2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

22 hours ago, Classic said:

So is Justin Herbert going back to school?

That was the most recent scuttle, but that stuff is never reliable. While there are certainly players have eschewed the draft when they appeared to be locks to go at the top of the first, I'm always somewhat surprised when it happens, and I never expect it. The most recent report I heard was that he was "far more likely" to return to school. That being said, similar things were said last year about Darnold, and it flipped back and forth. Secondarily, that report was given from JLC based on talk with player agents, so I'm never trusting that, but he does make some valid points (IE, Herbert is from Oregon, his brother joins the squad next year, and his family isn't financially destitute or anything). 

Until I hear specifically from Herbert, Oregon, or someone in Herberts camp that he's going back to school, I'm assuming that he is going to come out. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:50 PM, Forge said:

That was the most recent scuttle, but that stuff is never reliable. While there are certainly players have eschewed the draft when they appeared to be locks to go at the top of the first, I'm always somewhat surprised when it happens, and I never expect it. The most recent report I heard was that he was "far more likely" to return to school. That being said, similar things were said last year about Darnold, and it flipped back and forth. Secondarily, that report was given from JLC based on talk with player agents, so I'm never trusting that, but he does make some valid points (IE, Herbert is from Oregon, his brother joins the squad next year, and his family isn't financially destitute or anything). 

Until I hear specifically from Herbert, Oregon, or someone in Herberts camp that he's going back to school, I'm assuming that he is going to come out. 

If Herbert gets given a Rd1 grade by the Draft Advisory Board, he's coming out.   He's not going to be the top QB in the 2020, Tua and probably even Fromm will leapfrog him, ahead of others.   He has a great shot to be the top QB..even with his warts.   Nothing is a lock, but there are so few guys who turn that down nowadays.  The spectre of Matt Leinart, and frankly, the injury risk of lost earnings, has really change college player thinking, and I don't blame them one bit.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:58 PM, CerealKiller said:

How much of Jordan Ta'amu is his receivers making him look good

A decent amount of it, the receivers and the system help him a great deal I feel.  Not to mention arguably the best LT in college in Greg Little, well 2nd best.  Ta'amu has been not accurate at times this year and missed some throws and was way off, but has a nice strong arm, decent in the pocket and I think he could be a nice project QB pickup in the late rounds of the draft potentially.  He has enough arm talent to get a look for sure.  Even with Metcalf out Lodge and Brown still rip it up and Moore the freshman looks like a future star WR for that team, and they are running it very well with Phillips.  That Ole Miss defense is just freaking awful though, hard to respect them as a program with such a crap A defense.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A decent amount of it, the receivers and the system help him a great deal I feel.  Not to mention arguably the best LT in college in Greg Little, well 2nd best.  Ta'amu has been not accurate at times this year and missed some throws and was way off, but has a nice strong arm, decent in the pocket and I think he could be a nice project QB pickup in the late rounds of the draft potentially.  He has enough arm talent to get a look for sure.  Even with Metcalf out Lodge and Brown still rip it up and Moore the freshman looks like a future star WR for that team, and they are running it very well with Phillips.  That Ole Miss defense is just freaking awful though, hard to respect them as a program with such a crap A defense.  

Nobody has him on any big board, looking at all the video of those receivers and the guy grew on me

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Just saw that Shea Patterson and Dwayne Haskins are going to declare. Given the lack of elite talent at QB, could either of these guys go top 5?

Where did you see that?  If Patterson declares I would be shocked, he has not even had that great of a season.  As for Haskins I think he is still crazy raw and needs more work on his game, he is a product of being surrounded by the best WR core in the nation.  I would take Grier, Herbert or Finley over both of those two at this point.  Possibly even Lock as well.

Top 5?  Honestly no QB right now eligible for the draft deserves a top 5 selection based on talent alone.  These guys below are all more proven prospects I feel at this point then any QB who can declare for the draft.  Grier I like over any QB available for the draft, and even with him I would not taken him over these guys, especial those in the top 10.

Ed Oliver Houston DT JR
Nick Bosa Ohio State DE JR
Quinnen Williams Alabama DT/DE RS SOPH
Dexter Lawrence Clemson DT JR
Jonah Williams Alabama OT JR
Raekwon Davis Alabama DE/DT JR
Andraez Williams LSU CB RS SOPH
Devin White LSU ILB JR

Greg Little Ole Miss OT JR  
Christian Wilkins Clemson DT SR
Rashan Gary Michigan DE JR
Deandre Baker Georgia CB JR  

Clelin Ferrell Clemson DE RS JR 
Josh Allen Kentucky OLB SR

Derrick Brown Auburn NT JR
Zach Allen Boston College DE SR
Jeffery Simmons Miss State DT JR

Devin Bush Michigan ILB JR
Brian Burns Florida State OLB JR

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Will see what happens, if Patterson does leave just because he thinks he cannot beat out McCaffrey that is kind of sad, but would be sweet because McCaffrey should play ASAP.  Honestly though not that many teams are in complete total need or desperate want of a QB.  

Giants
Jacksonville
Miami

Everyone else either has a young guy in the works or has a accomplished starter to some degree.  I guess you could throw the Bills on there but they have Josh Allen of course so they would not want another young rookie but who knows.  And the Bucs have a situation but they have two accomplished starters and I am sure will pick one at some point.  But for these guys to leave because of being scared about Tua?  Tua will be the #1 pick overall most likely in 2020 regardless, after that it is up in the air and Fromm being this lock star high pick is a question mark as well, especially if Eason plays well on Washington or if Ehlinger keeps progressing like he has.  And Haskins has a much better chance at being a super high pick to me in 2020 anyway but who knows.  Still I would say there is proven talent out there that is higher than the incoming QB group even with Haskins or Patterson.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Will see what happens, if Patterson does leave just because he thinks he cannot beat out McCaffrey that is kind of sad, but would be sweet because McCaffrey should play ASAP.  Honestly though not that many teams are in complete total need or desperate want of a QB.  

Giants
Jacksonville
Miami

Everyone else either has a young guy in the works or has a accomplished starter to some degree.  I guess you could throw the Bills on there but they have Josh Allen of course so they would not want another young rookie but who knows.  And the Bucs have a situation but they have two accomplished starters and I am sure will pick one at some point.  But for these guys to leave because of being scared about Tua?  Tua will be the #1 pick overall most likely in 2020 regardless, after that it is up in the air and Fromm being this lock star high pick is a question mark as well, especially if Eason plays well on Washington or if Ehlinger keeps progressing like he has.  And Haskins has a much better chance at being a super high pick to me in 2020 anyway but who knows.  Still I would say there is proven talent out there that is higher than the incoming QB group even with Haskins or Patterson.

Shea has pretty much always been considered a one and done at Michigan. I think he's long seen himself as an early entrant.

He would beat out McCaffrey for sure with how he's run the offense, but I doubt he's coming back.

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Can someone explain to me the hype behind Daniel Jones?

His build is probably the most impressive part.  He has such a thick firm base, big tall kid which everyone likes.  Is a decent athlete, can move around at times as well, is not a total statue back there.  Actually moves surprisingly well for how big he is.  Has good ball skills as well in terms of play fakes and has a solid arm.  I do not feel he should come out early for the draft this year, still needs to work a little more but has progressed this year and should be even better potentially next season.  

He has almost ideal size for the position, can take a hit and run away from pressure.  There is a ton to work with there, and he is smart and plays for a great coach that gets QBs ready for the NFL.