Rookie Camp

ReggieCamp

Just now, MWil23 said:

I'm excited to see Tyrod, period, and that was the case even if we drafted Darnold. I want to see competent QB play and am hoping that he stays healthy all year. If he does, he/this team could surprise some folks...I don't think 6-8 wins would be out of the question.

Agreed. 

Some folks seem to think because Baker is 23 he can’t sit a year, but I don’t see why that would matter.  He could sit a year and still play a decade and a half if he’s good enough.

I want to see some wins, even if it’s just 5-6, something approaching respectability.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed. 

Some folks seem to think because Baker is 23 he can’t sit a year, but I don’t see why that would matter.  He could sit a year and still play a decade and a half if he’s good enough.

I want to see some wins, even if it’s just 5-6, something approaching respectability.

I mean, if Baker isn't ready until he's 25 then just sit him until he's 25. I'd take 10-12 years of great QB play if it means sitting him for two years. It worked out fine for Aaron Rogers. 

1 minute ago, Aztec Hammer said:

It’s an interesting one. I sort of expect and think I know what we are going to get from Tyrod. Somewhere around:

62%, 3000 passing, 500 rushing, 23 total TD, 5 INTs.

Way better than anything the Browns I’ve had for a long time. Then you can plausibly inflate those stats a bit because the Browns have a much better offense on paper than what the Bills had.

So then what happens if Tyrod hits that stat line or better and we go 8-8?

Depends on how Baker looks in practice.  If he looks like he’s good to go, move on.  

It’s a huge risk to ditch the best QB we’ve had in ages who put up good stats and got to winning, for Baker.

Sure is, no doubt.  I’m not sure Taylor is good enough to win many games though.  Not lose games?  Yes.  But to be the guy winning them?  I don’t see it.  Haven’t yet anyway.

With Darnold, he is 20 years old so you could easily sit him for multiple years behind Tyrod and be okay with it.

Baker is 23 already, an old rookie QB by modern NFL standards. Sitting him for two years isn’t something I like the sound of. Fair or not, I expect him to be more advanced than Darnold and more ready to play.

It’s 2 years.  Baker just turned 23 and Darnold turns 21 in a month or so. QB’s can play well into their late 30’s now, idgaf about a year or two in their early 20’s. He could sit 2 years and still play 15 if he’s good enough.

But if he goes in Week 1 in 2019 after the best season we’ve had in ages because of Tyrod, that’s a lot of pressure.

He’s the number one overall pick and a qb, there’s always going to be pressure.

@LETSGOBROWNIES I’m not sold on Tyrod to be the driving force either. Sitting through that Jags playoff game was rough. They could still be playing now and the Bills wouldn’t have scored a TD.

The interesting part of it to me is that even with Tyrod being limited in this way, he’s likely going to make Baker follow the best Browns season since 2007.

If Baker sat for two years and played his first game as a 25-year-old, it wouldn’t be the end of the world you’re right, he’d still have a ton of football ahead of him. But I wouldn’t be keen on it. I doubt anyone would be okay with Darnold sitting 4-5 years and playing his first game at 25.

Maybe it’s unfair, but I do expect Baker to be more developed and ready to go than Sam. Maybe even ready to go Week 1 this year. He’s the #1 overall pick and played nearly 50 college games. I wouldn’t count out the possibility.

31 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES I’m not sold on Tyrod to be the driving force either. Sitting through that Jags playoff game was rough. They could still be playing now and the Bills wouldn’t have scored a TD.

The interesting part of it to me is that even with Tyrod being limited in this way, he’s likely going to make Baker follow the best Browns season since 2007.

If Baker sat for two years and played his first game as a 25-year-old, it wouldn’t be the end of the world you’re right, he’d still have a ton of football ahead of him. But I wouldn’t be keen on it. I doubt anyone would be okay with Darnold sitting 4-5 years and playing his first game at 25.

Maybe it’s unfair, but I do expect Baker to be more developed and ready to go than Sam. Maybe even ready to go Week 1 this year. He’s the #1 overall pick and played nearly 50 college games. I wouldn’t count out the possibility.

I think he probably is ready to play, but there’d be the typical rookie growing pains.

If he sits for two years you should be looking at a Jimmy G situation where he hits the ground running.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

The thing about Taylor vs the Jags, that is probably the best defense in the league and it’s not like Taylor was playing with all world talent around him on offense.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

My buddy Julian Allen signed with you guys. Hope he makes your 53. He's  an extremely hard worker and has got great height, speed, and hands. 

Tell us more about him since he's your buddy. Do you expect him to make it? What does he excel at?

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

My buddy Julian Allen signed with you guys. Hope he makes your 53. He's  an extremely hard worker and has got great height, speed, and hands. 

He’s got great hands?  I’m afraid to ask. 

Seriously that would be nice if he can make it. 

3 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Tell us more about him since he's your buddy. Do you expect him to make it? What does he excel at?

He's a pass catching tight end in the mold of an Evan Engram. He's a tier below those unbelievable athletes (Saquon Barkley, Jadaveon Clowney, Myles Garrett, etc) in terms of pure athletic ability. He played at a smaller school with minimal production, thanks to a coaching staff that just inexplicably stopped using a TE in their offense, so I didn't expect him to get drafted. He went the juco route and worked his *** off. I'm not at all surprised the Browns saw that and signed him after his tryout. I don't know how much use Haley has for a player like that in his offense, but I could definitely see him sticking around on special teams until he gets his shot at TE. 

The reason he went undrafted was because he just wasn't used. And that is exclusively thanks to the coaching staff just not using a TE in their passing game. Really, really strange. His first game at Southern Miss he put up 30 yards and a touchdown. Fans were really excited to see more of him. The talent and work ethic is all there. Even if I didn't know him, I'd have him ranked as one of those diamond in the rough players where a team who really does their homework will come away with a hell of a player. 

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The thing about Taylor vs the Jags, that is probably the best defense in the league and it’s not like Taylor was playing with all world talent around him on offense.

Yeah Buffalo was in fire sale mode almost this whole season. They were getting rid of good players for the last 2 seasons trying to build draft capital. At least that's how it looked to me on the outside looking in. 

50 minutes ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Yeah Buffalo was in fire sale mode almost this whole season. They were getting rid of good players for the last 2 seasons trying to build draft capital. At least that's how it looked to me on the outside looking in. 

Pretty much, they gave Darius to the Jags.  I hated that.  I would have loved him in Cleveland.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

I’m not sold on Tyrod to be the driving force either. Sitting through that Jags playoff game was rough. They could still be playing now and the Bills wouldn’t have scored a TD.

Good thing he is on the Browns now. Tyrod was prolly the 2nd best playmaker on that Bills team behind McCoy. With the browns he is at least 4/5th behind Landry Gordon Njoku and Duke. He could fall further down that list If CC or Callaway break out as well

no one was expecting Tyrod to be a top10 but the supporting cast here in Cleveland is better than it was with the bills

Archived