Coaches and Players Quotes Thread

Cool article on Bakers fit in Haley's offence I thought you guys would like. 

Mayfield was easily one of the most accurate quarterbacks in college football this past season. With a 70.5 completion percentage, the guy flat out puts the ball where it needs to be consistently. He doesn’t have a Josh Allen arm and made a lot of his throws at Oklahoma within 10-yard of the LOS, but even when he did go downfield, his accuracy didn’t take a hit.

On top of that, his ability to extend a play will no doubt be a valuable asset to Haley, as it will help buy receivers time to get open vertically. He and Tyrod Taylor play a very similar style in that sense. Both guys with good but not great arm strength, who can move around to find an open man, or just take off if need be.

Another interesting aspect of how Haley’s offense will look in Cleveland will be how they work the run game. Having a top running back like Bell is not exactly a luxury that Haley will be able to afford in Cleveland, barring the selection of a running back early in the second round that really pans out. Duke Johnson and Carlos Hyde aren’t scrubs by any means, but putting them on the same level with LeVeon Bell would be asinine.

After a season of Hue Jackson talking non-stop about how much he wanted to increase their run game, with zero indication of that actually happening on the field, I’d anticipate the emphasis on the ground to go way up. If that is the case, and they find success doing so, either Tyrod or Baker will (ideally) have a much easier time throwing the ball.

The key in how this offense functions this season and beyond will come down to how much of the offense Haley and Jackson decide to mold around the players they have. While there probably wouldn’t have to be any major facelifts, earlier this year after Haley was hired, Jackson was quoted in a Cleveland.com article saying, “Todd will craft an offense that allows our playmakers to be the best they can be.”In a perfect world, Baker won’t see a single snap this season as he learns the offense behind Taylor. For the past 18, going on 19 years, though, the Browns world has been anything but perfect. I thoroughly expect that no matter what type of offense Haley implements, Mayfield will have no issue picking up on it and being successful. That being said, the more time he has to sit on it and really digest it before being thrown to the AFC North wolves, the greater his chances of success will be.

I think our offense is going to be based on overloads, good run game, lots of play action into short and intermediate passes with lots of YAC, and taking enough shots deep to keep defenses honest.

Duke, Njoku, Landry, DeValve and Gordon are all suited to this.  I think Calloway, Coleman, and Gordon are all suited to those deep shots.  

Gordon is the rare talent that can do both at an extremely high level.

I expect a decent split between Hyde and Chubb, and I expect Duke to be on the field a lot in 2 back sets, lining up all over the field and motioning out of the backfield.

49 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

I think our offense is going to be based on overloads, good run game, lots of play action into short and intermediate passes with lots of YAC, and taking enough shots deep to keep defenses honest.

Duke, Njoku, Landry, DeValve and Gordon are all suited to this.  I think Calloway, Coleman, and Gordon are all suited to those deep shots.  

Gordon is the rare talent that can do both at an extremely high level.

I expect a decent split between Hyde and Chubb, and I expect Duke to be on the field a lot in 2 back sets, lining up all over the field and motioning out of the backfield.

I would like this very much! 

Special Teams Coordinator Amos Jones on Jabrill Peppers 

All rookies are going to learn things, just like every day we all learn something," Jones said. "I think he has a chance to be a really special returner. I thought he did when I worked him out that day. His college tape was obviously good. The other thing is he is a downhill runner. If you get the ball in his hands, he can be elusive enough to make people miss."

Farmer on if Austin Corbett was a reach when most had him rated as a mid 3rd to mid 4th round pick. This is an older quote from right after the draft but this is actually the 1st time I saw it. 

"First of all, I do not know who those guys are who are ranking these guys," Highsmith said. "That does not matter to me. I am confident in my ability. I am confident in John Dorsey's ability. I am confident in Eliot's ability. I have confidence in what we do as a group in this organization. The only thing we are concerned about during the draft is getting the draft board right for the Cleveland Browns.

"We felt as though these guys were the best players where we ranked them. That is how we are going to roll with it. The funniest thing about the draft is it is all about nothing really because we do not know how any of these guys are going to be until two or three years. That is what the most important thing is. The thing that we have to find out, the most imperative thing is, are they football players? Are they real guys? Are they tough? Are they going to play the type of football players that we want to play? That is all that matters."

On 5/5/2018 at 1:40 PM, buckeyesNut0623 said:

I saw this Baker Mayfield quote and figured I'd start a thread for all the both good and not so good quotes out there.  

This is the quote I read on tweet by Steve Doerschuk @sdoerschukREP

Baker Mayfield on Antonio Callaway "He's a very fast man. He makes good plays on the ball. You get a guy like that and get chemistry down....... it's dangerous." 

Me likey this a lot ???

I hope they end up both being awesome and get the nickname, Shake and Bake!

tenor.gif?itemid=5663338

Archived