and had a horrible PFF score of 35.4 before suffering a groin injury. After that, it's Mike Mitchell and Tyvon Branch along with TJ Ward and a bevy of JAG's and other older players who have seen better days. Aside from Bowman at ILB, you're looking at Brian Cushing, Gerald Hodges, an older Karlos Dansby, and a troubled Lawrence Timmons. 

Because you dont want your starters running reps with the 3rd offense.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We've been one of the most injured teams over the last decade, contending with the Ravens and Chargers. Expecting a ton of injuries isn't a deviation from the standard.

So maintain an excel spreadsheet detailing injuries and post it periodically.

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

It was Aaron Jones talking....not a coach or AR....so a grain of salt or two would come in handy.

It makes sense, given who we have at RB.  Monty, Jones and Williams are all guys who can beat that first defender and get 10 to 15 more after the catch.  Kamara made it popular again last year, so I'd expect most teams to follow suit if they have that type of player.  

9 minutes ago, Cheech said:

It makes sense, given who we have at RB.  Monty, Jones and Williams are all guys who can beat that first defender and get 10 to 15 more after the catch.  Kamara made it popular again last year, so I'd expect most teams to follow suit if they have that type of player.  

Oh I agree. It represents an offense I wish we'd use more often (and I envisioned we would if/when we drafted Joe Mixon....Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!) - but we'll see if we do. It would be smart for a number of reasons but Jones saying it will happen......well, I like the guy but its less than proof the teams making that switch. Hope springs eternal.

34 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Not sure that Kamara would have anything to do with it.  NE has been using that for several years to high success, Riddick, Bernard, Vereen, Charles, Bell, David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Woodhead....etc.   There have been good pass catching RB's in the league for a long time.

Archived