Does LeSean McCoy have a chance to at the HOF?

TXsteeler

This Article about LeSean McCoy and his goals for the upcoming season/future mention making the HOF and winning a Super Bowl being the top priorities for McCoy.

It also mentions that

only two backs in NFL history with at least 12,000 rushing yards aren't in the Hall of Fame: Edgerrin James (who's been nominated) and Frank Gore (who's still active). McCoy is only 3,046 away.

It goes on to mention that he had a career high ypc last year and calls his reach of 12,000 a "near-gaurantee" which, aside from the asinine wording, isn't out of the question.

He is currently tied for 48th place for all time rushing TDs and sits at 38th place for all time rushing yards.

He just turned 29 in July and plans on playing for at least a few more years.

By the time he does retire, where do you think he ends up stat-wise? Will he ever win a SB, and will he make the HOF?

I don't really feel like looking up the stats/arguments for him but there was a legitimate case made that if he plays at this level for a couple more years he's a HOF lock when being compared to other backs already in the HOF.

It would be a very Eagles thing to have to say that we traded away a HOF RB for a middle of the road LB that didn't even last with the team longer than a year.

With 3 more seasons of 1,200 Yards From Scrimmage he will be at nearly 16,000 career. So he would definitely have an argument. The problem is, unfortunately, he was never unanimously considered a top 3 back despite the fact that there were several times he should have been. Additionally, he's never been the focal point of a post-season bound offense.

Right now, he's not there, obviously. He's in a large swath of running backs with very similar statlines who aren't in. But with 3 additional years?  He could certainly put himself in the conversation, particularly if those are effective years. Health will obviously play a role, but if he doesn't regress in those three years and is healthy, that could easily be close to another 3500 yards rushing, and another 600-700 receiving. I'd like to see 20 touchdowns in those three years to make it an easier selection. I think if you have those type of numbers at that point, along with that hefty ypa (I think its like 4.7 for is career right now?), you have a hall of fame running back. If he pads on a year or two of bulk stats after that, even if they aren't the most effective (similar to Gore), I think he could be nearly a lock with two first team all pros.. It won't be first ballot, so it'd be a waiting game, but I think he'd get in eventually. 

He has never felt like a HOF back in my opinion. He had a few stellar years, no doubt. But I feel like its a reach to talk about him making the HOF. Maybe if he has some sort of crazy end to his career (MVP/Superbowl/etc) - it seems unlikely that it would happen on the Bills. 

18 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

With 3 more seasons of 1,200 Yards From Scrimmage he will be at nearly 16,000 career. So he would definitely have an argument. The problem is, unfortunately, he was never unanimously considered a top 3 back despite the fact that there were several times he should have been. Additionally, he's never been the focal point of a post-season bound offense.

he wasn't a top 3 back in 2013 when he nearly finished with 300 more yards than anyone else? I doubt that a lot.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:55 AM, Tugboat said:

Get back to me after they finally let Fred Taylor in on pretty similar merits.

Fred Taylor faded towards the end of his career, like Edgerrin James, so that's not helpful. If McCoy finishes strong, he has a real shot at Canton. One of the things which helped Jerome Bettis(in addition to finishing fifth all time in rushing when he retired), was ending his last two seasons on a high note. The HOF is not the HOF of yards per carry, that's why Jamaal Charles won't make it. 

I love me some Shady.. but to get into the HoF.. don't you have to be the BEST at your position for at least a while? I'm not sure if he's been the BEST RB in the league at any point during his career. One of the best? Sure. The best? Not going that far.

21 minutes ago, coors said:

I love me some Shady.. but to get into the HoF.. don't you have to be the BEST at your position for at least a while? I'm not sure if he's been the BEST RB in the league at any point during his career. One of the best? Sure. The best? Not going that far.

He's got two first team all pros in 8 years along with 5 pro bowls. That's going to be enough to get that done. If he puts on 3 good more years and stays healthy, averaging similar to what he's averaged in the past when he's played full season, you're talking another 3600 rushing yards, give or take, and probably another 600 receiving yards. That'd put him over 12.5 rushing yards (top 10 all time), and an additional 3500 receiving yards. 16K YFS would put him just outside of the top 10/ 

On 8/12/2017 at 0:50 PM, BlaqOptic said:

Shady was pretty unanimously considered top 3 in 2013. He and Charles even edged out AP, to some. 

Your point stands, though. HOFers ought to be more dominant towards their competition than McCoy has been for his career.

3 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

How many time were Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin considered the best RB in the league during their career?

Frank Gore was also never considered one of the best running backs in the league during his tenure, but it's going to be hard to keep him out if he's top 5 in all time rushing yards (which he has a good shot at getting into this year as he's only about 630 yards behind LT),  and top 10 in YFS.

Archived