AlNFL19

2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

On 1/2/2019 at 10:52 PM, Counselor said:

Recently scouted Finley as well

-Statue

-Weak arm on outs and comebacks (balls are late or just don’t have the power)

-Rythym and Timing Passer who needs to complete those slants and crossing patterns to get him going. Such a high completion percentage because of so many slants and quick designed passes to RB’s. Which shows the OC’s understanding of who he has behind center. He is the slant and crosser king.

-Makes quick reads (by design), not a lot of progression reading in the offense

-Stares down receivers 

-Not a lot of accuracy on the move, feet must be set to deliver any kind of power behind a ball

-Does have a decent touch on the deep ball

-One of the better back shoulder throwers I’ve scouted

-Harmon bailed him out a lot

-Makes some bone headed decisions in the face of pressure

-Pretty good feel for the pocket

-WCO QB

And he's older than your grandpa. 

Okay, not really, but a rookie who turns 25 during the season (even if it's at the end of the season) is old. We get people hitting free agency at that age. 

On 02/01/2019 at 11:52 PM, Counselor said:

Recently scouted Finley as well

-Statue

-Weak arm on outs and comebacks (balls are late or just don’t have the power)

-Rythym and Timing Passer who needs to complete those slants and crossing patterns to get him going. Such a high completion percentage because of so many slants and quick designed passes to RB’s. Which shows the OC’s understanding of who he has behind center. He is the slant and crosser king.

-Makes quick reads (by design), not a lot of progression reading in the offense

-Stares down receivers 

-Not a lot of accuracy on the move, feet must be set to deliver any kind of power behind a ball

-Does have a decent touch on the deep ball

-One of the better back shoulder throwers I’ve scouted

-Harmon bailed him out a lot

-Makes some bone headed decisions in the face of pressure

-Pretty good feel for the pocket

-WCO QB

Good breakdown.  Pretty much exactly what i see there.

Finley is pretty much AJ McCarron v2, so far as i can tell.  He'll probably play in the league and bounce around as a backup...maybe even generate some sort of bizarre near-trade interest at some point from the Hue Jackson or something.  But there's nothing there that suggests to me that he's got the tools or mentality to be anything more than a risk-averse "captain checkdown" steady eddy backup at the next level.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

And he's older than your grandpa. 

Okay, not really, but a rookie who turns 25 during the season (even if it's at the end of the season) is old. We get people hitting free agency at that age. 

Also this.  He's going to be an old Captain Checkdown backup.  xD

If you draft him at a reasonable point with that sort of low upside backup, "he is what he is" expectation in mind...i don't know how much the age thing really matters.  As long as you're not really expecting him to develop into more than he is today.  Sure he'll be older, but if you get a rookie contract's worth of no fuss bargain price backup QB service out of him, can see a team being plenty happy with that.

If someone ends up drafting him higher thinking there's any real chance he's might develop into a starter for them at some point, even as WCO guy or a stopgap...that's where the age thing really weighs in, and the potential for disappointment looms large.

Finley is marginally draftable. He has no traits that make up for his field blindness and tendency to turn the ball over at crunch time. Yes he won accolades and threw for big stats during the regular seasons, but the League is crunch time almost every game. He got benched during the Gator Bowl for Pete's sake. Lesser version of Andy Dalton.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2019 at 10:45 PM, Counselor said:

Recently Scouted Lock and while Ozzy probably has a more in depth assessment than I do this is what I see.

-All Arm, foot mechanics are bad

-Backpedals in the face of pressure and doesn’t have a good sense for pocket timing or edge presence and therefore has poor pocket awareness

-Smart with the football. If it isn’t there usually knows to get rid of the football. (When he does sense the pressure)

-Not the gunslinger mentality despite the arm strength but also a negative because there is not a killer mentality.

-Pretty decent athlete 

-Has an nfl caliber arm

Locks accuracy issues stem from his footwork in my opinion. He is frustrating because he either stops foot movement (I hate dead feet in the pocket) too soon or backpedals after setting feet instead of stepping up into a throw. Might be able to get away with that in college with his arm strength but not happening in the nfl. He needs refinement and if he can get a coach to really fix the footwork he has the other tools. 

Pretty much identical to my notes on him.  The footwork is pretty terrible.  Always throwing off his back foot leading to accuracy issues and falls back in the face of pressure.  However when he actually steps up in the pocket and puts his entire body into a throw it goes where he wants it to.

I watched Will Grier today as well as Case Keenum is a pretty perfect comp and explains his game almost perfectly.

Edited by Chwf3rd25

10 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Pretty much identical to my notes on him.  The footwork is pretty terrible.  Always throwing off his back foot leading to accuracy issues and falls back in the face of pressure.  However when he actually steps up in the pocket and puts his entire body into a throw it goes where he wants it to.

I watched Will Grier today as well as Case Keenum is a pretty perfect comp and explains his game almost perfectly.

Grier has a better arm than Case

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

I literally scrolled down to write this exact same comment.

So Tyree Jackson declared. Must have seen the lack of top end QBs in this draft and jumped on the opportunity.

Big mistake or huge mistake? I can't see him being successful in the NFL at his current level of development.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:18 AM, Counselor said:

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I literally scrolled down to write this exact same comment.

Will Ferrell might have a better arm than Case. 

(OK that's too far...but you get the idea)

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Will Ferrell might have a better arm than Case. 

(OK that's too far...but you get the idea)

But does Uncle RICO?

17 minutes ago, Counselor said:

But does Uncle RICO?

Well, we all know he could have taken state championships in '82.

1 hour ago, Nuclear So & So said:

So Tyree Jackson declared. Must have seen the lack of top end QBs in this draft and jumped on the opportunity.

Big mistake or huge mistake? I can't see him being successful in the NFL at his current level of development.

Teams will tell themselves he's another Cam, but he's much less refined as a passer and runner. Intriguing developmental guy, but not worth more than a mid-late round pick from what I've seen.

3 hours ago, reamer said:

Teams will tell themselves he's another Cam, but he's much less refined as a passer and runner. Intriguing developmental guy, but not worth more than a mid-late round pick from what I've seen.

He's more of a poor man's Logan Thomas. Maybe he has more upside, but right now, no way he's a successful QB out the gate and probably not within the next 4 years. 

I've watched two games of Drew Lock (Florida and Memphis) so far and charted them for mechanics, accuracy, etc, not really for anticipation/decision-making. His accuracy wasn't terrible in the Memphis game but that's Memphis so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I'm going to watch his games against Alabama and Georgia later, but this is what I have from the first two games:

Charting Catalog: D. Lock, QB, Missouri
Release Footwork Velocity Accuracy
55% Good + 21% Good + 56% Good + 52% Good +
77% Mediocre + 60% Mediocre + 86% Mediocre + 75% Mediocre +
23% Bad 40% Bad 14% Bad 25% Bad

These accuracy statistics look pretty okay but are really inflated by a good performance against a mediocre Memphis team (Good+% against Florida was just 38%). I haven't been super impressed with Lock, what I've gathered:

- Good arm but can't always make up for bad footwork 

- Good velocity but the 14% bad are snail-slow

- Accuracy is good short but spotty further down the field

- Footwork needs improvement

- Decision-making needs improvement

Edited by AlNFL19