2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

17 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- I've been all in on Drew Lock for a while 

- Only a matter of time before Clayton Thorson gets his due hype

- HOT TAKE: Don't be surprised if Dwayne Haskins is a huge riser by the end of the year as a rSoph prospect.

I am actually banking on this one from catching a glimpse of him last season after Barrett went down.

• Like 2

man, I'm wondering what some people are seeing in Drew Lock. Obviously he could made some strides this season, but I've seen him hyped as a first rounder some place and am not seeing that.

He'll make the occasional really nice deep throw, but seems to have some serious issues with staring down receivers, misses more throws than you'd like, and despite seemingly ample arm strength his throws seem to not have great velocity. Not a fan from what I've seen thus far

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

42ab91c5b81d270cffb805b6d3821fbe

Don’t you dare @ me

Khalil Tate is a great athlete but is not a NFL prospect at QB.  He is really fun to watch but position change at the next level most likely unless he greatly improves his passing ability.  His running did tail off at the end of last season, hopefully he can correct that because obviously all teams will be focusing on that first.  

On 5/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ragnarok said:

I really like Thorson.  Good size, arm, and build.  Doesn't have the best stats, but he might be surrounded by a worse team than Josh Allen had at Wyoming.

From watching him play, he does nothing for me.  Has the measureables you want, but just hasn't put it together.  And it's not fair to say he's surrounded by a bad team.  Northwestern has had 27 wins the last three years while playing in the Big Ten.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

From watching him play, he does nothing for me.  Has the measureables you want, but just hasn't put it together.  And it's not fair to say he's surrounded by a bad team.  Northwestern has had 27 wins the last three years while playing in the Big Ten.

How many legit NFL prospects have they had over that time? I believe the only guy they had drafted this year was Justin Jackson, in the 7th round. Last year, they had 2 guys picked, rounds 5 and 7. The year before that, they also had 2, in rounds 4 and 6. By big 10 standards, I'd say that they are a little talent deficient, so the fact that they have been so competitive speaks highly of Fitzgerald as coach, and possibly Thorson as quarterback. To me, Thorson has a better lack of talent argument than Josh Allen did given the competition he regularly plays and the production he puts out.  

That being said, I do agree that there's something that just appears to be missing when watching him play. I see a guy you can absolutely work with, but nothing that has me super excited either, which is a little odd. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

How many legit NFL prospects have they had over that time? I believe the only guy they had drafted this year was Justin Jackson, in the 7th round. Last year, they had 2 guys picked, rounds 5 and 7. The year before that, they also had 2, in rounds 4 and 6. By big 10 standards, I'd say that they are a little talent deficient, so the fact that they have been so competitive speaks highly of Fitzgerald as coach, and possibly Thorson as quarterback. To me, Thorson has a better lack of talent argument than Josh Allen did given the competition he regularly plays and the production he puts out.  

That being said, I do agree that there's something that just appears to be missing when watching him play. I see a guy you can absolutely work with, but nothing that has me super excited either, which is a little odd. 

Yeah, that's fair.  Why I hope he falls.   I'd think about him as an early 2nd rounder to target (and sure, move up to the 1st for that 5th year option like with L-Jax).    But the thought of spending a first on any of these guys is terrifying (and I'm one who thought DEN should have gone Rosen 1.5, so it's not like I'm a QB nihilist - I just want ones with franchise ceilings and reasonably safe floors, and some amount of predictability - which is why I like the guys with the accuracy / placement / anticipation / throw guy open skills the most), especially since the strength of the 2019 draft doesn't look like QB.

It's early, but it's pretty clear 2019's top-end talent is about the trenches - pass rushers, DL, and T's.   And that's the foundation to winning along with the franchise QB.  I don't see anyone who speaks to me the same way now as Rosen/Darnold did then.  That means that even if 1-2 do show up - they have more risk, and even though 2018 cost a fair bit to move up to get the top 4, the price to get the top 1-2 guys is likely to be even higher, because of supply/demand.   And I don't think it comes with the same level of ceiling or floor, but lower.   I don't want to pass on a franchise QB ever, but I also don't want to over-reach on a guy who isn't really a franchise QB ceiling-guy - but a guy who's best in a weak top-end class.  That's my fear right now, and it matters with DEN using a stopgap QB at best for 2 years (or who busts outright in less-than-ideal playing conditions that MIN provided). Ugh.

Edited by Broncofan

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It'll be interesting to see if Ohio State forces Haskins into a run-heavy role.

I'd be betting on a very similar system that they implemented with Cardale Jones in 2014. A lot of true runs from RB's instead of QB options (inside zone, counter, trap, etc.), in a downfield passing attack and an occasional QB run in certain situations, but more or less where he can use his athleticism (not a true running QB) outside of the pocket to make plays with his arm or occasionally scramble for a first down. He's just athletic enough as to if you don't account for him, he'll hurt you with a scramble, but not athletic as to where you want him to run the ball more than 6-8 times a game.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Go look up Austin Carr's cut up against tOSU when they had Lattimore, Conley,Malik Hooker and Ward. I was super impressed how Thorson handled himself in that game against elite defenders. He made a lot of big boy throws.

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Probably not, with Weber and Dobbins, they will go heavy run and use Martell as the short yardage running QB option, or run it but nowhere as much as Barrett. Haskins is a PP, he has very little athleticism.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Haskins isnt much of a runner. They're better off running with JK Dobbins, Mike Weber, and (eventually/maybe this year) Master Teague. 

On 5/5/2018 at 6:29 PM, Ragnarok said:

I really like Thorson.  Good size, arm, and build.  Doesn't have the best stats, but he might be surrounded by a worse team than Josh Allen had at Wyoming.

You say that like Josh Allen didn't play with multiple NFL talents at Wyoming. 

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Oh, you've been studying I see....

You know ?

He's got the potential to be the best of the bunch. Not fair to add him to that group and add Brian Snead as well. OSU shouldn't have any worries in the run game or be forced to rely on QB runs, the RB's are too talented for that. 

• Like 1