2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

No Daniel Jones is more likely gonna be your Blaine Gabbert our of this class 

Why do you say this? Gabbert sucked because he crumbled in the face of pressure. That's literally Daniel Jones' best trait. He stands in and takes wicked hits while delivering strikes all game long. I'd go back and watch how tough Jones hangs in the pocket. He seriously got mauled in 2-3 seconds on almost every snap and didn't panic or lose accuracy. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Counselor said:

This is laughable. Locks footwork is worse than Mahomes coming out. Lock back pedals in the face of pressure and doesn’t set his feet on throws with pressure. He also doesn’t keep his feet active in a clean pocket. His feet come to a dead stop and then when there is pressure he back pedals. If his feet were active he could step up in the pocket.

It's laughable to think that Mahomes had noticeably better footwork than Lock, but it isn't worth arguing about it. The point is from the neck up not the knees down.

J

19 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why do you say this? Gabbert sucked because he crumbled in the face of pressure. That's literally Daniel Jones' best trait. He stands in and takes wicked hits while delivering strikes all game long. I'd go back and watch how tough Jones hangs in the pocket. He seriously got mauled in 2-3 seconds on almost every snap and didn't panic or lose accuracy. 

The dude who is Blaine Gabbert is Jarrett Stidham. Throws a pretty ball from a clean pocket and can go through progressions. Would have been drafted Gabbert-style last year too high. This year, the poor play of the Auburn offensive line exposed his total inability to hang in and complete throws under pressure. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

It's laughable to think that Mahomes had noticeably better footwork than Lock, but it isn't worth arguing about it. The point is from the neck up not the knees down.

J

He did point blank. He kept his feet active in the pocket stepped up in the pocket in the face of pressure. If you can’t see the difference I can’t help you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

He did point blank. He kept his feet active in the pocket stepped up in the pocket in the face of pressure. If you can’t see the difference I can’t help you. 

Different issues I'll give you but, again, the feet are not the primary concern. It's from the neck up.

J

42 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

How is Kyler Murray even draftable right now with such questionable commitment? You can tell his heart isn’t in it at all and that’s just a recipe for disaster.

He's the best QB in the draft, that's how he's draftable. You can't say what "his heart is in" if you don't know him. The only thing that is clear is that he's trying to leverage the A's into making an offer the NFL can't beat because, right now, an NFL team can easily make him a much better offer.

On 31/01/2019 at 7:11 AM, Counselor said:

This is laughable. Locks footwork is worse than Mahomes coming out. Lock back pedals in the face of pressure and doesn’t set his feet on throws with pressure. He also doesn’t keep his feet active in a clean pocket. His feet come to a dead stop and then when there is pressure he back pedals. If his feet were active he could step up in the pocket.

Yeah.  The thing that's really concerning to me with Lock is that when his footwork does really come apart under pressure, it feels like it pretty much always devolves into this panicky frantic backpedal with back foot throw wilting away.  Even in college, Mahomes footwork would go freelance quite frequently, but he'd at least show flashes of using it to move laterally or roll out to escape or reposition in the pocket.  Trying to find a place to throw from, even if the footwork was still sloppy there.  Compared to where Lock often looks reminiscent of Gabbert, just looking like he's trying to run away from the pocket and get as far from the LoS as possible or something.  Part of it might be down to the system and coaching...but the guy hasn't changed that aspect under pressure appreciably over ~4 years as a college starter.  That's a lot of reinforcement of a very bad habit.  Is he going to break it right away with NFL coaching after 4 years of not doing so?

It's a bit scary.

Footwork, you can fix.  If that's the problem, it's probably among the most "fixable" aspects.  Panic under pressure on the other hand, is less fixable.  If that's the problem, your best hope is going to be investing an absolute fortune in an impenetrable wall of an OLine or something, and hoping they don't do anything too catastrophic when they do get pressured.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  The thing that's really concerning to me with Lock is that when his footwork does really come apart under pressure, it feels like it pretty much always devolves into this panicky frantic backpedal with back foot throw wilting away.  Even in college, Mahomes footwork would go freelance quite frequently, but he'd at least show flashes of using it to move laterally or roll out to escape or reposition in the pocket.  Trying to find a place to throw from, even if the footwork was still sloppy there.  Compared to where Lock often looks reminiscent of Gabbert, just looking like he's trying to run away from the pocket and get as far from the LoS as possible or something.  Part of it might be down to the system and coaching...but the guy hasn't changed that aspect under pressure appreciably over ~4 years as a college starter.  That's a lot of reinforcement of a very bad habit.  Is he going to break it right away with NFL coaching after 4 years of not doing so?

It's a bit scary.

Footwork, you can fix.  If that's the problem, it's probably among the most "fixable" aspects.  Panic under pressure on the other hand, is less fixable.  If that's the problem, your best hope is going to be investing an absolute fortune in an impenetrable wall of an OLine or something, and hoping they don't do anything too catastrophic when they do get pressured.

When I talk about footwork I’m talking about a broad umbrella of it under pressure, clean pocket, on the move, etc. His footwork is bad

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 10:11 AM, IDOG_det said:

He's the best QB in the draft, that's how he's draftable. You can't say what "his heart is in" if you don't know him. The only thing that is clear is that he's trying to leverage the A's into making an offer the NFL can't beat because, right now, an NFL team can easily make him a much better offer.

traits do have to do with draft status. Also Kyler is not as thick as I thought he would be. I felt he was built more like a RB, I mean if he was like an extra 15-20lbs of muscles maybe I’d be more comfortable placing him in an NFL offense. I just can’t justify spending a first on a guy who is probably going to start breaking down halfway through his second contract. He’s going to run into the same issue that plagues RG3 and Cam they can’t stay healthy cause of their style of play. Now remember, Murray is nearly half a foot shorter than RG3 with about 30lbs of difference. 

I think he knows this and is just trying to force the A’s to pay him. If someone traded up for Kyler, history points to it being a franchise altering mistake. 

Edited by YogiBiz

On 2/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, IDOG_det said:

o.O  I don't even think this and I am a Sooner alum and fan. 14 games and people want to anoint him with this? Must not have watched the 'Bama game...that was ugly. Yes, the D was bad but we knew that was going to happen. Did not know Murray was going to get so rattled and confused. smh

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

o.O  I don't even think this and I am a Sooner alum and fan. 14 games and people want to anoint him with this? Must not have watched the 'Bama game...that was ugly. Yes, the D was bad but we knew that was going to happen. Did not know Murray was going to get so rattled and confused. smh

I'm not "anointing" him I'm giving him the proper credit for putting up the most efficient season for a quarterback in the history of college football. I don't care that he only started one season, he was sitting behind a Heisman winner before winning a Heisman of his own. The idea that a quarterback has to start for multiple years is antiquated and dumb. Is it unusual? Sure. But it's only unusual because most QBs like Kyler Murray don't usually have to wait behind a QB like Baker Mayfield. Also, of course, I saw the game against Alabama. One game doesn't make up an evaluation.