2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

Haskins' demolition of UM.:

The only major flaw I see is inconsistent spin on the spiral as the ball leaves his hand. Some times the ball will wobble slightly ala Eli Manning. He is Aaron rodgers with more athleticism.

Maybe as a prospect, but the Aaron Rodgers as an NFL player comparison seems way too high. He's good, but I'd still take Herbert, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, and Josh Allen over him if they were all lumped into a draft together. I wouldn't hesitate to take Haskins with my 1st round pick, I just thought those other guys were a little better and more polished.

btw, I was a big Josh Allen supporter, so roast me. (Bills fans, is he playing well? Haven't really paid attention...)

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

The only major flaw I see is inconsistent spin on the spiral as the ball leaves his hand. Some times the ball will wobble slightly ala Eli Manning. He is Aaron rodgers with more athleticism.

He's literally nothing like Aaron Rodgers.  Nothing.  And watch how much of his production comes in short, underneath routes.  A TON of his production against Michigan came that way.  The scheme is definitely making him look better than he is.  The tools are nice, but in terms of prospect value he's not a 1st round pick.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Where would people rank Justin Herbert, the consensus #1 potential 2019 QB, among last year's big 4 of Baker, Darnold, Allen and Rosen? Hit me with a top 5 of them as prospects.

I'd have Darnold and Rosen clearly ahead of Herbert, but Herbert would probably be 3rd followed by Mayfield.  Allen clearly is the last of the bunch.

Dwayne seems like the kind of prospect that if he was drafted in the late first by a team like New Orleans (too bad they don't have a pick), New England, Pittsburgh, or Los Angeles, could use some time to get the experience that he needs and step in after one of those other great QBs retires. If you throw him into the fire right away, I don't see that ending well. He struggles against pressure and isn't all that athletic, with a sloppy throwing motion at points and super clean other times (I don't know why this is the case). He does have a great arm, is very accurate, and does well as a whole going through his progressions. If given time, he can make you pay. He's also in a VERY weak QB class as a whole, so I'm betting on him leaving and probably getting over-drafted. Going to a team like JAX would be about worst case scenario for him though.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:30 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Haskins...lol. If he does declare, I wonder which franchise will put their blind faith in him. My guess is NYG. Far too raw, I'd barely even consider him an actual QB at this stage. Needs 2 or 3 years behind someone. 

ok you clearly havent watched anything

• Like 1

This year’s class is so iffy at the top - but the need just got so much greater.  No way Alex Smith plays even half a season with that injury and no guarantee he is close to the same that’s not a simple recovery.   And we all know JAX needs QB so badly.   And neither team can really afford to go FA after Bridgewater.   So draft is really their only route.  

As iffy as the top of the draft class is, it wouldn’t shock me to see a 2011 draft (without Cam) where 3 guys get taken out of need and projection in the first 15 picks.    NYG, JAX, WAS & if they part ways with Carr, OAK - are all under the microscope.  DEN will be as well but I doubt we pick in top 15 as our improbable last 2 W’s have us in 8-8 territory and likely mid-late teens pick.   I suspect we may dive in later but not Rd1 anymore.  

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This year’s class is so iffy at the top - but the need just got so much greater.  No way Alex Smith plays even half a season with that injury and no guarantee he is close to the same that’s not a simple recovery.   And we all know JAX needs QB so badly.   And neither team can really afford to go FA after Bridgewater.   So draft is really their only route.  

As iffy as the top of the draft class is, it wouldn’t shock me to see a 2011 draft (without Cam) where 3 guys get taken out of need and projection in the first 15 picks.    NYG, JAX, WAS & if they part ways with Carr, OAK - are all under the microscope.  DEN will be as well but I doubt we pick in top 15 as our improbable last 2 W’s have us in 8-8 territory and likely mid-late teens pick.   I suspect we may dive in later but not Rd1 anymore.  

Are there enough QB prospects to see that happen especially if Herbert ends up returning to Oregon?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Are there enough QB prospects to see that happen especially if Herbert ends up returning to Oregon?

Will Grier & Daniel Jones come to mind.  I’m still working on assumption that Herbert declares.   Even Haskins could declare.  

I don’t know that any of them excite me for Rd1 even Herbert - after so much promise and last year’s success he’s really underwhelmed.   Last year I was all about DEN picking as high as possible to get a shot at the big 4.   Was crushed when we passed (even though Chubb has been good it’s just not worth passing on franchise QB).   And Keenum has predictably regressed (shocker).  

But this year we would be making a bigger mistake if a QB got selected Rd1.   The reach-for-need spectre seems so huge in this class.   Pass.   Even if it means we suck at QB for 1 more year.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Will Grier & Daniel Jones come to mind.  I’m still working on assumption that Herbert declares.   Even Haskins could declare.  

I don’t know that any of them excite me for Rd1 even Herbert - after so much promise and last year’s success he’s really underwhelmed.   Last year I was all about DEN picking as high as possible to get a shot at the big 4.   Was crushed when we passed (even though Chubb has been good it’s just not worth passing on franchise QB).   And Keenum has preferably regressed (shocker).  But we would be making a bigger mistake if a QB got selected Rd1.   The reach-for-need spectre seems so huge in this class.   Pass.   

