2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

11 hours ago, skhurst0398 said:

He threw for 300 and ran for a 100 more. Wouldn't exactly anoint that is a wilting on his part. It's also not his fault that the Big 12 has no defenses in it's league. Baker Mayfield struggled against Georgia last year in the semi finals when he finally faced a defense. 

Actually, the Sooners were ahead by quite a margin until Lincoln Riley got conservative with his play calls in the 3rd quarter. Too much coasting allowed Georgia to get back in the game. 

Your point isn't relevant. It's revisionist history. Go back and watch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Actually, the Sooners were ahead by quite a margin until Lincoln Riley got conservative with his play calls in the 3rd quarter. Too much coasting allowed Georgia to get back in the game. 

Your point isn't relevant. It's revisionist history. Go back and watch.

Wasn't speaking to how the Sooners played as a whole or why they lost the game. Was specifically pointing to how Baker Mayfield played, which wasn't comparable to how he played in the regular season. But regardless, remove the line of how Baker Mayfield played against a top ranked team in the country and we still circle back around to the fact that Kyler Murray managed to throw for 300 yards and run for 100 against a team that actually had a defense. You preached that one year of starting doesn't make a quarterback great but one "bad" game doesn't change the evaluation of a player. Otherwise the entire draft would be full of undraftable prospects.  

36 minutes ago, skhurst0398 said:

Wasn't speaking to how the Sooners played as a whole or why they lost the game. Was specifically pointing to how Baker Mayfield played, which wasn't comparable to how he played in the regular season. But regardless, remove the line of how Baker Mayfield played against a top ranked team in the country and we still circle back around to the fact that Kyler Murray managed to throw for 300 yards and run for 100 against a team that actually had a defense. You preached that one year of starting doesn't make a quarterback great but one "bad" game doesn't change the evaluation of a player. Otherwise the entire draft would be full of undraftable prospects.  

You're leaving out the 52% Completion rate. Ouch. His usual for the season was about 70%.

Baker vs. Georgia? 65% Completion rate. BIG DIFFERENCE. 

Kyler was rattled vs. Bama, Baker was not vs. Georgia.

When a player has a total of 14 starts, performance in their biggest game should be scrutinized. Kyler's was bad.

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You're leaving out the 52% Completion rate. Ouch. His usual for the season was about 70%.

Baker vs. Georgia? 65% Completion rate. BIG DIFFERENCE. 

Kyler was rattled vs. Bama, Baker was not vs. Georgia.

When a player has a total of 14 starts, performance in their biggest game should be scrutinized. Kyler's was bad.

There is other context to the stat lines you've added for him as well, like the fact that the kid was under constant pressure and was sacked multiple times when the offensive line barely gave up any sacks all year. Regardless, my overall point is that one game doesn't make him unworthy of being considered a top quarterback prospect. If you don't like the traits he displayed from the QB position during the course of the entire season, then that's fair, but not one game.

3 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Just saw Kyler Murray's Dan Patrick interview. Ouch. He looked like a socially awkward teenager on camera for the first time. There have been successful NFL QBs that are quieter than usual but I've never seen something like that.

Mariota was very quiet, but it was a confident quiet.

20 minutes ago, Techbert said:

Mariota was very quiet, but it was a confident quiet.

Exactly. Mariota was the first person I thought of when thinking of quieter guys. He doesn't seem awkward though. My concern with Murray in the NFL is that he'll be playing with grown arse men. You hear about an O-lineman or WR getting frustrated and mouthing off a little bit. Will Murray stand up for himself and give it back to them or will he just blankly stare and mumble? You gotta command respect as an NFL QB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’ve watched more of Haskins, His accuracy under pressure is very spotty. He had a lot of clean pockets and he’s great at that but when he gets pressured he tends to miss a bit too frequently for my liking. 

If anyone drafts haskins it is a project for sure. 

Accuracy on the move or under pressure seems like a trait that is recoverable. 

7 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Just saw Kyler Murray's Dan Patrick interview. Ouch. He looked like a socially awkward teenager on camera for the first time. There have been successful NFL QBs that are quieter than usual but I've never seen something like that.

Did you watch the whole interview or just the short clip the media has spread around that makes him look terrible? 

I recommend watching the full 13 minutes if you haven't. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

If you are going to take a flyer on a quarterback from mid-rounds on, who is your guy? I think mine is Jordan Taa'amu. I would not spend a high pick, but he's sound, accurate and has room to develop. 

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been more about Ta'Amu. That Ole Miss passing offense was dang good, and Lodge was able to step right in and outright dominate stat-wise at times across from Brown once Metcalf was out. The question is how much was Ta'Amu. 

My guy is Tyree Jackson. Watching extensive tape, he's had a decent chunk of the prettiest throws and most impressive throws out of everyone I've dug into (which is basically everyone besides Gardner Minshew and Easton Stick at this point). When he's on, he's on. The questions are consistency and level of competition, but a lot of the throws are crazy accurate. I was expecting a big guy with a big arm, but he flashes remarkable touch and is way more precise than I anticipated. He's not a runner, either - which, I'll admit, I was half-expecting. Pleasantly surprised, and I'm intrigued enough that I'd spend a late 3 or 4 on him.