2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

5 hours ago, lod01 said:

Man, that is nothing. Take a look at this one where I wipe the mat with the clowns that thought Winston was an NFL QB. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=563913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Let's not go down a road of pulling up threads, especially from the old board, just to try and stick out chests out. We don't bump threads just to say I told you so.

Secondarily, we don't call posters names. That includes "clowns". 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Let's not go down a road of pulling up threads, especially from the old board, just to try and stick out chests out. We don't bump threads just to say I told you so.

Secondarily, we don't call posters names. That includes "clowns". 

I mean, if we're willing to do this, let's call up all the threads where we've been wrong.   No one is going to be perfect.   I mean, if someone wants to tout their only hit, then it's fair game to bring up the misses, but otherwise, we should work with the understanding we aren't getting it all right.  It does little to foster constructive disagreement if we're going to play that game.   We're all better than that.

I say the above as a guy who didn't think Baker was a good 1.1 pick and Allen's profile scared me away from the top 10 without losing any sleep.   While I still firmly believe Darnold & Rosen & Lamar will all be worth the picks, it's fair to say I was too hard on Baker.   But that's kinda the point - we learn from the process, and get better.   Well, that is, unless you're John Elway and Gary Kubiak, in which case, carry on dudes, clearly your methods of evaluating QB's don't need to change. O.o

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I mean, if we're willing to do this, let's call up all the threads where we've been wrong.   No one is going to be perfect.   I mean, if someone wants to tout their only hit, then it's fair game to bring up the misses, but otherwise, we should work with the understanding we aren't getting it all right.  It does little to foster constructive disagreement if we're going to play that game.   We're all better than that.

I say the above as a guy who didn't think Baker was a good 1.1 pick and Allen's profile scared me away from the top 10 without losing any sleep.   While I still firmly believe Darnold & Rosen & Lamar will all be worth the picks, it's fair to say I was too hard on Baker.   But that's kinda the point - we learn from the process, and get better.   Well, that is, unless you're John Elway and Gary Kubiak, in which case, carry on dudes, clearly your methods of evaluating QB's don't need to change. O.o

Should have listened to me B|

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

but he may be the most immediate impact rookie QB we have seen in decades.

Man, the hyperbole for Mayfield is insane. No, he's not. Andrew Luck was just 2012. He took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and the playoffs. The year before that you had Cam. 

Even Winston I would argue was a comparable impact his rookie season. He threw for 22 touchdowns, 4k yards, led the team to 6 wins following a 2 win season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

No, he's not. Andrew Luck was just 2012. He took a 2-14 team to 11-5 and the playoffs. The year before that you had Cam. 

Even Winston I would argue was a comparable impact his rookie season. He threw for 22 touchdowns, 4k yards. 

Recency bias definitely applies here - Winston's year 2 and year 3 underwhelmed so much, people forget how good it was especially on a horrible team.    Because year 2-3 were disappointments, the recall on year 1's performance goes down.   

And yes, Cam & Luck carried their teams all the way to the playoffs, and I think we know how flawed those teams were.  

• Like 1

Okay, my memory was very Sooner colored. I had forgotten those two were 2012...thought they were longer ago than that. "Decades" was definitely overboard.

However, I am probably overreacting due to the many that were typing things like "since when has a Big 12 QB been relevant in the NFL?" Well now there are at least two: Mahomes and Mayfield.

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

However, I am probably overreacting due to the many that were typing things like "since when has a Big 12 QB been relevant in the NFL?" Well now there are at least two: Mahomes and Mayfield.

Assuming that this was a dig at me, since I have mentioned this several times in the past, though I don't know why you bring it up, or what you think this does for conversation or your point since at the time, this was absolutely true, especially since I said this before either of those two played a meaningful snap in the NFL. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Assuming that this was a dig at me, since I have mentioned this several times in the past, though I don't know why you bring it up, or what you think this does for conversation or your point since at the time, this was absolutely true, especially since I said this before either of those two played a meaningful snap in the NFL. 