I believe 2011 was the first year the rookie salary cap came into play.  We've had 25 QBs go in the first round since 2011, which is an average of 3.6 QBs taken in the first round.  We've seen as many as 5 QBs (2018) in the first round and as few as 1 QB (2013) taken.  If you look at the number of QBs drafted in the top 15, that average drops 2.7 although part of me believes that is inflated by the 2011 class.  If you exclude that class, you're looking at an average of 2.5 QBs so not a huge discrepancy.  But let's look at the current top 15.

San Francisco - Nope (Jimmy G)
Arizona - Nope (Josh Rosen)
Oakland - Probably Not (Derek Carr)
NY Jets - Nope (Sam Darnold)
NY Giants - Probably
Jacksonville - Probably
Atlanta - Nope (Matt Ryan)
Detroit - Probably Not (Matthew Stafford)
Buffalo - Nope (Josh Allen)
Tampa Bay - Probably
Green Bay - Nope (Aaron Rodgers)
Cleveland - Nope (Baker Mayfield)
Miami - Probably
Denver - Probably
Philadelphia - Nope (Carson Wentz)

So realistically speaking, you've got 5 teams who are interested in QBs that are currently slotted inside the top 15.  Whoever picks the highest of NY Giants and Jacksonville takes Herbert, but the other probably doesn't take a QB.  So you're getting into that Tampa Bay/Miami/Denver tier of teams who need a QB.  Denver has shown a willingness to pass on a QB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they passed again.  Miami probably could get through with Tannehill for another year, and Gase probably doesn't want a rookie QB either.  Tampa Bay seems ready to move on from Winston.  I suppose it's possible, I just don't think it's likely.  If we don't have that run of QBs, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw teams like New England, LA Chargers, and Pittsburgh look to draft their QBOTF though.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I believe 2011 was the first year the rookie salary cap came into play.  We've had 25 QBs go in the first round since 2011, which is an average of 3.6 QBs taken in the first round.  We've seen as many as 5 QBs (2018) in the first round and as few as 1 QB (2013) taken.  If you look at the number of QBs drafted in the top 15, that average drops 2.7 although part of me believes that is inflated by the 2011 class.  If you exclude that class, you're looking at an average of 2.5 QBs so not a huge discrepancy.  But let's look at the current top 15.

San Francisco - Nope (Jimmy G)
Arizona - Nope (Josh Rosen)
Oakland - Probably Not (Derek Carr)
NY Jets - Nope (Sam Darnold)
NY Giants - Probably
Jacksonville - Probably
Atlanta - Nope (Matt Ryan)
Detroit - Probably Not (Matthew Stafford)
Buffalo - Nope (Josh Allen)
Tampa Bay - Probably
Green Bay - Nope (Aaron Rodgers)
Cleveland - Nope (Baker Mayfield)
Miami - Probably
Denver - Probably
Philadelphia - Nope (Carson Wentz)

So realistically speaking, you've got 5 teams who are interested in QBs that are currently slotted inside the top 15.  Whoever picks the highest of NY Giants and Jacksonville takes Herbert, but the other probably doesn't take a QB.  So you're getting into that Tampa Bay/Miami/Denver tier of teams who need a QB.  Denver has shown a willingness to pass on a QB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they passed again.  Miami probably could get through with Tannehill for another year, and Gase probably doesn't want a rookie QB either.  Tampa Bay seems ready to move on from Winston.  I suppose it's possible, I just don't think it's likely.  If we don't have that run of QBs, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw teams like New England, LA Chargers, and Pittsburgh look to draft their QBOTF though.

I don’t see Tampa parting ways with Winston.  At least not until after 2019. The owners really support him.  If they were thinking to part ways they would have kept him benched to avoid the 2019 option guaranteeing for injury. 

FWIW I think Gruden will use the 2 later 1sts to get “his guy”.  He’s thrown Carr under the bus too many times to think otherwise.   Carr gets traded and he uses the pick capital to get QB in the teens (either DAL ends up there or he moves up).  I’m calling the OAK shot.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

ok you clearly havent watched anything

Yeah I have. Great stats...looks amazing on paper.

Poor footwork, slow to read through progressions, has these drives where everything looks not-right (consistency is an issue), accuracy isn't great (placement), not actually that fast (predicted high 4.7s), one of the best environments in football (good receivers etc). Good arm strength though.

Are you a Buckeye fan?

Edited by Hunter2_1

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I have. Great stats...looks amazing on paper.

Poor footwork, slow to read through progressions, has these drives where everything looks not-right (consistency is an issue), accuracy isn't great (placement), not actually that fast (predicted high 4.7s), one of the best environments in football (good receivers etc). Good arm strength though.

Are you a Buckeye fan?

I am not a Buckeye fan at all and this is ridiculous. His footwork is average. No better or worse than Darnold's, who was everyone's favorite QB last year. He is actually excellent at reading through progressions when his first read isn't there. The offense allows him to make a lot of predetermined throws, but when the initial read isn't there, he does a great job of scanning the field at each level and completing the pass. The accuracy thing is hilarious. He's extremely accurate and has tremendous ball placement. This is probably his best attribute. And nobody is calling him fast. You don't need to be fast at the QB position. He's plenty fast enough to escape and make a play with his legs. He has an excellent arm. And you can't freaking discount the QB because he's got good weapons around him. So do a lot of other QB's that absolutely suck.

And I'm not even calling for him to be a #1 pick franchise QB or anything. But your claim that he's barely a QB is freaking terrible and you should feel bad about it.