2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

2 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Has no one watched Haskins yet 😂 

Anyone mentioning drafting Haskins for his athleticism shows they’re uninformed 

He would’ve been the best passer in the draft had Herbert had stayed in. 

Haskins is/was easily QB1 for me as well had Herbert declared.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

No, just no.  Most of his throws are on short, underneath crossing routes or dump off in the backfield.  He doesn't really consistently push the ball down the field, and in terms of reading the defense he's essentially just trying to find the open man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No, just no.  Most of his throws are on short, underneath crossing routes or dump off in the backfield.  He doesn't really consistently push the ball down the field, and in terms of reading the defense he's essentially just trying to find the open man.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO 

Cmon FF y’all better than this 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

To clarify my position my saying "ceiling" =/= athleticism.  Cam's ceiling was due to his athleticism.  Haskins' comes from other areas.  But it's still ceiling which is a major, MAJOR selling point to teams taking chances on drafting a franchise QB high in the 1st round.

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

Edumacate me about Haskins as a passer. Do you believe in him at the the pro level? Can he save the Giants or Jaguars?

Edited by PapaShogun

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's called taking what a defense gives you, duh.... And he does push the ball down field, he just waits for the right opportunities, there are plenty of deep shots from him. Why criticize him for taking what the defense gives him, plus he takes plenty of chances and fits the ball right on the numbers bro. Like have you watched ANY games on him? He answers pretty much all of your criticisms through extensive film study. Elite accuracy, anticipation field vision, and arm talent.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Edumacate me about Haskins as a passer. Do you believe in him at the the pro level? Can he save the Giants or Jaguars?

Pretty easily especially the Giants, their offense would be dynamic, Jax needs a WR/TE overhaul but can be successful.Go watch extensive games and you can project the same 

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

It's called taking what a defense gives you, duh.... And he does push the ball down field, he just waits for the right opportunities, there are plenty of deep shots from him. Why criticize him for taking what the defense gives him, plus he takes plenty of chances and fits the ball right on the numbers bro. Like have you watched ANY games on him? He answers pretty much all of your criticisms through extensive film study. Elite accuracy, anticipation field vision, and arm talent.

Except that isn't the case.  It's a pre-designated throw.  It was one of the red flags with regards to Blaine Gabbert (and before someone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying he's going to be Gabbert).  He really doesn't do a good job of looking off the safety regularly.  He does it occasionally, but nowhere near enough to make me feel comfortable that's a trait he has.  You have to give credit to the Ohio State coaching staff, they put him in a position to succeed.  But there's a reason why he's not being in held in the same regard you have him.  He's a good prospect, but he's not a great prospect by any means.

Not his best game, which makes the breakdown just a bit more interesting.

0:07 - Does a good job of looking away from the RB screen, but the throw and touch is awful.  The RB has to completely flip around to catch the ball and that ball should be thrown towards the RB's left shoulder, not back at the right shoulder.  If there's a defender near there, you're running the risk of the ball being intercepted or taken out of the RBs hands.
0:22 - Does a good job keeping his eyes down the field, but takes the soft underneath in the zone coverage.  If you watch the replay, it was a designed route combination where 83 takes the boundary corner out of the picture so it should leave the numbers to the sideline open.
0:55 - Camera angle isn't very good on this one, had the WR out of the break and that should have easily been a 15+ yard completion.  Hard to tell if this was on the WR or Haskins, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Haskins on this one.
1:12 - Honestly, this one scares me the most.  There's starting to get penetration, and his footwork goes to crap.  Sidesteps more than steps into the throw and leads to a really bad throw.  WR was wide open and he missed him badly.
1:34 - Literally stared down his slot receiver (21?) the entire time.  Lucky there wasn't a play made on the ball.
1:51 - Really, really bad footwork leads to bad throw which makes it hard for the WR to catch.
2:01 - Doesn't even try and look away from where he's going, he's locked on his WR hard here.  WR was probably interfered with on this one, but there's no attempt to go anywhere else.
2:28 - Great job looking down the field, but doesn't feel that backside pressure coming from the corner blitz.
2:50 - Again, stares down his receiver doesn't even attempt to come off of it.

That's just a small portion of the game.  We could keep going, but it's not really going to change.  He's not an elite QB prospect by any means.  He's got enough tools that you'll give him a chance, and he's going to go higher than he probably should.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except that isn't the case.  It's a pre-designated throw.  It was one of the red flags with regards to Blaine Gabbert (and before someone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying he's going to be Gabbert).  He really doesn't do a good job of looking off the safety regularly.  He does it occasionally, but nowhere near enough to make me feel comfortable that's a trait he has.  You have to give credit to the Ohio State coaching staff, they put him in a position to succeed.  But there's a reason why he's not being in held in the same regard you have him.  He's a good prospect, but he's not a great prospect by any means.

