Does LeSean McCoy have a chance to at the HOF?

TXsteeler

On 8/13/2017 at 7:25 AM, ninjapirate said:

he wasn't a top 3 back in 2013 when he nearly finished with 300 more yards than anyone else? I doubt that a lot.

You're kidding yourself if you think McCoy was unanimously considered a Top 3 back.  Jamaal Charles (deservingly), Marshawn Lynch (undeservingly), and Adrian Peterson (deservingly) were widely considered better by most fans and some pundits. Likewise, you and I both know that in the grand scheme of careers being the best for "one year" largely "doesn't count."

6 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

How many times were Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin considered the best RB in the league during their career?

And people still consider them fringe Hall of Famers. Key difference is they finished Top 4 all time statistically AND their stories were much larger than football on and off the field. LeSean McCoy has never had the story that transcended football and the accusations off the field despite being unfounded will hurt him unless he clearly is a Hall of Famer. And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Shady.

22 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

And people still consider them fringe Hall of Famers. Key difference is they finished Top 4 all time statistically AND their stories were much larger than football on and off the field. LeSean McCoy has never had the story that transcended football and the accusations off the field despite being unfounded will hurt him unless he clearly is a Hall of Famer. And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Shady.

Going based off talent alone, I'll take Shady over both of them. He just need a few more healthy seasons to pad his stats and he'll get in, IMO.

He could be like Curtis Martin where there are always a few guys better than him then he leads the league in something in his 30s and ends up near the top of a bunch of all-time statistical categories and all of a sudden he's a hall of famer. But he's not like an Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson where he's an obvious Hall of Famer long before he even gets to 30.

18 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Shady has a good chance for a few reasons:

1. Buffalo has a good OL

2.Taylor is a run threat so teams cant completely key in on Shady

3.He'll continue to get the bulk of the carries

If he has another 2-3 productive seasons, there's no way he doesn't get in.

I agree with points 1 and 3, but aren't they looking at qb's in the 2018 draft? Taylor doesn't appear to have too much time left in buffalo.

I don't think shady is hof worthy, even with a nice few years to finish his career. 

The question I always hear when discussing the merits of Andre Johnson as a HOF player (who isn't exactly first ballot, but might have a chance in following years) is "What was his signature moment?" as in a moment where he was just bigger than the sum of his team, and was the key to a big victory? 

AJ - for as dominant as he was, a legit top 5 WR in an era with several big names - never had a signature moment, which hurts his chances.

What's Shady's signature moment?

6 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The question I always hear when discussing the merits of Andre Johnson as a HOF player (who isn't exactly first ballot, but might have a chance in following years) is "What was his signature moment?" as in a moment where he was just bigger than the sum of his team, and was the key to a big victory? 

AJ - for as dominant as he was, a legit top 5 WR in an era with several big names - never had a signature moment, which hurts his chances.

What's Shady's signature moment?

As far as I'm concerned Andre Johnson was the 2nd best WR of the early years of this decade only to Megatron(and that includes Fitzgerald) and should absolutely be a Hall of Famer. I don't think Shady is close to his equivalent. 

As for signature moments, I don't think they matter. I can't think of one for DeMarcus Ware, Darrelle Revis, or really any OLineman. I know it's not the same because we're talking about offensive skill players but I don't think never making a ridiculous one handed catch, breaking 20 tackles in a playoff game and almost causing an earthquake, or pulling a Sharpie out of your sock like an idiot disqualifies you.

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I know it's not the same because we're talking about offensive skill players but I don't think never making a ridiculous one handed catch, breaking 20 tackles in a playoff game and almost causing an earthquake, or pulling a Sharpie out of your sock like an idiot disqualifies you.

I'm not saying it's a "make or break" requirement, but it helps out a lot. Somebody on the bubble could get over the top if they have that moment (Eli comes to mind - Hall of Very Good when you think about his stats, but voters will remember the helmet catch and his part in that play).

On 8/14/2017 at 9:05 AM, coors said:

but to get into the HoF.. don't you have to be the BEST at your position for at least a while?

Since the being the best is subjective, this really isn't the case. There are guy who are in the HoF based on those signature moments @EliteTexan80 was talking about. 

You can look at recent history, and get a good example. There are people that think Emmit Smith was the best RB of his time. Then there's the rest of us that aren't Cowboys fans that know it was by far Barry Sanders. How do you say who's better when stats don't guarantee anything anymore?

6 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Since the being the best is subjective, this really isn't the case. There are guy who are in the HoF based on those signature moments @EliteTexan80 was talking about. 

You can look at recent history, and get a good example. There are people that think Emmit Smith was the best RB of his time. Then there's the rest of us that aren't Cowboys fans that know it was by far Barry Sanders. How do you say who's better when stats don't guarantee anything anymore?

Meh, Barry was the best pure runner in history, but I would say Emmitt did more to help his team win. Emmitt always kept us in manageable down and distance. Consistently moved the chains. I liken it to Peyton v Brady. Brady is boring, takes what the def gives you, doesnt have a ton of splash plays but is just consistently really good for a really long time. Peyton put up gawdy stats and was much more fun to watch. Im sure there are better examples out there, but this was the first that came to mind. 

But thats for another thread.... 

On 8/10/2017 at 2:33 PM, TXsteeler said:

and will he make the HOF?

Absolutely not.  He was only a top-5 RB for a very short time (when he was in Philly).  FWIW, in the case of Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis, I never agreed with the selection of Bettis, but I did think that Martin could be considered worthy, because in the end, you can't argue with him getting over 1100 yards every year of his career, except for 2.   Bettis had far too many mediocre years.  

Frank Gore, on the other hand, is somewhere in-between the 2.  He's not as good as Martin (even if he surpasses him), but he's far and away better than Bettis...so, yes Gore is a HOFer.  LeSean McCoy would have to step up his game to be considered in their class, because he'd probably need at least another 4 years of his average output to be even in consideration for me.  2-3 years ain't gonna cut it, because he's already had too many years of inconsistent play.  

On 8/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, LaserFocus said:

Fred Taylor faded towards the end of his career, like Edgerrin James, so that's not helpful. If McCoy finishes strong, he has a real shot at Canton. One of the things which helped Jerome Bettis(in addition to finishing fifth all time in rushing when he retired), was ending his last two seasons on a high note. The HOF is not the HOF of yards per carry, that's why Jamaal Charles won't make it. 

I do think Taylor's tapering off late in his career hurt his chances.  Especially since it coincides with his brief move to a high profile "major market".  Unfortunately, that's the note he left the league on.  That Patriots Fred Taylor wasn't the real Freddy T experience.  Still think if anything, that little bit of tacked on career extension unduly influences some peoples' perceptions of him outside of Jacksonville where he's pretty much universally adored for what was a fantastic career.

Archived