2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I dunno. He has quick enough feet to buy second chances and run for 1sts. Reads decent and stays cool under pressure for the most part. Biggest thing he has going for him is his arm though. Not talking about velocity, he has a very quick release. The kind you covet because it's nearly impossible for a defender to get the jump on it. Only way would be for him to stare down receivers or give his passes away some how. Coaches will love his skill set for a modified version of the spread. 

If he attacks downfield more with success then I’m very intrigued.   It’s just that so far it’s not a part of his game.   By this time we knew Rosen and Darnold had this in their games.   

Ultimately in the end the fact that no one is even at a Rosen / Darnold pre-final year level that they had at this exact time last year really has me down for the reason @BleedTheClock alluded to - this past year 4 guys ended up at the top of the draft class with a ton of debate as to the order; but all likely would have been the consensus #1 guy in 2019 (maybe even Lamar Jackson).

I’m not sold on anyone from the 2019 guys at this point as worth the top of the draft grade.  I definitely don’t see 3-4 guys emerging the same way.  Which means the premium to get the top 1-2 guys likely ends up being really prohibitive.    And even more uncertain than 2018.   Frankly I’d be tempted to pass on 2019 if it means my 1st.   And I realize how iffy it gets after that.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If he attacks downfield more with success then I’m very intrigued.   It’s just that so far it’s not a part of his game.   By this time we knew Rosen and Darnold had this in their games.   

Ultimately in the end the fact that no one is even at a Rosen / Darnold pre-final year level that they had at this exact time last year really has me down for the reason @BleedTheClock alluded to - this past year 4 guys ended up at the top of the draft class with a ton of debate as to the order; but all likely would have been the consensus #1 guy in 2019 (maybe even Lamar Jackson).

I’m not sold on all of the 2019 guys at this point as worth the top of the draft grade.  I definitely don’t see 3-4 guys emerging the same way.  Which means the premium to get the top 1-2 guys likely ends up being really prohibitive.    And even more uncertain than 2018.   Frankly I’d be tempted to pass on 2019 if it means my 1st.   And I realize how iffy it gets after that.  

I agree no one has really established themselves in this class. Although a few of them may have ability to be selected in the top 5. I'm sure only one will stand out as a top 5 pick. 

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The guy I watched the most was Jared Stidham. I love his skill set, but I wouldn't love taking him in the 1st round. He's got size, height, athleticism, and a great arm. But he's coming from an extremely quirky system and has questionable accuracy even on the easy throws. He's not quite as talented or as wild mechanically as Josh Allen, but he's the same type of toolsy QB prospect. Allen is more physically talented and played in a pro style, which helped him go pretty darn high. Stidham is more of a projection.

Jarrett Stidham reminds me of Jake Plummer.  Decent prospect but nothing special.

The 2019 NFL Draft has no special QBs.  It has a couple that will be servicable starters like Drew Lock and Stidham.  But there is no Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson in this class.  Guys who will change the fortunes of their franchise.

Some others not mentioned on the original list, and the fact some have a good chance of being pretty relevant come draft time shows it is not a super accomplished group just yet overall at QB.

Brett Rypien Boise State - Was disappointed in his play last year compared to years past, still kid has a strong arm and is poised to have a great season this year I think.

Justice Hansen Arkansas State RS - Really nice looking prospect with a good build and can really throw the football.  Good throwing on the run and has been wildly productive.

Easton Stick NDSU - Love his ability to move in the pocket and make plays, tough kid and could be a great mid to late round pickup in next years draft.  

Kyle Shurmur Vandy - Really like him and got to love his background with his Dad being now a head coach in the NFL.  Could easily climb up the boards and has been pretty solid on Vandy despite not having great talent around him, see how he does this year.

Malik Rosier Miami FL RS - Showed flashes last year, decent arm but needs to progress more, still is worth paying attention to and showed a lot of progress last year compared to what he was before.

Andrew Ford UMASS - With Andy at WR and Ford if he stays healthy he will have a great year.  Nice strong arm and decent prospect I think potentially.

Tanner Mangum BYU - Was not impressed with him last year, just did not have the magic he did earlier in his career as a freshman.  Will see if he can get back to that, who knows.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Malik Rosier Miami FL RS - Showed flashes last year, decent arm but needs to progress more, still is worth paying attention to and showed a lot of progress last year compared to what he was before.

I've been lurking for some time and appreciate your insight but Malik isn't even being picked up as a UDFA, and that's coming from a Canes fan. As you said he made a lot of progress from what he was before but he's reached his ceiling. Accuracy is horrible, can't even throw a simple slant, and shows no resilience--if he's playing bad its going to get worse. 

Reports have said that he looks exactly the same and while he has the starting job for now, our freshman QB could be starting once the season starts.

17 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

I've been lurking for some time and appreciate your insight but Malik isn't even being picked up as a UDFA, and that's coming from a Canes fan. As you said he made a lot of progress from what he was before but he's reached his ceiling. Accuracy is horrible, can't even throw a simple slant, and shows no resilience--if he's playing bad its going to get worse. 

Reports have said that he looks exactly the same and while he has the starting job for now, our freshman QB could be starting once the season starts.

Sure if Malik Rosier is the exact same player that he was last year, sure he will not be a high pick or even drafted.  I would assume some growth from JR - SR year.  Rosier was a nobody before last season, I was impressed with him at times and again would assume growth and improvement this year but maybe not.  Seems to have a nice arm and like you said if he improves his accuracy he could be a decent player, will see if he can do that.

And yes Tyree Jackson is a very interesting prospect but like many has a ways to go, physically hard to not really like what he potentially can become though.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure if Malik Rosier is the exact same player that he was last year, sure he will not be a high pick or even drafted.  I would assume some growth from JR - SR year.  Rosier was a nobody before last season, I was impressed with him at times and again would assume growth and improvement this year but maybe not.  Seems to have a nice arm and like you said if he improves his accuracy he could be a decent player, will see if he can do that.

And yes Tyree Jackson is a very interesting prospect but like many has a ways to go, physically hard to not really like what he potentially can become though.  

Perhaps I'm looking from a Canes' perspective rather than a scout's but nothing even remotely impressive from Rosier. Zero redeemable qualities unless you need a baseball player. I don't think his accuracy will ever improve, its been an issue since he's stepped on campus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He is an abomination. I can't imagine he starts the year as Miami's QB.

1 hour ago, Ajayii said:

Perhaps I'm looking from a Canes' perspective rather than a scout's but nothing even remotely impressive from Rosier. Zero redeemable qualities unless you need a baseball player. I don't think his accuracy will ever improve, its been an issue since he's stepped on campus. 

Throw him in the bucket with Jacory Harris.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

He is an abomination. I can't imagine he starts the year as Miami's QB.

Will see how he plays this year and if he improves or not, did struggle last year at times but was his first year as the full time starter I would assume some struggles would happen.  But obviously seems a few are a little spoiled as a fan base for the Hurricanes.  You take Demry Croft instead as your starting QB instead if Rosier is that bad, good luck with that...  

- I've been all in on Drew Lock for a while 

- Only a matter of time before Clayton Thorson gets his due hype

- HOT TAKE: Don't be surprised if Dwayne Haskins is a huge riser by the end of the year as a rSoph prospect.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2