Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

this continues to sound ominous

Well lets break this down a bit....
If it were a legal thing, we'd probably have heard/read about it right? Good chance at least. Same probably applies if he's in some drug/alcohol rehab facility.
If it were NFL drug related - he'd have been able to attend TC pending some sort of announced suspension or penalty - no?
Still feels like a family matter of some sort. HHCD just had one and (similar to this.....) mum was the word on all fronts till he showed up.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

If it were a legal thing, we'd probably have heard/read about it right? Good chance at least. Same probably applies if he's in some drug/alcohol rehab facility.
If it were NFL drug related - he's have been able to attend TC pending some sort of announced suspension or penalty - no?
Still feels like a family matter of some sort. HHCD just had one and (similar to this.....) mum was the word on all fronts till he showed up.

Being TC and a rookie, I have a feeling this is about Cole having a problem himself, not about a family member passing, etc. Whether its mental, emotional, criminal, dependency related, whatever, I'm guessing the issue is about him personally. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

Being TC and a rookie, I have a feeling this is about Cole having a problem himself, not about a family member passing, etc. Whether its mental, emotional, criminal, dependency related, whatever, I'm guessing the issue is about him personally. 

Could be - no doubt - but wouldnt you think some local beat reporter to be on the story and putting some kind of info out by this point? Everybody around the guy is clammed up shut? That could be too I guess - but would seem odd.

Imagine Brice is a high ankle sprain. I had one, the initial pain is pretty intense, can see why he put the towel over his head and felt he was done. As long as he's ready for the season I don't see a need for a safety to be brought in.

ILB is a whole different story. Ryan's ACL is torn, I have little to no doubt. Need another vet there.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could be - no doubt - but wouldnt you think some local beat reporter to be on the story and putting some kind of info out by this point? Everybody around the guy is clammed up shut? That could be too I guess - but would seem odd.

Maybe, I just cannot imagine he'd be gone this long if it were a family issue. Not trying to sound crass, but at this point it doesn't even sound like the Packers have any idea at all when he's coming back. That sounds like a personal "I'm messed up and getting help" issue to me.   

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

If it were NFL drug related - he'd have been able to attend TC pending some sort of announced suspension or penalty - no?

I'm guessing mental health related or just him losing the fire for football and deciding what he wants to do with his life. He's not on the roster to me at this point, I don't see him ever putting on a jersey.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Imagine Brice is a high ankle sprain. I had one, the initial pain is pretty intense, can see why he put the towel over his head and felt he was done. As long as he's ready for the season I don't see a need for a safety to be brought in.

ILB is a whole different story. Ryan's ACL is torn, I have little to no doubt. Need another vet there.

Yea, Gute can say all the right things about "waiting to see what the young guys can do" etc., but we literally don't have a replacement for Ryan's role currently on the roster. We don't even have an ILB on the team who has ever played a down of pro football before other than Martinez. Not adding a run-thumping vet if Ryan is done would be crazy in my mind. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, Gute can say all the right things about "waiting to see what the young guys can do" etc., but we literally don't have a replacement for Ryan's role currently on the roster. We don't even have an ILB on the team who has ever played a down of pro football before other than Martinez. Not adding a run-thumping vet if Ryan is done would be crazy in my mind. 

Only way I can see it is if Pettine goes base 4-3 with Wilk and Perry at ends and Jones at WLB with Clay at SAM.

Even still now you have 3 linebackers on the field and Oren Burks as a backup to all of them. You don't even have to cut a young guy, Jake to IR, vet LB to the roster.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm guessing mental health related or just him losing the fire for football and deciding what he wants to do with his life. He's not on the roster to me at this point, I don't see him ever putting on a jersey.

And this would be a bummer.....for the GBPs at least. If true...hopefully the guy finds/gets whatever he needs or is looking for. Personally I liked what tape I was of him and thought him a good add to our less than stellar OL. Hopefully that will still occur. Maybe (probably?) not at this point.

I'm really upset because I like Ryan, but it's kinda funny to me how half this board complains about Ryan and then he gets injured and it's the end of the world. 

It's really not much to worry about.  David Harris had 127 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 2 interceptions in his first season with Pettine. 

Kiko Alonso's rookie year was under Pettine as a DC.  He had 159 tackles, 2 sacks and 4 interceptions.  In his three seasons since he last worked with Pettine, he's had 1 total sack and 3 total interceptions. 

Mike Pettine elevates the inside linebacker position.  It's not a position we ever had to worry about to begin with.  We don't need a veteran replacement. 

If anything, we'd probably be better off moving Fackrell to ILB and signing a veteran pass rusher.  Fackrell might have a chance at a decent NFL career at ILB.  Not at EDGE. 

Cole Madison better not retire.  I gotta point to him four years down the road and compare him to Quenton Nelson and lol at everybody who wanted Nelson.  Guess I'll have to find five other interior offensive linemen drafted in the 2nd-7th rounds that have as good as or better career than Nelson will. 

One of Cole Madison’s teammates at WSU (a QB so they may hve been fairly close) committed suicide in January and it recently came out that he had CTE. If I had to guess I’d say that he’s probably feeling pretty conflicted about a sport that he just found out may have killed one of his close friends. Just a guess. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Cole Madison better not retire.  I gotta point to him four years down the road and compare him to Quenton Nelson and lol at everybody who wanted Nelson.  Guess I'll have to find five other interior offensive linemen drafted in the 2nd-7th rounds that have as good as or better career than Nelson will. 

People wanted Nelson at #14, he went at #6, no one was clamoring for a trade up. So I"m not sure how you'd LOL at that? Also, judging from what I've read out of Colt's camp so far, you're not going to be laughing at Nelson down the road. 

Archived