Actually, I couldn't remember who said it. Don't care, either.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:28 PM, lod01 said:

Man, that is nothing. Take a look at this one where I wipe the mat with the clowns that thought Winston was an NFL QB. 

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=563913&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120

Yep. I’ve told bucs fans since the draft process and yet they still love him and think he’s elite or something lol 😂 

some just love mediocrity but re reading your posts, the glazers will make it a priority for the next coach to keep him. 

On 11/29/2018 at 4:35 PM, Activated10 said:

I'm not fan of Fromm, I think he's 3rd-4th Rd pick and will be beaten from Justin Fields who's much more talented QB next year and which he'll be forced to transfer. If Hawkins and Huebert come back then that DC of QBs will be special 

Well, the jury's going to be out on Fromm's ultimate draft stock, but I think we can safely say he's going to be the guy in Georgia next year:

Pretty clear Fields was told he was sitting another year...so he decided to go elsewhere.  Sounds like OSU is the frontrunner, easy transition if Haskins leaves after 2019 (as I doubt Georgia will not grant him a waiver lol and he'll have to sit a year like Eason did at WAS).

On 2018-12-18 at 12:04 PM, Broncofan said:

Well, the jury's going to be out on Fromm's ultimate draft stock, but I think we can safely say he's going to be the guy in Georgia next year:

Pretty clear Fields was told he was sitting another year...so he decided to go elsewhere.  Sounds like OSU is the frontrunner, easy transition if Haskins leaves after 2019 (as I doubt Georgia will not grant him a waiver lol and he'll have to sit a year like Eason did at WAS).

Fields was a fool for going to Georgia if he truly thought he was gonna start over freshman who lead his team to national title. Should of went Oklahoma, sit behind Murray for a year and then dominate. His skillset with Lincoln Riley would of been ridiculous 

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins and Will Grier this year.

What's their projected draft position right now?

If Haskins declares, he's likely the first QB off the board.  I know there will be people that will argue vehemently against that, but I held the same position on Cam when he was a draft prospect and for the same reason - if the guy with the athleticism upside to trump every peer in the class shows you he's at least functional in being able to run your offense Year 1, the majority of teams needing a franchise QB are going to take that guy.

Grier strikes me as an Andy Dalton type - his limitations are apparent, but they don't necessarily hold him back from being a starter-caliber player, however they may ultimately limit his upside in terms of how outstanding (versus his peers) of a starter he'll ever consistently be.  And the Andy Dalton comp may, for me at least, be his "most favorable" comp; if he misses hitting certain benchmarks in his development, he's looking at Christian Ponder territory.  But, as we saw with Ponder, if there's a run on QB's in a weak class, we can often see guys who are far more Day 2 prospects because they lack the upside get dragged into the 1st because of scarcity.

Daniel Jones is likely the biggest beneficiary (definitely debatable that you could make a case for that being Haskins) in terms of likely jump in where he's selected of Herbert going back.  He's likely gone from being the guy that the playoff teams with aging QB's scout heavily and consider at the bottom of the 1st to having an absolute floor of the Giants' 2nd round pick, with a better than even chance to still sneak into the 1st (and if it were me, I'd probably roll the dice on him over Grier, but I'd still keep my expectations of how high he could soar as a starter to probably that Matt Ryan range (certainly capable if everything lines up ideally of stringing together an MVP/Top 3 QB season, but consistently probably more likely to settle into that 8-15 range in terms of starters in the league while fully capable of having seasons that are bottom 10 when the crap hits the fan).  I still think that if he declares for the draft, Kyler Murray gets picked ahead of Jones; this is a copycat league and with the early success the Baker and Lamar Jackson have had, as well as the sustained success Russ has had - teams are going to be willing to forgive prototypical size/height as long as the player ticks all the other boxes and interviews well.

• Like 1