Not his best game, which makes the breakdown just a bit more interesting.

0:07 - Does a good job of looking away from the RB screen, but the throw and touch is awful.  The RB has to completely flip around to catch the ball and that ball should be thrown towards the RB's left shoulder, not back at the right shoulder.  If there's a defender near there, you're running the risk of the ball being intercepted or taken out of the RBs hands.
0:22 - Does a good job keeping his eyes down the field, but takes the soft underneath in the zone coverage.  If you watch the replay, it was a designed route combination where 83 takes the boundary corner out of the picture so it should leave the numbers to the sideline open.
0:55 - Camera angle isn't very good on this one, had the WR out of the break and that should have easily been a 15+ yard completion.  Hard to tell if this was on the WR or Haskins, I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Haskins on this one.
1:12 - Honestly, this one scares me the most.  There's starting to get penetration, and his footwork goes to crap.  Sidesteps more than steps into the throw and leads to a really bad throw.  WR was wide open and he missed him badly.
1:34 - Literally stared down his slot receiver (21?) the entire time.  Lucky there wasn't a play made on the ball.
1:51 - Really, really bad footwork leads to bad throw which makes it hard for the WR to catch.
2:01 - Doesn't even try and look away from where he's going, he's locked on his WR hard here.  WR was probably interfered with on this one, but there's no attempt to go anywhere else.
2:28 - Great job looking down the field, but doesn't feel that backside pressure coming from the corner blitz.
2:50 - Again, stares down his receiver doesn't even attempt to come off of it.

That's just a small portion of the game.  We could keep going, but it's not really going to change.  He's not an elite QB prospect by any means.  He's got enough tools that you'll give him a chance, and he's going to go higher than he probably should.

Yeah, he is and will be lauded come combine time. All pre-designated is is knowing (through motions) what the defense is in and instantaneously knowing where to go with the ball, nothing at all wrong with that. I just see nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Yes he is a first year starter and has things to clean up but he even in his inexperience has shown more than guys have who were 3+ year starters. That = tremendous upside in my book

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No argument?  Cool.

The argument is that you are wrong. He does consistently push the ball down the field with accuracy. It's not like he's checking down for 3 yard gains all game long. He's got a rifle and shows accuracy with it. It sounds like you watched the Michigan game and thought, "oh, he can't throw deep." I have watched every OSU game this year (that mattered) and he was magnificent at all levels of the field. It's a very weak argument and I can already tell you haven't watched very many games of his.

The game plan against Michigan was to pick the crap out of their garbage man coverage corners and get wide open lanes underneath. I'm not going to bash a QB for executing a picture-perfect game plan against a good defense just because he wasn't throwing moon balls out there. In just about every other game this season he's been laser accurate at all levels of the field and even moreso deep and into the endzone.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

The argument is that you are wrong. He does consistently push the ball down the field with accuracy. It's not like he's checking down for 3 yard gains all game long. He's got a rifle and shows accuracy with it. It sounds like you watched the Michigan game and thought, "oh, he can't throw deep." I have watched every OSU game this year (that mattered) and he was magnificent at all levels of the field. It's a very weak argument and I can already tell you haven't watched very many games of his.

The game plan against Michigan was to pick the crap out of their garbage man coverage corners and get wide open lanes underneath. I'm not going to bash a QB for executing a picture-perfect game plan against a good defense just because he wasn't throwing moon balls out there. In just about every other game this season he's been laser accurate at all levels of the field and even moreso deep and into the endzone.

Thank you 

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, he is and will be lauded come combine time. All pre-designated is is knowing (through motions) what the defense is in and instantaneously knowing where to go with the ball, nothing at all wrong with that. I just see nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. Yes he is a first year starter and has things to clean up but he even in his inexperience has shown more than guys have who were 3+ year starters. That = tremendous upside in my book

Great analysis there.  You call it nitpicking, I see someone who refuses to be critical.  This isn't a guy whose been on the prospect map for the past 2-3 years and has been analyzed to death, much like Sam Darnold was last year.  He's got legitimate question marks whether or not you refuse to admit it.  He's interesting in that he doesn't have any fatal flaws, but he's certainly not an elite prospect by any means.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Honestly, if you're solely using the Michigan game to digest him you're not really using enough games to really get a good idea of what he is.  You need at least a 3-4 game sample size, and you want some of the games in which he performed poorly.  So if you're entire argument is hinged around the Michigan game, I'm not really going to go into it further until you watch a few more games.

And no, I didn't say he doesn't throw it deep.  I said he doesn't do it consistently.  Whether it be the game plan, conservative play calling, or reluctance to throw the ball down the field, it seems that most of his throws are in the short-to-intermediate (5-15 yards past the LOS).  He does a great job of executing the game plan, and you give him credit for that.  But LIS, he doesn't consistently look off the defensive players.