AlNFL19

2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

I watched some of Daniel Jones and wasn't really super impressed. Here's my rankings so far:

1. Kyler Murray (Rounds 1-3)

2. Dwayne Haskins (Rounds 2-5)

3. Will Grier (Rounds 2-5)

4. Drew Lock (Rounds 2-5)

5. Daniel Jones (Rounds 4-7)

6. Ryan Finley (Rounds 6-7)

I don't really get the hype. His release is either good or ugly, his decision-making isn't a strength, his accuracy wanes outside the numbers, he takes too many sacks because his internal clock isn't great, and his footwork wasn't great in the games I watched. He also looked bad under pressure. I also don't get the Cutcliffe thing - Jones didn't look great in the games I saw. He's got a big arm and average accuracy but I don't think he's really got a ton going for him if he doesn't clean up a lot of stuff.

4 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

I watched some of Daniel Jones and wasn't really super impressed. Here's my rankings so far:

1. Kyler Murray (Rounds 1-3)

2. Dwayne Haskins (Rounds 2-5)

3. Will Grier (Rounds 2-5)

4. Drew Lock (Rounds 2-5)

5. Daniel Jones (Rounds 4-7)

6. Ryan Finley (Rounds 6-7)

I don't really get the hype. His release is either good or ugly, his decision-making isn't a strength, his accuracy wanes outside the numbers, he takes too many sacks because his internal clock isn't great, and his footwork wasn't great in the games I watched. He also looked bad under pressure. I also don't get the Cutcliffe thing - Jones didn't look great in the games I saw. He's got a big arm and average accuracy but I don't think he's really got a ton going for him if he doesn't clean up a lot of stuff.

agreed about Daniel Jones. He screams backup. Tough, gritty. Will stay in the league for a decade but doesn't have starter potential, to me at least. If some team drafts him round 1 they will make a big mistake.

I have a feeling Finley will fall to the Pats 3rd Rounder and he comes the next Brady (not nearly as accomplished as Brady but what I mean by this is a solid starter that’s stolen outside the first two rounds). Watch the guy play, extremely smart and makes his progression better than some current NFL starters. Improvises well and extremely calm and composed under pressure. Great accuracy. Only slightly above average arm strength though.  Scouts hate him cause his arm is Alex Smith level (I’d rank it above that, some of his deep throws are rather impressive) and  he’s not athletic. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I have a feeling Finley will fall to the Pats 3rd Rounder and he comes the next Brady (not nearly as accomplished as Brady but what I mean by this is a solid starter that’s stolen outside the first two rounds). Watch the guy play, extremely smart and makes his progression better than some current NFL starters. Improvises well and extremely calm and composed under pressure. Great accuracy. Only slightly above average arm strength though.  Scouts hate him cause his arm is Alex Smith level (I’d rank it above that, some of his deep throws are rather impressive) and  he’s not athletic. 

Hmm. That's not what I saw watching Finley. 

But I mean, as a Pats fan, if you're right, I would not be upset.

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I would not be shocked to see none of these QBs ever become a Top 15 QB though. Pretty bad QB class overall. However it’s a good class to gamble with a Mid 2nd-Mid 3rd Rounder, lot of value there. 

And likewise, I wouldn't be shocked to see a bunch become quality starters in the 15-5 range. 

Haskins is raw and has streaks where it's just not clicking. Lock doesn't have a commanding personality, but I think he's one of the safest options for a 1 who can become a good starter. Jones looks overhyped, but he has the body of a starter and flashes great acumen. Just needs to work on consistency, and that's where he's more of a Tannehill. Finley reminds me of Alex Smith, Brian Hoyer, or Tom Brady. Kind of a mix of the three. If he can show some wow leadership and more clutch ability, I could see him becoming a top-10. Grier just needs to figure out how to keep the ball from dying on him at times. Improve the arm strength and throw on the run ability, and then I'll buy the hype. Tyree Jackson has stud potential IMHO. He needs to improve decision-making and that's really 90% of what I see with him. Stidham has been clutch before, and will make some wow throws, but then there are times where he's just overwhelmed. Get more level headed. He has great athleticism, though. Rypien is Matt Moore mixed with Kirk Cousins. He could start in a pinch, and maybe earn an extended look with potential in the 12 to top-18 QB range. Did I miss someone?

They're all works in progress. But so were Goff, Watson, Mahomes, and Mayfield. Mayfield fixed his happy feet and that improved his accuracy. Also has stayed out of trouble. Goff has been picking up on the mental aspect of the game, but has been a mixed bag in the clutch. Crazy good when it's on the line at times, or a garbage-fire. No in-between. Watson has improved his deep-ball accuracy a bit and has improved his decision-making. Mahomes hasn't improved so much with the decision-making, but his playmaking has outweighed that flaw.

It's all just about the coaches getting the most out of them and developing them.

Oh, yeah, forgot Murray. I don't see too many fixable problems with him, it's all just about frame limitations and potentially nonexistent dedication concerns. 

3 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

he takes too many sacks because his internal clock isn't great

Or because he had one of the worst OL's in CFB last year. Daniel Jones was hit more than any other QB I watched last season. His OL sucks and routinely gave up pressure. Like, unblocked pressures right up the middle. All the time. Their OL was atrocious as were their skill position players. Daniel Jones was a 1-man show and had zero help. His situation was worse than Josh Allen's last year, which is saying something.